What is the Alliance?

jpariury

Duke
Mike Ventrella said:
The more we are a true Alliance and less of a group of disparate games with similar rules, the better.

The rules thread wasn't really the place for this discussion, but I'm curious. I can read a lot of things into it, based on my own filters and prejudices, but I figured I should ask for clarity. What do you mean when you say "we are a true Alliance"? What is a step too far, and what are the necessary components to be "true Alliance"?

Understanding that the spirit of the rules is just as important, or more, than the wording of the rulebook. Also, being willing to talk to, understand and learn from others about how they see those rules... and not condemning others because the interpretation might be different, especially if there is great geographic distance and little to no player crossover between where you're from and where they're from. We all tend to think that our way is the best way, and it's inflexibility in talking to each other than sometimes leads to the biggest problems (even if the attitude is unintended).

A lot of it is what we already understand pretty widely for the Alliance to mean; not having people buy skills in one chapter that don't exist in the ARB or purchase multiple of a skill restricted to once-ever, or play a race that is only a PC-able race in one place, or class. Hobling fighters with two-handed swords should never exist anywhere.

A Prison is a Prison, a Bind is a Bind, a Purify is always has the same incant and fixes the same things. Occasional plot hoo-doo is cool, but I should be able to transfer my character to Oregon, SoMN, New Jersey, Calgary or New Hampshire and have my normal understanding of the rules, logistics, treasure, monster skills, and damage calls apply with little to no explanation needed.

Back