What size shield do people like?

DiodaGoat

I am working on making a coffin shield with the foam puzzle mat/corrugated plastic technique.

I'm a biggish guy so have a lot of surface area to cover, so right now I was planning a maximum size shield 24 inches wide and almost 36 inches long reaching almost exactly the maximum square area.

For those with that type of shield, would you recommend smaller?

Not sure if your numbers are a typo, but based on them you are about 333 sq" over the max of 531 sq" maximum area for shields.

If it was a rectangle, sure. It is a narrow coffin with a top dimension of ten inches and bottom of four. So a good chunk of surface area disappears.

Which is why I was asking if the numbers were a typo, the way it was described with the measurements told a different story=) You listed a width of 24 inches which didn't really specify the tapering angles.

10" to 4" is a REALLY narrow shield. I'd definitely interested in looking at it once it's done and seeing how it performs in combat.

I guess I am bad at explaining so I will start over.

I am looking to build a coffin shield. The top will be ten inches tapering out to 24 inches after over ten inches. It will then taper back down to 4 inches over another 25.5 inches for a total length of 35.5 inches. My math puts it at 527 sq inches.

The big question, is that too big for that style of shield. Looking to people with ultralight coffin shields for tips.

Makes mushc more sense, sorry, wasn't trying to be adversarial, just wanted to prevent disappointment with all the work if the math worked out how I thought it was described=). I would agree with Taddo though, I would be curious to see how it turns out. I'm not a shield user, but it sounds really narrow to me.

I would also make sure that the measurement from one corner to the opposing corner (upper right to lower left, for example) is not over 36".

That counts as a length not to exceed 36".

If my math is right, with the numbers you provided, it would come out to over 36". Not by much, but enough.

Nice things about rounding corners is diagonals are much less severe.

So to bring up my original post, I'm not worried about the legality of the shield. I can make that work. What I am curious about is is it practical for a coffin shield to be maximum size. From what I've seen of other shields out of this material combo, I believe people keep them smaller.

My coffin shield is nearly maximum size (I think I'm under by 4 sqin or so) and I love having a shield that large. Been using it for over a year. Other people from my in-game group have ended up making identical shields as well.

As our chapter's weapons and armor marshal I wouldn't measure a shield on the diagonal because that is not a dimension to be concerned about. Length and width are the dimensions involved in a shield. A shield 14.75" x 36" gives you an area of 531 square inches, no matter what the diagonal is, that is a legal shield.

No it's not. "The longest dimension of a shield cannot exceed 36 inches." On a rectangular shield, the longest dimension is the diagonal. If the diagonal is over 36 inches, that's not a legal shield.

I was tinkering with some numbers. You can make a coffin with a max height of 31" and the biggest width of 24" with the smaller lengths equal to 10". This gave me a total area of 527 sq inches, which still meets the total dimention requirement. I also checked the diagonal and it comes out to about roughly 33 inches.

My poor hi-jacked thread.

To go back on target, having fought against these larger shields (I use a punch shield personally), they're very good for a defense you put in place and hold a line with. Weapon attacks will bounce off with regularity. They are incredible packet targets though and magic will wreck your day.

^ What he said. I prefer a smaller shield so I can still avoid packets and move around quickly, but there's definitely something to be said for having a big shield you can just hold up as a passive defense. I think most people tend to use shields that are fairly close to max size.

I, personally, love my full-sized shield. Sure, I'm more vulnerable to spells but my packet dodging is only getting better with time. I ain't skirred.

Speaking from a non shield user perspective. I'm not a big fan of large shields, I find they block my vision when fighting with a shield fighter, and I tend to get hit with more packets as they dodge thrown spells I can't see through their shield. Just my 2 cents from the other side of the fence=)

I think it turned out well:
1238362_10100659275324157_2620333738516561636_n.jpg

Very nice!

Back