Would this Weapon be Approved???

I apologize if a question like this has been asked or is covered in the book, as I am new to Alliance and have just ordered the book this evening. But here is a link to the LARP weapon I would like to purchase...the site says it is approved for use by all the top organizations, so I was hoping one of you could let me know if this would be approved for use in Alliance LARPing.

Here is the link: http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5 ... sword.aspx

The site has all the specifics about it listed. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

~~Ryan

The standard answer to this type of question is "it is up to your local rules marshals". I would assume it will probably pass but it all depends on your local marshals.

I like the realism of the look of it. Im not into the ones made of PVC pipe, becuase, well, they look they are made of PVC pipes! LOL ;) Are there any marshalls on these boards that may better answer the question?

It really depends on the chapter you want to go to and what their marshals will say when they evaluate it. Several chapters have a pre-approved list. You can always check the chapter you intend to play in and see if they have such a list posted.

Are these types of weapons usually a problem? I tried to post a second ago but it didnt post, the problem I have with weapons made of PVC pipe is, they look like they are made from PVC Pipe LOL. Are there any marshalls on the boards?

RyanNorthman said:
What types of things are you looking for when you test feel and hold it?

Stiffness of the foam, flex of the core, general opinion on the safety of the weapon.

As I previously said, it entirely depends on the marshals in the chapter you are looking to attend and you should probably seek out marshals IN that chapter. There are boards for individual chapters farther down the main list.

RyanNorthman said:
What types of things are you looking for when you test feel and hold it?
Generally speaking - Does it flex excessively? Does the foam have sufficient give? Can I feel core through the striking edge? More specifically: would I want to be hit with that weapon when swung by me?

Latex weapons are still a little new to Alliance and are therefore are under careful scrutiny. And just like any PVC weapon, in the end it is about whether or not the local marshal feels that it is safe or not. There have been times that one weapon passed in one chapter and not in another.

Now, with the specific weapon, I can tell you that a sword from the same manufacturer (Epic Armoury) has passed in a couple of chapters I've played in. But as everyone else has said it is up to the final decision of the marshal at the game you're attending.

And remember most importantly, you cannot EVER thrust with such a sword.

I actually like the look and feel of the duct tape and foam weapons we use compared to that of the latex, realistic looking weapons. I don't know, the home made weapons just make it feel like more of a game and sort of work as a reminder not to take things too seriously. I'm getting all philosophical and stuff now.

I see what your saying there bro, but I WANT to take it seriously lol. Thats what I really like about what Im reading, especially how the game doesnt stop the whole time. I want to immerse myself into the world, and a realistic looking weapon would help me do that more. I guess Im just partial to them because I work at Ren Fairs where everything is so realistic looking. I've been getting alot of people telling me that these weapons have been approved.

Someone said that epic armoury weapons have been approved at other chapters. Were they approved at the HQ?

According to your link, it has the following specs:

Measurements:
Overall Length: 44 Inches
Blade Length: 30 Inches
Handle Length: 9.5 Inches

IF APPROVED LOCALLY, and using the same standards as the pvc weapons, it would qualify as a max-length Longsword, but be sure to measure that it is under 45". If it is 45" or more, it would be in two-handed sword category; however, the minimum blade length of a two-handed sword is 36", so the weapon would not pass as its blade is only 30". I'm also concerned with the missing 4.5" in the specs. 30+9.5 =/= 44.

In short, it's a local decision (still beating that drum), and it HAS to be less than to 45".

Edit: for addendum distinction in 44-45" rule.

my guess is the 4.5 missing inches is the pommel and hilt.

FYI, according to the rules addendum, maximum length of a long weapon is now 45", just as the maximum length for a short weapon is 33". With the table in the rulebook, there was that "What if my weapon is 44.5 inches long?" phantom length.

However, it has been my experience to always shoot for an inch under the maximum length anyways since just the slightest of errors in construction (such as a drip on the tip of the blade or even an extra coat of latex) can bring that weapon into the next category. :)

markusdark said:
FYI, according to the rules addendum, maximum length of a long weapon is now 45", just as the maximum length for a short weapon is 33". With the table in the rulebook, there was that "What if my weapon is 44.5 inches long?" phantom length.

However, it has been my experience to always shoot for an inch under the maximum length anyways since just the slightest of errors in construction (such as a drip on the tip of the blade or even an extra coat of latex) can bring that weapon into the next category. :)

UP TO. It's a fine distinction, but they did not change the MINIMUM sizes of weapons. If you have a 45" long weapon, it's a two handed weapon. If it's 44.9" long, it's a long.

I realize that's a bit nit-picky, but it really is important to understand that distinction.

Distinction noted and my post has been edited. Thank you!

I just want to reiterate that I REALLY appreciate all the help you guys are giving me and all the advice and thorough details! My only concern is having a realistic looking weapon, as that will allow me to immerse myself into the world more, and all of your advices are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Back