who do I need to talk to about.....

Can you guys direct me to who I need to talk to regarding game mechanics for armor in game. I meant to track some one down and ask them some questions regarding armor and how the armor points are calculated. If you can throw me an email address for staff to ask questions to, or have them email me, that would be great!

BoneDaddyThug said:
Can you guys direct me to who I need to talk to regarding game mechanics for armor in game. I meant to track some one down and ask them some questions regarding armor and how the armor points are calculated. If you can throw me an email address for staff to ask questions to, or have them email me, that would be great!
hit me up I can help you with that.

don't quote me or think what i say is completely right. this is just my guess from what i have seen as an NPC

Armor Type - the strong the mats its make from, the more you get. Leather ex. Normal -> Studded Leather -> Leather with sheet mental reinforcement.
Area Covered - the more it protects, the more your protected.

there may be other factors they go by, this again is all a guess from my view point.

I say ask Sara, she is the walking rule book after all.

A quick summary:
Armor materials
1 Point per location - Light non-metallic armor
2 points per location - Light metallic armor/Heavy non-metallic armor
3 points per location - Heavy metallic armor

Armor locations:
Hands/forearms
Upper arms/shoulders
Feet/Lower legs
Upper legs/groin

Double armor material value locations
Abdomen
Chest
Back
Head

Bonus points awarded for "in genre" and "master crafted".

Lower armor values are awarded for partial coverage of a location. This summary is by no means comprehensive, but you should get the idea.

hey looks like my guess was mostly right. hehehehe now i can make harder to kill npcs!

whorfin said:
A quick summary:

Abdomen
Chest
Back
Head

Double armor materials value... does that mean for heavy leather its 4pts per location? so for heavy leather ( in this case 16oz hardened leather) body armor, that covers the Chest, belly and back you would receive 4pts per location, for a total of 12pt for complete body armor? and in the case of Heavy metal @ 3pts per location, double value would be 6pts per location, Chest,Back and belly is valued at 18pt? I am reading the book trying to understand the rules clearer. that's why I am asking the questions. for some reason the way its reading in the book wasn't making sense to me. Partially I am sure its coming from smithing back ground, and I am used to 160z hardened leather being the equivalent strength of 16g mild plate steel.

BoneDaddyThug said:
whorfin said:
A quick summary:

Abdomen
Chest
Back
Head

Double armor materials value... does that mean for heavy leather its 4pts per location? so for heavy leather ( in this case 16oz hardened leather) body armor, that covers the Chest, belly and back you would receive 4pts per location, for a total of 12pt for complete body armor? and in the case of Heavy metal @ 3pts per location, double value would be 6pts per location, Chest,Back and belly is valued at 18pt? I am reading the book trying to understand the rules clearer. that's why I am asking the questions. for some reason the way its reading in the book wasn't making sense to me. Partially I am sure its coming from smithing back ground, and I am used to 160z hardened leather being the equivalent strength of 16g mild plate steel.

that sounds about right. there is this leather chest piece, for NPC's to wear, that is made of thick patches with holes. its 12 pts cuz it also covers the upper legs. hey, are you the guy with the full plate heavy leather armor suit?

By the rules 16oz hardened leather would give you the same armor value as your standard 10oz leather.
In practice I have seen some heavy hardened leather be rated as a 3 point material. It really depends on the chapter for this one.
If you've seen Tevas/Chris wear his white leather suit, I believe that is rated as 3pt or at least close to it. I think the full suit is rated 35 points without a helm.
But then again, a quick run and he looks like he just stepped out of a shower...

BoneDaddyThug said:
whorfin said:
A quick summary:

Abdomen
Chest
Back
Head

Yes but only in those locations. So you're math is pretty spot on.

What I generally do is determine the value of the armor, start in the torso (abdomen, chest, and back), then value it by location. I double the amount from the torso. Then I keep adding on from the other locations. Most people don't seem to wear a helm, but if one's present, I'll value it at the same time I'm doing the torso... because the math is just easier that way. :) The bonus points can never be doubled... they're just freebies that get tacked on for looking super cool and whatnot.

There's plenty of folks that think along similar veins in regards to armor construction materials. Know that you aren't alone, but the rules are what they are. *shrug*

~Sarah

[/quote]

There's plenty of folks that think along similar veins in regards to armor construction materials. Know that you aren't alone, but the rules are what they are. *shrug*

~Sarah[/quote]

well I think that being the case, I am going to go get some inexpensive 10oz leather and punch out a full length lamallar coat with sleeves and just wear some cheap 10 oz leather vambraces and get the exact same point value for it, and shave 20 pounds of weight off, and increase my mobility so I can be even faster. I believe the letter of the rule book is that the armor must cover at least half of the area to be counted for full point value. so going as minimalist as possible serves more value as a fighter than looking good and adding to the over all aesthetic of the game, hehe. And yea Lupie, I am the guy in the Full suit of Hardened leather plate SCA armor.It's Ox blood Red and Black with the Persian Char-in-a and black silk gambeson.

before you go to the trouble of making your "cheap" leather armor. I would bring your SCA suit to an event and get it appraised by a marshall.
You might end up with an armor value worth wearing the extra 20lbs for.

Madhawk said:
before you go to the trouble of making your "cheap" leather armor. I would bring your SCA suit to an event and get it appraised by a marshall.
You might end up with an armor value worth wearing the extra 20lbs for.

I'm pretty sure the reason he's thinking about the cheap suit is because he didn't. But I wasn't the one who evaluated his armor, so I can't say that with certainty.

Just keep in mind, if it looks cheap, it won't get the "looks good" points. *shrug*

Overall, most efficient for speed, point value I've found is a coat of plates or some other metal based chest armor, and then hardened leather on the arms and legs.

Torso (assuming coverage of stomach, chest and back)
3 x 3 points x2 = 18
Pauldrons
2 for hardened leather
3 for steel
Forearms
2 for hardened leather.

So, even without leg armor, you have a fair degree of speed and flexibility for 22 to 23 points of armor, plus in genre and master crafted (2 plus up to 4 points).

With light boots (+1 point), it's possible to get up to 30 points of armor that way without seriously impacting your mobility. I tend to be generous with the master crafted bonus if you're wearing obviously real armor, and your leather work is pretty awesome, Jerod.

Back