Wolf Scavenger

A Wolf wylderkin (with racial slay and racial prof) has always appealed to me as a fierce sort of predatory non Sarr character to play. I'd probably use a different voice for it as well if I could pull it off without hurting myself (deep and guttural). I am curious if other people have done a character like this before, and if so what suggestions they might have for makeup/prosthetic. Because If I make one I'd want it to look good. ;)

The concept I have in mind is very different from that of a Fox, although Fox and Wolves are sometimes confused. As a Wolf I'd be much more aggressive/fierce/inyourface. As opposed to quiet, quick and nimble the way I think of a Fox.

Hrm, I've never managed to catch one in game, but I know Paul's toon Jehan used to be one heck of a wolf.

Hey David,

My primary spent a long time as a wolf scavenger before I started to develop a sensitivity to the makeup. I've done a fair amount of reasearch on it to get a more immersive roleplay. I can talk to you about it on Saturday if you like as I think we will both be there for Dave's opener.

Paul

There was one out here in the west, however he used a full on head piece - sort of like a mascot head. It looked like this:
renwolf.jpg

Primal Visions makes the one above as well as quite a few others.

I suggest looking into NorthFur prosthetics; they're pretty happy to work with LARPers and their products are excellent.

That's where I got my prosthetics for my wolverine. :)

AllianceCHI said:
Hey David,

My primary spent a long time as a wolf scavenger before I started to develop a sensitivity to the makeup. I've done a fair amount of reasearch on it to get a more immersive roleplay. I can talk to you about it on Saturday if you like as I think we will both be there for Dave's opener.

Paul

That would be great!

The full head piece looks hella sweet, but I wouldn't want something that would obstruct vision... :?

A word (or several) on altering your voice: know what you're doing and what your body can tolerate. Don't strain or hurt yourself. Start somewhere and move forward or back from there. If you go all out, you won't be able to speak a word by Saturday and your voice will be all scratchy (and not in the good way).

A few suggestions: lower your larynx (try yawning and feel how low it can go on its own). That'll give you a deeper sound with more overtones. Then start imagining and "moving" the sound around inside your head to produce different tones/sounds (back of the throat, just behind the teeth, bridge of the nose, etc.) You might be surprised at just how many different sounds you can produce.

But above all, be nice to your instrument when messing with its normal placement and functions. Treat it well (tea is excellent; "Throat Coat" is recommended), and if it starts to hurt, discontinue use then, when it feels better, change what you're doing so it doesn't hurt as much. Try to find a balance between "Cool!" and "Not-Ow".

Just some thoughts. I've some experience in such matters. :)

ChrisO

chriso said:
A word (or several) on altering your voice: know what you're doing and what your body can tolerate. Don't strain or hurt yourself. Start somewhere and move forward or back from there. If you go all out, you won't be able to speak a word by Saturday and your voice will be all scratchy (and not in the good way).

A few suggestions: lower your larynx (try yawning and feel how low it can go on its own). That'll give you a deeper sound with more overtones. Then start imagining and "moving" the sound around inside your head to produce different tones/sounds (back of the throat, just behind the teeth, bridge of the nose, etc.) You might be surprised at just how many different sounds you can produce.

But above all, be nice to your instrument when messing with its normal placement and functions. Treat it well (tea is excellent; "Throat Coat" is recommended), and if it starts to hurt, discontinue use then, when it feels better, change what you're doing so it doesn't hurt as much. Try to find a balance between "Cool!" and "Not-Ow".

Just some thoughts. I've some experience in such matters. :)

ChrisO

This. Yes. Very important!

youthculture said:
I suggest looking into NorthFur prosthetics; they're pretty happy to work with LARPers and their products are excellent.

That's where I got my prosthetics for my wolverine. :)

Northfur is good. Another is Kangena DOT co DOT uk.

Dreamingfurther said:
...although Fox and Wolves are sometimes confused...

In real life I don't see how the two can be confused. As characters though I can see some confusion if someone is playing a grey fox. Hopefully the characterization will let you know which it is. Your description of seems like a good wolf to me.

As for my Raven, I can understand why someone might confuse him with a crow. IRL, size aside, most people probably could tell them apart either. The fact that I CAW like a Crow because I am unable to actually QUORK like a Raven probably doesn't help MaDCap one bit. However, Ravens are annoyed by Crows and I play that to the hilt whenever I hear real Crows during a game. If I ever see a Crow PC in-game, someone might have to hold me back or MaDCap might kill him.

Back