Wither Clarification

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
"When struck, the target loses the ability to make any weapon calls (other than Counteract, Intercept, Parry, or Spell Parry) and throw packets, but may block, use defensive calls, and touchcast spells." - Wither description

Lowercase "weapon calls" can be a little vague. For clarification on the above, which of the below is correct?

Option #1: Wither prevents a character from using any Weapon QUALIFIER calls. They can still use Weapon DELIVERY effects as long as those calls are via a different QUALIFIER. ie: Can't swing for "10 <Implied Weapon Qualifier> Normal", but CAN swing for Spell Strike <Spell> via Empowered Strike, etc.

Option #2: Wither prevents a character from using any Weapon DELIVERY calls. ie: Can't do anything that involves you swinging a weapon.

Option #3: Other?

-

If Option #2, further clarification: Can I use Weapon DELIVERY calls from Magic Items (such as Memory Strike, Potion Coating, etc.) in the same way that I would be able to if I was Drained/similar?

Wither prevents the use of a weapon/shield for anything other than those specific defensive calls and physically blocking with a weapon. It also prevents you from throwing packets.

Any other abilities, skills, rituals, or other things that involve a weapon or throwing a packet would not be able to be used: Empowered Strike, Potion Coating, Purifying/Draining Strike, Dispelling Strike regular weapon swings, Memory Strike, Battlemage's Strike, etc. (This list is clearly not exhaustive, but I think is enough to go on. If there are specific abilities or what have you that need clarification, please bring them up.)

You would still be able to activate out of a Spell Store (but only to touchcast), cast a spell into a Spell Store (because that can only be done via touchcast), activate an Enchant (but only for touchcast), block with a weapon, use a Dodge or Evade (as they do not require a weapon), etc. (Same caveat with this list as the one above.)

Let me know if there's more information needed here, please. We will definitely be revisiting the wording of the effect to see if we can be more clear.

NB: Weapon is not a Delivery. Attacks made using a weapon (other than weapon traps) would fall under the Targeted Delivery.

Related:

"Wither prevents the use of a weapon/shield for anything other than those specific defensive calls and physically blocking with a weapon." (emphasis on shield ).

Niche situation: With your mention of Shields and those specific defensive calls, does this mean I cannot use Strengthen charges on my shield to negate an incoming Break when I'm Withered?

Also, I'm assuming shields are included under the "physically blocking with a weapon" umbrella? (One of those weird verbiage situations where shields are simultaneously considered Weapons and not-Weapons in the rules, so I wanna confirm.)

Strengthening is a good call out.

I'm going to temporarily say "Strengthen charges are fine to use against Breaks, and to fuel Stalwart Shield" as that is in line with our intent, but it'll get brought up with ARC on Tuesday. If there's a change, I'll reply/edit here.

ETA: Yeah, shields are able to be used to block while withered.

Back