Wolfkin Language

Does one exist? If not I've been jotting down some notes. Tell me what ya think.

Houweah - litterally "I am here," also can mean "Nothing to report."
fishfish - I approve (the sound of a wagging tail)
fifif - I like that (faster tail)
fit - Go, as a command (a fast swing of the tail)
soh - snow
titok - fire (sound of a crackling fire)
oulolo - running water
safAf - standing water
petapet - rain
patpat - ground
fetfet - snowy ground
hak - pay attention, could be to get someone's attention or to point out a target
hinuu - litterally "You are close to me," a way of inviting or reaffirming the status of a packmate.
huwia(iaiaiaia) - litterally "I am annoyed," used to signify fighting or about to fight.
kik-kAAh - thunder
shoui - wind
tiisa - cold
gura - you annoy me
ni - pups
wo - one, as referring to a person (there are no wolven words for male and female as gender doesn't signify anything unless a female is pregnant)
woni - mother, either pregnant or with small pups
wauni - a mated pair, typically the alphas
wau - many
Wauwo - group/pack. Refers only to groups of beings considered worth speaking with (i.e. not monsters or prey)
an-na - food (om nom)

There is no official language for any of the races of Fortannis. There are some chapters that have developed some languages or have decided to use existing languages for their races but usually it just comes around by players deciding to go the extra mile (like you're doing) and come up with it on their own and use it.

At an Oregon game where I played a Dryad with a friend of mine, we developed a very short phrase list for Ettenese.

Things like this are almost a completely independent in-game role playing mechanism, so there would be no reason for a rules set to guide them. Because it is so individualized, any type of uniformity within the language would be on a very local and isolated (player by player) basis. However, I highly encourage individual flavor and advanced role playing. Try teaching this language to others in-game and see what happens. Good luck. :)

I like the idea of racial languages as an RP factor. It kind of allows you to speak in code to other players.

while cool, linguistically things like this take a lot of time to put together so that there is a coherent structure unless you are borrowing off existing languages (some of these sound like they are based of Chippewa & Iroquois).

Full languages are very, very fun. I would love to see this fully fleshed out. More barks and howls perhaps? I know that in 'actual' wolf, howls are a way of letting other wolves know that you are there, and can be a distress call. Dogs (not sure about wolves, never been close enough to one ;) ) also have a very distinctive 'dominance challenge' bark compared to 'goawaygoawaygoaway' barks.
A quick google search reveals:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wolves/howl.html
http://www.boomerwolf.com/wsounds.htm
http://www.werewolves.com/the-meaning-behind-a-howl/

I'm not sure how 'animaly' your wolves are, but a 'closer to the animal' language would be cool.

I've been working on a language for my spiderkin since common was not her first language. Since spiders usually don't make sound and speak through vibrations in the ground, I've been using Morse code, a stomp for a dot and a drag for a dash. It isn't perfect though, because it can be easily translated, and I'm trying to figure something out that 'really doesn't translate to common' for backstory reasons.

just start making up words that sound "spidery". Though the use of a full out language is cool if you can get others to learn it, just changing a few key words can prevent somebody from knowing what you are talking about and make it much easier to pick up the language for those who would be speaking it.

Again, for backstory/plot reasons, I can't use 'words' in my language XD no actual sounds at all. It needs to be something that honestly cannot be translated to Common perfectly. Like pheromone speech, it just isn't the same medium of communication. I've stretched it a bit for high-pitched squeaks that are just exclamations with no meaning.

I get great blank-eyed looks :| from the other pcs when I'm dancing around trying to send a vibration message to my people. Also tapping tables and such to try to figure out how to say something in Common.

Back to the opening topic though,

I've never seen a full 'language' for any race. I know our Romani race packet has some phrases, but that may just be our chapter. A wolf-kin (or dog-kin) I think would be one of the easiest races to create a language for just because of how far our understanding reaches for those particular animals. Anyways, I have some ideas:

Yip Yip Hoooooooooooowww: A long, drawn out, stressed howl with high pitched yips "Help me! I'm hurt/in danger" or possibly "Someone I love is hurt/in danger/dead"
Hooooooooooooowwww: Another howl, but meaning just "Come here" to be used if, say, the rest of the pack was at the other end of the fighting field.
Grrrrrrrrroooowwwwrr: low growls for "stand back", or if say, a beta wolf was being disrespectful, then "Back down", could be the start of a dominance challenge.
Grwuf: A gesture of greeting.
Yips: Can be playful, or if screamed, could be a "I give up! I give up!"

Wolves are frequently more about tone than the actual sound. And (as far as we baboons know) the language is mostly about getting the point across, more than howling, speaking, or yipping things that count as words. You could call a growl a "stay off my property", "Back off", "Get me that drink now boy, or I'll rip your face off", or "My turn to become pack chief". All these phrases can be pretty obviously shown with the same growl and changes in body language, and the specific situation (If the wolfkin thunks his mug on the bar and growls, you can be pretty sure hes looking for a drink and not asking you to remove yourself from his house).

Anyways, thats my ramble.

nothingtoseehere said:
Again, for backstory/plot reasons, I can't use 'words' in my language XD no actual sounds at all. It needs to be something that honestly cannot be translated to Common perfectly. Like pheromone speech, it just isn't the same medium of communication. I've stretched it a bit for high-pitched squeaks that are just exclamations with no meaning.

Could you use humming? I know you've said no sounds but it is a type of vibration, and the tones and such could really reflect moods and even basic communications - just so long as you don't "Hum out" the words.

BTW, if you need a backup spider mask, I just finally posted on my website my "bug mask" whose mold I've had on hand for a few years now.

bug.jpg

Could you use humming? I know you've said no sounds but it is a type of vibration, and the tones and such could really reflect moods and even basic communications - just so long as you don't "Hum out" the words.

Again, no, for plot reasons ;)
Edit: In case it wasn't clear, she can speak Common, it just isn't her first language.

Thanks for the offer but I use homemade eye-lenses for my eyes held on with latex (big ones over my eyes, two above, and two below, and two (not visible) under my scarf, and I prefer them to masks because they look 'different'. Plus, those masks are still in heavy use at the sf chapter as Bug masks, and even though I only use Ther for Twinspire right now, when she comes to Stonehaven I don't want to be instantly mistakable for a Bug.

-likes having tough enough skin to not care about makeup-

If anyone here is interested, I don't have any photos of Ther (full-costume from events) at the moment, but I can post them when I do. I built a ton of custom stuff for her.

I just wanted to let you know I love the idea of making up languages for certain races. It definitely gives a lot more flavor in my opinion. Hope this works out well for you!

Well I was basing the words I've jotted down notes for on actual bits of wolfspeak I know. There are a few howls and barks in there but it's hard to distinguish from one bark to another and find a way to Romanize the outcome. Also a lot of wolfspeak is done with expression and posturing so I had/have to find a way to translate that into sound or spend a really long time describing the poses/expressions (which wouldn't be easy to replicate depending on the mask/prosthetic used).

But, seeing as there is no one else who has apparently started this, I'll keep working on it! I figure if anyone else playing a wolfkin wants to use another language, they can use or borrow from mine.

This really is a great project! I've always been a big fan of linguistics, in general, so consider my interest piqued. The few words/phrases that have been suggested seem great. You will certainly have to work on posturing and facial expressions in order to get across more complicated subjects. Also, as was sort of mentioned earlier, you may want to borrow from a tribal language. I would recommend looking into Inuit phrases as well as the Chippewa or Iqoqouis that was previously mentioned.

-Luke

I can't remember if it was at a NERO game or at an Alliance game here in San Francisco, but there were a couple of either close friends or sisters (can't remember that either) who showed up in game as a pair of I believe goat-kin. Not only did they develop their own language but they actually sang a duet in it. I heard it was amazing - unfortunately, I was up to my own nefarious actions so didn't notice them all that much.

Oh, and I love the wolfspeak as to the type of terrain there is depending upon how it sounds when you walk on it. :)

Back