Why do you LARP?

meirya

Artisan
(This came up peripherally in the "indicating OOC status without breaking character" thread, and I thought it might be an interesting discussion.)

Why do you LARP? What do you get out of LARPing, what elements of it are most satisfying to you, what about LARP keeps you coming back? What are you hoping for when you come to an event? What kind of goals do you have when you LARP?

For example: Some people LARP for the adventuring, the stats, to level up and get more cool stuff and more cool abilities and to build a powerful character. Some people play for the sport end of it, "stick jockeys" who just want to run around for a weekend and hit stuff. Some people play to get deeply immersed into a character and develop that character. Some play for the story. Some just want an excuse to make and wear costumes. Some play for the social element, or the mental element, or the physical element. Often there seem to be multiple reasons.

Why do you play?

(And yeah, maybe it'd be easier to just talk GNS theory but I prefer more open-ended discussions, so...)

All of the above. I know, I know, I'm being that guy. The reason why I love LARPing is that it conveniently combines all my interests from athletics and the outdoors to acting and costumes all in one hobby.

OrcFighterFTW said:
All of the above. I know, I know, I'm being that guy. The reason why I love LARPing is that it conveniently combines all my interests from athletics and the outdoors to acting and costumes all in one hobby.

Same. Had to give up hockey due to injuries, so this became a good physical outlet along with other stuff.

I LARP for the fighting. I try to play as many of the foam combat games in my area as is reasonably possible. I find that every game has something to teach you if you're looking out for it. I enjoy the athletic component of technical fighting, and am always trying to learn or teach wherever I can to improve my skill set and the skill sets of others.

I've found that I enjoy Alliance in particular because in addition to giving me further opportunity to fight, I can see tangible results in the game world for the things I have managed to accomplish. This wasn't something that I was originally looking for, but is something I've come to find that I appreciate and that adds to my overall enjoyment of the game.

Because it possesses all the magic of a story, the interaction of a play, the spontaneity of real life, the athletics of sports, the creative problem solving of a puzzle game, and the drama of a great show, all wrapped into a neat little bundle of my friends.

Because I desire stories. I choose to live my life safely, comfortably, and sanely. I've never been one to go out and do the kind of crazy things that lead to great stories, and I don't really want to be in my real life. LARP gives me a chance to experience those emotions, those situations, those stories within a safe place. It gives me stories to tell, and stories to experience. It allows me to emotionally touch danger and loss without experiencing them directly or putting myself at risk of serious or permanent harm.

It's the ultimate catharsis, storytelling and storymaking all in one. The exercise is a nice benefit, too.

Draven said:
Because it possesses all the magic of a story, the interaction of a play, the spontaneity of real life, the athletics of sports, the creative problem solving of a puzzle game, and the drama of a great show, all wrapped into a neat little bundle of my friends.

Add in the spirit of friendly competition and you've got my position pretty nicely.... although I'm not much of a problem solver except in specific situations. *hides the hammer*

MaxIrons said:
Draven said:

Add in the spirit of friendly competition and you've got my position pretty nicely.... although I'm not much of a problem solver except in specific situations. *hides the hammer*

Friendly competition? Have you even been to any of our games recently? ;)

Because it is what I've been practicing to do MY ENTIRE LIIIIFEEEEE

Every skill and interest culminated in a mighty bound into this "hobby."

Because of the combination of the experiences I get to have during game, which everyone has already mentioned, and this crazy-amazing community that builds around it. I've been dating someone I met at my first event for the last 5+ years, I've seen marriages, babies, incredible friendships, and the answering of true need (in the form of "It's hard to admit, but we need help to feed ourselves and our toddler daughter this winter," to "one of our own has cancer, and there will be nothing that we won't do from stopping by the house to participating in charity events to raise money for a cure.")

This game bring way more than a game to my life, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I do it for the rush. Those moments when you just feel bigger than life. Usually that is at the end of some plumbing supplies. Less often it isn't. I play to try and make these fantasy worlds just a little more alive and make a little more sense. I play to for the humorous moments when you do things that you really ought to be embarrassed to do anywhere but at least here it is some how "kewl". I play it for teaching the youngsters so they can have a better time than I did when I was their age. And I play for the eternal search for that permanent circle of power right on the porch of the tavern just big enough for two rocking charis and a small table with some pop corn so I can go all Statler and Waldorf with a qualified cohort when I am finally to old to play this thing like I am still 14.

Joe Siegel
Resident Jerk

Back