"Winter" LARPing intrest?

Would you be interested in a bi-monthly module day during the winter?

• Yes I'd be there every time!

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I'll attend a few as my schedule allows.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • I might come to a few I'm not sure

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you nuts, don't you people ever stop planning things?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paige

Artisan
Hello SoMNers!

I would like to gauge interest in an idea I've been bouncing around for a while.

The idea is this, throughout the winter on say a bi-monthly basis, we all meet up at a gym and essentially have module days.
To do it this frequently it will be an "alternative campaign" and we are thinking of creating a kingdom style system where there is off scene strategy and resource acquisition which you would then use on game day to "man the battle field" with different "events" like capture the flag, king of the hill, battle royal ect.

People will be able to make teams that represent these countries but will not RP a specific character for these "events"

Think of it as a take on Alliance as a sport, where everyone will have roughly equal build and access to different build cards you can use. We will use the standard Alliance combat rules and this will be a good time for everyone to become more familiar with the rules system and to improve your combat skills, also a great way for new players to learn the ropes!

It's a rough formed idea at this point, we are still trying to figure out a lot of stuff and find a gymnasium to play in, so leave some feedback eh?

First the "I'm an idiot part." I tried to cast a vote, and I'm like, "huh, for some reason I must not be able to vote." So then I go to post a reply, only to realize I'm not logged in ><

Regardless, this sounds like an interesting idea. I suppose I'd actually have to attend it to get a good feel of what it's actually like, but it's something I'd definitely show up to, schedule permitting of course. Granted, the gymnasium might have to be fairly big though. Granted I doubt TOO many people would show up, but you just never know.

I really like this idea. Think of it as a fighter practice done in a much more interesting manner. Unfortunately, it's a heck of a drive up there for one-days, so not much chance of actually making it for me.

I would come every time i am not out of town or doing something that absolutely can't be put off

I would like to know a bit more detail on what people would be playing if we are not playing our characters?

the intention is that it would occur every other week. once every 14 days, fortnightly even. hope that helps! sorry for the confusion.

the current idea for who you would play would be that there would be standard cards that could be used on in the various battles/events so much more akin to NPCing style "characters" only in you/your teams complete control. Different types of "units" (we'll call them) would be represented by different color T-Shirts or Tabards. That's the current thought anyhow :)

The system hasn't been fleshed out yet since I wanted to gauge interest before I sat down and hammered it out.

It looks like there may be enough interest, which is awesome, i'm going to start asking around about gym pricing, yay!

Okay, sure.

Also, having a few of these in parks still so that it was snowy and such would be cool still. I think one of the major issues with winter games is the sleeping situation, but since these are day events that wouldn't be an issue at all.

Also, if you need any help please shoot me an email. I didn't put my name down for a definitive staff position due to possible time issues but I can defiantly help with this if you need it.

paige.h said:
the current idea for who you would play would be that there would be standard cards that could be used on in the various battles/events so much more akin to NPCing style "characters" only in you/your teams complete control. Different types of "units" (we'll call them) would be represented by different color T-Shirts or Tabards. That's the current thought anyhow :)

So, the way I'm imagining it is much like an online game... like Call of Duty or Star Wars Battlefields. You play a class, you get certain skills and you just fight for some goal, like capture the flag? Is that what it's going to be like?

I think it would be that combined with a turned based strategy where what classes and characters your team has available would depend on some troop and resources management decisions, or at least that is the impression I got.

paige.h said:
we are thinking of creating a kingdom style system where there is off scene strategy and resource acquisition which you would then use on game day to "man the battle field" ...
People will be able to make teams that represent these countries but will not RP a specific character for these "events"

My first excited thought when I read this was - Wow, you mean we might get to determine the "off camera" battles of our campaign?!? That would make things a lot more intriguing if they did, since we'd be getting a sense of place by participating in part of the campaign while not directly affecting the PC's or Hope's Reach. But that's just an idea...

Otherwise, I'm for it - because it resolves the two main problems I have with attending winter events - the overall slipperiness risk & the cold causing other mobility issues for my left side.

tazoulti said:
My first excited thought when I read this was - Wow, you mean we might get to determine the "off camera" battles of our campaign?!? That would make things a lot more intriguing if they did, since we'd be getting a sense of place by participating in part of the campaign while not directly affecting the PC's or Hope's Reach. But that's just an idea...
The thing about doing that, though, is that one side would have to be Corrupt, and we all know that Corrupt or often harder to take down than the average bear. I guess they could be average-person-like Corrupt, without all their super powers, immunities, resists, etc.

Depends on the weekend I guess. It would be really handy for my if it was the first and third. Otherwise I'd probably only be able to make it once in a while.

Also, I'm thinking the location might make a difference too. It sounds cool though.

Dr_Chill said:
I would love to be a corrupt for a day >:D

And how! And, uh, if I can throw chaos and get away with it... yes!

While it's an interesting idea (indeed we've considered battles to resolve off camera fights in this fashion) I don't believe these battle/practice days will be used for such, remember it's the winter off season and the plot team needs some time to relax and beat people with sticks too! (for that manner, this will not be handled by the current plot team, although we'll likely help flesh out the basic system)

Okay fine, I guess we'll just have to do without being corrupted for a while. But you know as well as I do that we're all gonna miss being armchair generals of Gaden!

Now that would rock. This seems cool but I probably wouldnt be able to make it to these.

Paul

Awesome response guys, i'll be working to flesh out the system following the next event and look for a january first game, to get us past the holiday season crazyness.

Anyone interested in helping run things or with knowledge of a good indoor space to play in please shoot me an email: gm@mnalliance.com

Back