Why I don't like "Town Battles"

Maybe instead of more NPCs, just have less PCs in the battle. This doesn't make it a town battle anymore, but splitting up the PCs can help handle level spread and prevent forcing PCs to go that have no reason to go.

markusdark said:
Having less PC's in the battle means there's a group of PC's with no NPC's to entertain them. just a note...

I find entertainment in watching. I remember a few HQ fights back in the day that the town would be split up. One group fought while the other watch/RPed/what ever.

We have done something where the town was split in two. One half fought while the other half "marched", and the marchers threw on tabards and masks and NPCed in that first fight. Then reverse roles. Everyone got to participate, the lower levels had a challenge scaled to them as did the higher levels, there were lots of NPCs to simulate a real huge army and that epic feel let everyone come away with a very positive experience. Provided people are good sports about being conscripted for a short while, everyone's a winner.

Back