Wylderkin age

So question, do wylderkins go by animal age and animal maturing? I.e. A wolfkin would age like a wolf and have a life span of a wolf. Or do they age like humans and have human ages. Like a wolfkin adult would be over 18 and ect.

I think it'd be kind of a split...like I would expect a Tortoise-kin to be long-lived, but probably not as long as a real land Tortoises which live to be about 180-250. Splitting he difference would put them at a max lifespan of around 145.

-Luke

It comes down to whatever you decide for it. Your character is generally 95% your creation. Any information not covered in your race packet or the rule book is free game for you to decide.

Dom said:
It comes down to whatever you decide for it. Your character is generally 95% your creation. Any information not covered in your race packet or the rule book is free game for you to decide.

Subject to your local plot team's approval of course. I'd encourage you to enter into a dialogue with them regarding your character's age/lifespan, you'll need to speak with them anyway so that they can approve your racials. :)

I would say it's up to the player. If you were playing a mayfly-kin, I'm pretty sure you could convince plot to let you live longer than 24 hours :lol:

In general, except for creatures like tortoise-kin, I think most Wylderkin wouldn't live as long as humans. They have a poorer diet and poorer living conditions, which would significantly decrease their life expectancy. Worse comes to worse, go with human life expectancy divided by 2 (otherwise known as Sarr age)

I found out tarantulas can live to be 40, that seemed like a reasonable age to me so I stuck with it. Finding out the age of your character then is easy, you can do some simple algebra to find out the equivalent of your age when done in the base of your race.
Say you were 20, and your character had a life expectancy of 40. Human life expectancy is about 80.

20/80=x/40

20 times 40= 800
divided by 80= 10

so your character would be 10 years old.

As far as the age of adulthood goes, that's also up to the player. A race could judge adulthood on deeds, not age for example.

Wolves have been known to live up to 20 years (protected conditions), so I just went with that.
I'm 3 years at 6th level.

It would be a lot of fun to play a Mayflykin or something like that where your life expectancy is just a year or two. You'd get to take crazy risks because you don't have time not to. RPing the accelerated aging would be tough, though.

KyleSchmelz said:
It would be a lot of fun to play a Mayflykin or something like that where your life expectancy is just a year or two. You'd get to take crazy risks because you don't have time not to. RPing the accelerated aging would be tough, though.

The only downside would be that insistent urge to to to the light.

Wow there's a lot of theories. I think I messed up because in game I was asked on the spot how old I was and I said 8 then was asked to explain why so young. I said in my experience there is some that take more towards human years and those who take to coyote years. However we all age the same and mature at the same rate, coyote wise. I wasn't corrected. I suppose my theory can be reality as the other theories can. I think the best way to explain it was it is up to the players interpretation.

KyleSchmelz said:

I've always wanted to play a mayflykin, and retire the character each logistics period.

Wraith said:
I've always wanted to play a mayflykin, and retire the character each logistics period.
Best you could do probably is retire after each event. Your Log team would most likely hate you for it. I like the annual retirement idea, though.

-Luke

Warlok said:
Wraith said:
Best you could do probably is retire after each event. Your Log team would most likely hate you for it. I like the annual retirement idea, though.

-Luke

Nah, since you technically can't retire a character to get less than starting build, you'd just end up with a brand new level 1 character every time. And since (in most chapters I've played) level 1's are allowed to use build at the mid-game logistics period...

Yeah, logistics would hate me a little, but at least they wouldn't have to reprint character cards.

I have a raccoon kin, named Jinx. In captivity, they can like to 20+ years, but in the wild only 1.8-3.1 years. So I went with the wild expectancy for my age range, Jinxie baby is only around 8 months when I introduced her. Raccoons wean around 2-4 months, so this was still young but not unreasonable age for her to go out on her own. But that was last summer, she's now ~1.5 years old. Her personality has changed and I do plan to stick to a time table.

The reason I wanted to pick something no one else had done as a Kin was so I could make up my own rules about her. Because I can never remember what I get told about these kinda things. Hell, I forget what packets I'm throwing and just yell "Packet of death! Packet of doom!" till they kill me.

I've met several raccoon-kin, actually. There really aren't very many animals someone -hasn't- played. :)

We have 5 Racoonkyn currently with other people planning on playing more at the moment in Oregon/Seattle

Make them come heeeere!! I meant more no one at HQ to tell me "Raccoon-kin, you're doing it wrong." I need peeps!! I'm alone on the ridiculous amount of makeup that can seriously get zebra fast front. ON THAT NOTE, got any pictures of their make-up patterns I could use for help...? Pwweeeease?

I'm planning on making a raccoon kin too. I'll be coming to HQ on June 21st,... but as an NPC. I cant wait to see your costume :noway: Maybe i can get some tips for my costume and i could share my plans for mine with you. hope i dont get too distracted with looking at other's costumes to play as an NPC and keep my head in the game...

Back