What is your favorite encounter?

One of my favorite encounters was where we were doing a jump-between-the-rocks-there's-hot-lava situation. As a Fighter with legerdemain (never again!) I was asked to jump between a series of rock platforms suspended over lava with some of other other folks with that particular skill. Our goal was to blow a hole in a lava tube so we could flood an enemy encampment with molten rock thus bypassing a particularly messy battle that we might not have been able to win.

I was wearing plate and chainmail and we had to fight our way through fire elementals the entire way. I ended up having to go back across the platforms a couple of times to either retrieve new traps (whoops!) or to gather up fallen enemies (no bueno!). Luckily just previous to the encounter I ended up with an item that gave me 1/4 damage from fire which made me one of the hardiest people for this specific encounter.

At the very end, I found myself covering the trap layer with my own body and shield so that I took all of the damage that would have interrupted his setting of said trap and quaffing potions to stay alive. I think it was @norman b whom I protected during this ridiculous exchange.

I am still amazed we made it through that. I came out of that absolutely exhausted.

Boy there are a lot...! Two of them come to mind right now but this one I think is the one I am going to have to go with.

So the first one is from way back in 2004 in Alliance Oregon and it was a group entirely made up of highschool friends. So two of us found an entrance to this muddy cave and we decided to get together and go for it!

So no poop there we were face to sword with a basalisc! We have no idea how tough he is so we go toe to toe with this bugger five of us against it. All of us no greater than level 4 we strike at it with our pointy implements dodging two and fro and soon it becomes clear that we are grossly overmatched.

One of the clear indicators of this fact is that two of our compatriots are now in full bendy posey mode. So there we are me and another rogue on the front line holding back the foul beast and we yell to our Scholar companion to grab the other (now paralyzed) fighter and drag him back. He does nothing. Again we yell at him and he does nothing. Finally we both look at him and yell "Get the fighter back!"

And in that moment of clarity the other rogue and I look at eachother and realize that the scholar has been paralyzed this whole time! He had this look on his face that screamed "we're all gonna die!"

So we quickly form a new plan thw other rogue grabs the scholar then the fighter while I hold the beast off. We tuck tail and I run out of there feeling the wind from the beasts claws as I run from it. We get outside make sure everyone is alive and wait for everyone to un freeze and we live to fight another day.

This was a great time for me cause it was really my first ever lowbee mod. Despite the fact we almost died horribly we had a great time and it's really fun being a lowbee sometimes.

Back