Who's done with Spider Island?

Manflesh

Artisan
Chicago Staff
Greetings!

Last market I saw a ton of adventurers extremely elated at the prospects of destroying Spider Island. Sadly, our dreams did not come to fruition, BUT what if they could? How dare we say that Prademar is about to enter a new era of peace and prosperity with this blemish, this stain, this glaring problem still in our backyard!

With new mist spheres opening up like Gavaria and Rathfall that need our help, let's send off adventurous market days in Prademar with a blast! Specifically a heavy bombardment, beachhead assault, and deep cave demolition of Spider Island, so that we can TRULY say Prademar is at peace.

Who's with me?

-Sam

Bombardment from above while you take out the nest below? Im all for it. Take my ships for transport. Lets end this island!

Binks

You have my hammer. I shall speak with the other hearthguard to see what strength can be lent for this endeavor.

May your hearthfire burn eternal, and your tankard endless!

Hearthguard Draco O'Dell

Do we have any recon on this island aside from "Many spiders"? If y'all can keep the horrid things away from me, I'm happy to assist you with the demolition survey, as well as the explosives handling and placement.

-V

Sounds like we are going to need a lot of bombs

My thought was to do recon and preparation this upcoming market, and we do the deed for the three day market.

-Sam

Do we have any recon on this island aside from "Many spiders"? If y'all can keep the horrid things away from me, I'm happy to assist you with the demolition survey, as well as the explosives handling and placement.

-V
Driders as well. They have some nasty magic.

-Ignathis

If you'd like, I can take some ships and scout the island over the next week. Perhaps we can find where the nest is and go from there. I'm sure Admiral Saban will spare artillery to remove this threat. Perhaps something lies below we can use to our advantage. There has to be something to Spider Island other than horrendous terrible oh no run away Driders....

-Binks

If we are planning on doing this, I believe we should coordinate the production of as many Release Scrolls and Potions as possible in preparation.

I personally can create 8 release scrolls in preparation, and more if we wait until Saturday evening to go.

- Finio C. - Master Inscriber

If we are planning on doing this, I believe we should coordinate the production of as many Release Scrolls and Potions as possible in preparation.

I personally can create 8 release scrolls in preparation, and more if we wait until Saturday evening to go.

- Finio C. - Master Inscriber
This coming market day would be used for recon and preparation. You would have plenty of time to prepare. The plan would be commencing the raid at the May market day.

May your hearthfire burn eternal, and your tankard endless!

Hearthguard Draco O'Dell

Anyone have more information of what we can expect from the spiders from those that fought them before? It would be a good idea to run a crash course with the newer adventurers on how to deal with Web and Weakness (which I am just assuming will be common).

I also agree with Filio here that we need to get as many potions and scrolls in people's hands as possible. The less actual personal magics we cast, the less likely we will get stuck.

There's a lot more than webs and weakness on spider island. Lots of poison, necromantic half-spiders, and toxic ichor. And that's just on the shores. It will be a large endeavor to take this place down. But will leave the world better for it.

Ignathis

The we definitely need to mass produce purifys and releases. We are going to need them.

Got any spare Rituals of WOEs from the Hook fight? We could use the immunity to necromantic effects.

I ask this just for clarification if possible.

When I first arrived on Fortannis and was told of the horrors of Spider Island, I was told there was a curse/plague that was the primary cause of this. Is this a true statement?

While Spider Island nearly killed me last time I was there, I'd personally much prefer to break a curse/bad juju/whatever it might be than to do a full scale siege of it (and possibly lose a lot of people).

Knowledge is power. The more information we have, the better the outcome of peace for Praedemar can be secured. Just my 2 coppers.

~Glenn Stormwolf
Guardian of the First Tree

I was speaking about this with some others. Based on the little I have heard, there is a lot more going on then hoards of spiders. Sounds like we need to do some research. If I wasn't already too busy doing...things, I would suggest taking time to look into libraries and archives to see if we can find of the history of the place.

Master Stormwolf and Others,

As far as I know there is no curse.

I know that the dryders there have their own society, and there are also, intelligent and spirited giant spiders as well. I presume that there is an association with a curse as, the Isle of Bones was under such a pseudo curse and overran with undead. Plus having such a deadly ecosystem seems as if Nature herself has gone mad.

Gathering Intel on Spider Island has always been a death trap.

The dryders came into town via the waystones twice. One under the false pretense of parlay and ended up attacking. And the second to just attack. They are a group of magical creatures who as far as I am aware never went into the magical torpor as other creatures did when Prademar split and the Elder Dragons went to sleep. Perhaps, there is more to this mystery than we know. Maybe the dryders are themselves trapped? Regardless, intelligence gathering is important.

The last time they left their island to visit us, things went bad.

Lady FallingStar

Follow up questions then: Why did we go to Spider Island in the first place? And has anyone thought to cast Vision on the place?

Sister Lorelei,

The primary reason the Crown and adventurers have besieged Spider Island in the past is to confiscate magical matériel. Whether it is fate, intention, or bad luck, Spider Island has been home to an inordinate number of Catalysts, magical trinkets, and powerful artefacts. It also sits at the nexus of a number of powerful ley lines and was an important staging ground during the Anti-Magic wars as well as the Hook War. Finally, control of, and tinkering with, the Waystone has been the goal of many incursions onto the Island.

Otherwise, the land itself is resource poor and cannot sustain any life beyond the spiders, spiderkyn, and driders who live there. Spider Island contains no natural exports for either harvest or production. The nautical import is negligible, based on the currents and trade routes. No serious diplomatic overtures have ever been extended to the Island's residents, so it carries no political value. Guardian Glenn is correct that the inhabitants rarely venture off their island. They prefer to live as isolationists, a fact they have made clear every time adventurers attack their lands.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
Lorelei,

We as a town have required various reagents, crafting supplies and key ingredients from Spider Island. And the occasional dumb idea of let's go see who can stay without running?

As far as I know there are two Waystones on the Island. There may be others that are isolated from the network or in disuse, as you must know the coordinates of the Waystone to target it within the network. Solar Prison Storm would be able to direct us to how many stones are linked on the Island.

For having a Vision cast upon the Island, that idea makes me very cautious. Certain areas within the lay line network and key places themselves carry a strong consciousness of their own. Some even have spirits which can look back through the weave of a Vision and mirror the effect. Casting a counter Vision on the individual receiving the second sight. Spider Island is at a convergence of lay lines. Plus the impressions all that pain and fear over eons will affect everyone in the circle. I am fairly confident that Madame Mila or myself should be able to withstand the mental, emotional and physical assault if we receive the Vision. If we take this course we need to be prepared for the darkness to stare back.

Lady FallingStar

Dramthin,

I see. Is there any interest in trying diplomacy first? As it has been stated, they have not be exactly willing if not being aggressive first. Do we want to attempt a parlay or is that something you would find a complete waste of time?

Lady FallingStar,

If you could tell me about these place with spirits and what you know about them, that would be great. I know you fear they may look back but if they are intelligent enough to gaze back, maybe they are intelligent enough to speak to us. If you and/or Madame Mila wish to try a Vision, let me know what is needed and I can see about spreading information among the adventurers for aid.

Back