Would a weapon like this be allowed?

Sonic,

I'm not sure where you're located, but you will not find a LARP group in the US that will allow such a weapon or weapon types into their game. You might want to look towards LRPs in the UK as they have less stringent safety requirements than we do here. Heck, some LARPs don't even allow latex weaponry in them.

I, and I am sure many others, wish you all the best in your research. I am constantly tinkering myself trying to come up with new, unique weapons for games. Currently, I am working on a weapon that will bleed from the blade and yet still meet all safety requirements of the LARP (Not the Alliance although it meets all safety requirements except the 1/16" diameter, flexible tube hole on the flat of the blade). It's a very interesting project.

Well, that and the whole 'should not cause damage to others' garb' bit. :)

Wraith said:
Well, that and the whole 'should not cause damage to others' garb' bit. :)

Rule #3 about LARPing is "Do not bring anything to a LARP that you don't want dirtied, broken or lost." ;) There are always some exceptions (such as fancy dress at a royal dinner where you're pretty sure battle won't occur) but it is a good rule to go by.

Too true, but most of us come prepared for the standard worries of dirt, wear, and water, not fake blood. Most of the formulas for that stuff that I've seen are really bad about staining.

Wraith said:
Too true, but most of us come prepared for the standard worries of dirt, wear, and water, not fake blood. Most of the formulas for that stuff that I've seen are really bad about staining.

A secret to help it out is to add baby shampoo to the mixture. Of course, you wouldn't want to wear soapy clothes but it helps stop stains from setting.

Sonic said:
lol...

Not looking to cuase injury or damage just kick *** and maybe drop people on it.

You clearly don't understand how this game is played. :|

It's live action role playing, not mixed martial arts. It is a simulation of combat, not combat itself.

You "drop" when your opponent hits you enough times with a safe, foam weapon swung just hard enough to let know you have been hit and eventually in-game drop your body points to -1. It is not a physical fight.

If you physically and/or intentionally drop your opponent to the ground using out of game force or tactics, you may be warned once by a safety marshal if not booted from the game outright depending on the severity of the force, and then more severe consequences could follow.

Sonic said:
You clearly don't understand how this game is played. :|

You're right, he doesn't. As he stated, this was the first LARP web page he found and since he wasn't going to drop the money on a rulebook for a game he knows nothing about, he was just asking a question.

THIS game does not allow physical contact. However, in a game in the UK I watched as a 250 pound woman leapt at and bowled over a guy, pinning him to the ground. Another slammed someone with his latex shield and shoved him up against the wall. I personally grabbed someone's forehead from behind and pulled it back so that I could slice his throat with my dagger.

And no one was hurt.

Just because Alliance doesn't do it doesn't mean that NO LARP does it. But he probably won't find a LARP he's looking for in the US. The SCA may be more to his liking.

Even the SCA doesn't allow physical grappling in combat, nor shield bashing.

And if you are the type that doesn't want to invest heavily in a hobby, SCA is NOT the place. If you want to do SCA combat you better be willing to drop a good deal of cash on real armor.

Wraith said:
Even the SCA doesn't allow physical grappling in combat, nor shield bashing.

Dagorhir and Belegarth (sp?) do, however there are specific rules on the grappling aspect. Nothing like choke holds or anything just tackles and pins from what I have read from their rule book. You can aslo kick sheilds but nothing else further then that.

B~>

Recently i played a LARP that allowed shield bashing to a degree. It was a skill you could learn and it was just a light tap, And since they used Latex weapons and shields, You didn't really feel it. Although i will have to add that this skill and many others in the game forced the recipient of the blow to have to fall the the ground. I watched in horror many times as the npc's (almost all new players to the game like myself) were flung to the ground, Surrounded by 6 players, Then wailed on like crazy. The person in the middle of the mob could only lay there like a slug till the PC's decided they had hit him enough to pronounce him dead, His only defence.

Though it would be bad taste to list the name of this LARP, Needless to say, I have decided not to go back.

Yikes... :?

Back