What kind of world do you want?

Ezri said:
Are they still working with the theory that vaccines might be a cause? I could swear I read somewhere that in states where they took teh mercury out the rate went even higher. If I can find the article again I'll post it.

The evidence is that vaccines do NOT cause autism. Here's a link to a recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abs ... 47/19/1477
and an even more recent one:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/13/1281

The fear of vaccines due to this fear some people have that vaccines are linked to autism (it's not) has caused a backlash--in Great Britain there have recently been measles epidemics.
http://news.scotsman.com/mmrvaccine/Cyn ... 2310692.jp
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1742177.stm

Here's a link that describes the whole controversy in detail
http://skepdic.com/skeptimedia/autismthimerosal.html

(Edited to fix link)

Hey Mikey, hows the kids doing?

Update! With the ongoing therapy [ 13hs a week ABA (applied behavioral anaylsis), 1hr a week of OT (occupational thereapy) and 2 hrs a week of speech ] diet change (Gluten & Caesin free), Methyl B-12 shots, and vitamin supplements my kids are almost indistinguishable from a normal 2-yr old! To everyone dealing with this same issue, there is hope, don't give up.

2yearsold114.jpg

Let's celebrate!!!

carlosbbqparty3.jpg

That's awesome news!!! **does happy dance**

They're lucky to have parents like you. I've unfortunately worked with a lot of teens and even adults who are pretty severely at a disadvantage because their parents refused to even acknowledge that there was something different about them when they were younger and they never got the help they needed. Kudos to you guys.

That's fantastic man!

Hello. I'm the father of an autistic boy, too (nine-years old). I suppose it's easier on us than it is on some people because our son is able to hug, kiss, and tell us he loves us. In fact, because our son is able to communicate, we haven't really considered it a disorder, so much as a different way of thinking. I've even entertained the notion that autism represents the beginnings of a new phase of human development. For example, when dinosaurs first evolved feathers and flightless wings, those developments seemed "useless". It was only later that they took flight. Think about it- we're in a computer age now and many autistic people end up in computer-related fields even as the rates of autism grow. That line of discussion is all very academic, though.

The real human issue is, at this point we're seeing a lot of people suffering. Whether that suffering is representative of "growing pains" or not, we all have to deal with the fallout, especially people with autism themselves.

I like to read Amanda Baggs' blog for more perspective. She's what would be considered a low functioning autistic person (she doesn't talk anymore), and before we had an internet, she would have been institutionalized without a voice. Thankfully, we live in a age where technology is allowing people like her to express themselves. She's a brilliant writer- to such a degree that some hard-headed folks think she's part of a hoax. In their minds, there's no way that there's a "real person" inside her body.

Here's a link to her blog:

http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org search for movies about her on her site and Youtube for a more visceral understanding. She does them herself.

She's helped reinforce to me that no matter how distant an autistic person seems face to face, there's just as much going on inside as there is with everyone else.

I hope this didn't come across as preachy or anything. I'm also not trying to sound critical of anyone posting to this thread. This is more for anyone who might be lurking and thinking that autism is something that it isn't, and that autistic people aren't as human as the rest of us. Sadly, there are people who think that way.

I was hoping you'd throw something up on here, man.

My daughter Ryason was diagnosed with PDD (pervasive development disorder) at her evaluation last week.

Mike, hearing how well your boys are doing is great encouragement.

I'm also SO thankful to be living in Washington county, PA. All of her doctor visits, therapies, and the wrap-around services she'll be getting soon (she was prescribed 25 hours a week at her eval) are 100% paid for by the county (and/or state.) I don't know yet what it will include, we're still waiting to get the official report from the evaluation.

Ry is 2 1/2 tomorrow, and just this past weekend said "hi" for the first time .... to the cat. :lol: The cats still get more "hi"s than I do. But it's okay, because I get the hugs.

Tyson said:
My daughter Ryason was diagnosed with PDD (pervasive development disorder) at her evaluation last week.

Mike, hearing how well your boys are doing is great encouragement.

I'm also SO thankful to be living in Washington county, PA. All of her doctor visits, therapies, and the wrap-around services she'll be getting soon (she was prescribed 25 hours a week at her eval) are 100% paid for by the county (and/or state.) I don't know yet what it will include, we're still waiting to get the official report from the evaluation.

Ry is 2 1/2 tomorrow, and just this past weekend said "hi" for the first time .... to the cat. :lol: The cats still get more "hi"s than I do. But it's okay, because I get the hugs.

I wish you the best of luck bro.....and remeber keep her away from the real Tyson :D

25 hours a week is amazing, my wife and I had to beg, borrow and steal to just get 13 each. However, with the addition of the Methyl B12 shots and the GFCF (Gluten Free, Casein Free) Diet, we've been very lucky to have our boys come a long long way. Brendan just learned to count to 10! I've seen Amanda's stuff and I can totally understand what is going on there. We could tell that the thing that got our children the most upset was the inability to express their desires, now that they are starting to be able, the learning curve has shot up unbelievably fast. Anything can be conquered, it just takes time, effort and a tireless devotion to make a change. I wish everyone good luck, and please continue to post questions, concerns and updates here, support is the best thing we can give each other. It's important to know we're not alone in our struggle.

~Mike

I'm mildly austistic myself. It's why I'm so damned stubborn at times. I believe I have auspergers? However that's spelled. So basically I've got the social problems but high functioning enough that most people don't notice it and just get mad before realizing I'm slightly autistic. :p A friend of mine says it's a gift because I speak my mind more often because I don't have the "social blockers" most people do. I don't see it myself. lol

I hate when I tell people I'm austic and they go "Oh like Rainman?" Makes me want to hit them. Rainman is an IDIOT Savant. I don't think he's austic. If these idiots payed any attention to Rainman they would also know if I was like Rainman I wouldn't be able to talk to them like I am now.

Actually, Rain Man was an autistic-savant.

Only knowing you through text-means on the net, we'll have to take your word for it. :D

Rainman could not have typed on the internet and held a normal conversation from what I saw from him. He was pretty much caught up in a set schedule of things.

Back