Writing characters across Chapters

So I have been building a character via NPC for Oregon but I will be running the PC out of Seattle, most likely exclusively.
I've thought of a few ways of reasoning the transfer: deal with a dragon (or other high magic being), re-write of back story so that he comes from the local/Seattle game area (but I don't know any of the local back story), or the cop out of 'walking into the mists' which doesn't sit well with me.

So my question to others is this: do you even bother writing the who, what, why your character arrives in another chapters realm?

If I've never played the character before, I tend to write her as coming from the chapter I intend to play her in. Where the character is housed is pretty much an out of game function, not in game.

There is the whole "Land full of enslaving minotaurs" thing, that seems like a pretty solid reasoning for leaving to another land. Plus, with all the cross traffic between the Horn and Andar, you can just say you stowed away on the Legions party barge.

SkollWolfrun said:
So I have been building a character via NPC for Oregon but I will be running the PC out of Seattle, most likely exclusively.
I've thought of a few ways of reasoning the transfer: deal with a dragon (or other high magic being), re-write of back story so that he comes from the local/Seattle game area (but I don't know any of the local back story), or the cop out of 'walking into the mists' which doesn't sit well with me.

So my question to others is this: do you even bother writing the who, what, why your character arrives in another chapters realm?

People always want to know where you came from. I would absolutely write/think something up.

Gilwing said:
SkollWolfrun said:

People always want to know where you came from. I would absolutely write/think something up.

I already have my back story, I am just figuring out how he came to the shores of Seattle. I am just looking at general input from others on what they have done when transferring characters between chapters.

For your first game or two, I don't know that the "mists took me here" is as much of a cop-out as you might think. The alternatives, imo, would be to rewrite the character as coming from the Seattle in-game region (and working with their plot team on that) or asking around out-of-game amongst the other players for some form of in-game link to them and a reason they might bring you there.

Back