What is this?

atvance

Hello all,

Will preface this by saying, I've never LARP'ed before and know only as much as the documentary 'Darkon' depicted.

Basically, I've got some very basic questions I think anyone on this forum can probably answer for me, considering I know next to nothing about this activity (but have potential interest in).

So, about me... 27, new to the Twin Cities, avid PC gamer, works in IT field.

I appreciate your responses in advance:

- How many people are there that actively participate in the monthly events?
- What's the age range?
- Why do you LARP?
- Are there other groups in the Twin Cities that you are aware of?
- Anything else you'd like to share or have words to convince me to give it a shot?

Thanks again all. The movie intrigued me and I happened upon this forum to hopefully find some answers.

Glad you found us. First to answer your questions.

The last few events we have had around 50 to 60 people. Usually about a third of them are NPCing.

- What's the age range?
Our chapter has players ranging from 15 to their late 50s (i think).

- Why do you LARP?
The reason I LARP is because its fun. Getting the chance to play a character through their eyes and ears. Being placed right in the thick of it. The combat is fast paced, and the role play is always there.

- Are there other groups in the Twin Cities that you are aware of?
Not that I am aware of though if you do find one let us know.

- Anything else you'd like to share or have words to convince me to give it a shot?
Ultimately you won't know if its for you or not until you give it a shot. There is an event coming up at the beginning of August. Your first event is free and you get to redo your character after the first time you play them. Also, there is the Soap Factory event at the end of this month. I wouldn't personally recommend it for a first event but I would recommend coming down and walking through. You can get some costume ideas and are more then welcome to pull me off to the side and ask some questions. I'll be the one in the awesome hat.

I would recommend watching the movie "Monster Camp". Its on netflix and is a documentary about Nero LARP which Alliance split off from.
Just let us know if you have any questions or anything. I can also help you make a character and such.

Why do you LARP?
To spend time with fellow LARPers who have become wonderful friends. The games wouldn't be nearly as wonderful if the people of our chapter weren't there. My first event, I realized that we have some of the most welcoming and trustworthy people I've ever met, and since then, I've gotten myself a small army of people who I consider good friends. The deep immersion into plot and the roleplaying are also big reasons. It's really different actually talking and moving your way through a fantastical world instead of merely thinking about how you would be in D&D, reading a novel, etc. Some folks go for the fighting, which I merely see as a fun and exercising addition to the roleplaying aspect of the game.

Anything else you'd like to share or have words to convince me to give it a shot?
As I said above, we have an extremely helpful player base and are always great at introducing the game to new players. The first game is also free, so you're not really losing anything in giving it a try (except for some time, of course).
matrim1985 said:
I would recommend watching the movie "Monster Camp". Its on netflix and is a documentary about Nero LARP which Alliance split off from.
To be honest, I wouldn't. While the movie does display our system to some degree, the way it turned out does not shine a good light on the game, in my opinion. But to each their own. If you want to watch it, give it a shot.

As a beginner larper myself, I know how you feel! I actually got interested because I watched the "Monster Camp" movie, although I have to agree with Gandian that it does not portray the SoMN alliance experience completely! Especially because the owner of that chapter seems to be having a nervous breakdown, which is the point of the movie. I have also recently watched "Darkon" and can say that our larp is NOT the same, although like any LARP game, the role-play aspect is still there. Although the Darkon system is similar in that it has dark-elves, the Alliance rules are way more safety-oriented. There is no hitting on the head, no rushing or knocking people to the ground, no grappling of any kind, and it is a point-based system rather than combat based, I feel that this only equalizes the playing field, so that someone with actual sword-fighting experience but no game experience still only does 2 normal damage, whereas someone who might be a technically horrible fighter can work their character up to swinging 10 magic or something, really giving meaning to the skill tree. And finally, way different from Darkon, we have absolutely NO ALCOHOL. The drinking seemed to be a rather large part of the Darkon game, and outside of role-playing intoxication or euphoria elixirs, you will hopefully not be getting wasted and complaining about the Baron in our game, lol.
I larp because it's a healthy past-time (better than drinking at the bar or sitting around watching tv), and because it gives me a creative outlet for my imagination! Life is very stressful at times, and for those 2 days that we drive 6 hrs or more to play, I can leave that world of stress behind. With the best meaning, it feels a bit like the summer camps I went to as a kid, only for adults, on my time, doing exactly what I want to do.

Atvance, mind if I ask you what your first name is?

It really is something that you have to try out for yourself. Also, PLEASE buy a weapon skill for your first game. A lot of spell casters think they'll maximize how many spells they can grab... well the weapon skill is way worth it!

50 60 the last few events

-Age range
Actualy the typical age range for our chapter is closer to 19-30. With some outliers on both sides. There is one or two 17 year olds, and one or two 40 year olds, but the vast majority of the player base falls with in the 19 - early 30s range.

-Why do I LARP
It is fun, I have found many a good new friend and unlike an MMO I know these people face to face and they live near by(Once an avid MMO player, prefer face to face getting to know). I am getting out and exercising which is great.
Also I like how much easier it is to get into a character and how much more I have invested in my character. How it feels like I truly grow and change, like it is alive, how I get involved in plots and the world is so much deeper then it ever could be in a Pen and paper based game, or a computer game, as the plot involves the direct interaction with other people, combined with the grand set up and application of a full represent world, giving you the best of both worlds in an unprecedented synergy.

-Other groups
There are some other purely combat based games around, with less regular meetings, and not much in the way of plot. It really depends on what you are looking for, but no matter what I would suggest that you come to a game, cause though you might not think it is what you are looking for, trust me, you wont know until you try as the experiences is one of a kind.

-Convincing words
It is free your first game

Hello and welcome to the group! I am one of the plot staff members (sort of comparable to a DM).

The SoMN games have been holding steady with an attendance between 40 and 60 people (That is the total for PCs and NPCs [people who come and play those things that go bump in the night... as well as townspeople]). Anyone age 14 and up (16 without a guardian) is welcome to come

and play. I would say that most of the players fall in the median age range of 25 to 34, but that is just a guess.
Personally, I LARP because it is fun. I enjoy having physical representation in my role play and combat (though I do also play Camarilla), Boffer (foam weapons used in combat) LARPing gets me out of the house and active, and it is a great way to meet new friends.

I do know of other groups in the area. First off, there are at least 3 Amtgard groups. I have played with some Dagohir and Belgarth groups, as well as CBA and Assassin's Guild, and if you are more into role play and less into boffer as a sport (which the last 5 mentioned are more along the lines of), there are several White Wolf games in the area.

Alliance holds a very good middle ground between being a Role Play game and a Boffer game. One thing I do stress is that it is a GAME not a SPORT. There is a progressive, unrepeatable plot line that the PCs are playing in. Most of the conflict will be with forces outside of the other characters, though it is not unheard of for conflict to arise amongst them.
Don't be afraid of the rulebook! While it is somewhat daunting to look at it and realize "wow, I have to remember 90 some pages of rules?!?" Those aren't all going to apply to you, and you don't need to know them all before you start the game. Many of them will be learned as you go along.

For a lot of the new player basics, follow this link: http://mnalliance.com/new-players/

I'm going to leave it at that for now, as this post has become a wall of text...

I got into it also by subtle suggestions from the Cheeks and watching "Monster Camp"(I think it's a good watch, just realize Dave G(SoMN owner) is NO WHERE the level of flaky the owner in the documentary, not saying Dave is flaky or anything)

-Age range
I'd agree the 20's are a good amount. I don't know the ages of our youngest or oldest but I'm terrible with that sort of thing (I've carded many 40-50 year olds at my part time)

-Why do I LARP
It's a blast! I look at it as a weekend to loosen up and get a crazy workout from it (especially Saturday night). The RP is going on all the time. You can just sit in the tavern, ruffle some feathers with other players, go on modules(quest)...basically anything, it's open! You also meet some pretty sweet people you wouldn't of met before, and everyone is friendly, even if their character isn't.

-Other groups
It may be for you, it may not, you just need to give it a shot. You won't get the full experience by just being an NPC one game; likewise you won't get everything by being a PC one game. There is a lot but the experiences are fun.

-Convincing words
Free lodging, free food, and 40 hours of a great weekend to remember.

p.s. Be it a dagger, a staff or a sword. Having a weapon will allow you to do so much during modules.

I'm pretty new to LARP myself. I've been to maybe 4 or 5 events now (6 maybe?). It's overwhelming at first, with all the rules and restrictions, but these rules help to keep the roleplay fair for everyone. I'm still learning new things every time I've participated and, after a handful of times, I still occasionally mess up my spellcasts and such. Thankfully, the people in the Southern MN chapter are very helpful and forgiving of the occasional mistake.

Like others have said, you won't know if Alliance LARP is for you until you try it. Come to an event and just spectate if you want. And don't be afraid to ask questions!

seriously dude... best avatar ever.

Back