YAOOTAMESQ* (yet another Oak Of the Archmage, Enhanced Source Question)

Mobius

Squire
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Oak of The Archmage (OTAM) allows the player to use any Staff as a source to Channel a single chosen Element as well as Elemental-Strike that Element in combat (ARB Text below).

Enhanced Source (ES) allows a specific target item (including a Staff) to Channel multiple selected Elements (CMA screen shot below).

Questions:
  1. ¿Does a Staff with the ES Ritual (ES Staff) allow a person who has purchased OTAM to Channel the Element selected by ES through the ES Staff in addition to the Element they chose with OTAM?
    • E.g. I chose Stone when buying OTAM, but have a Lightning/Flame/Ice ES Staff, ¿May I Channel Stone and Lightning, Flame, Ice with the ES Staff?
  2. ¿Does an ES Staff allow a person who has purchased OTAM to Elemental-Strike the Element selected by ES through the ES Staff in addition to the Element they chose with OTAM?
    • E.g. I chose Stone when buying OTAM, but have a Lightning/Flame/Ice ES Staff, ¿May I Elemental-Strike Stone and Lightning, Flame, Ice with the ES Staff?

Thank you.

Oak of the Archmage High Magic ability (ARB pg. 152)
1679076687370.png

Enhanced Source Ritual (Alliance CMA: https://db.alliancelarp.com/rituals/32)
1679076775281.png

Hello! I'm Daniel, member of ARC. After discussing this with the rest of ARC, we have answers.

1. Yes, once you purchase Oak of The Archmage, you are able to use the staff as a source. From your example, when you purchase Oak of The Archmage stone, each staff you pick up may be used as a stone source. If that staff has ES of the other elements, then you can also channel the other elements as you are able to channel from staffs due to Oak of The Archmage.
2. Yes, you are able to also element strike all the elements covered by Oak of The Archmage and Element Strike as you are able to normally channel them. It is explained in the 3rd paragraph with the last sentence clearing up the intent. “A character wielding such a staff may also manifest their Channeling energy through its swings … The type chosen may be any type they could normally channel.” Once again, your example is correct.

I hope these answers solve your questions.

This may need to be a different thread, but for clarity, if OTAM makes the staff a source, then it would stand to reason that it should also function for Spark- Passive. Allows a character to throw “2 Normal” using a source. This damage cannot be increased or modified in any way.

The below clarification would say that spark would not be able to be used as OTAM does not use a source. That seems to contradict this ruling. “Higher Manifestation and Oak of the Archmage allow the user to make use of their channeling pool without the use of a source.”

Last edited:
We are aware of current discrepancies in wording. We are working on resolving these with the publication of the 2.1 Alliance Rule Book

This may need to be a different thread, but for clarity, if OTAM makes the staff a source, then it would stand to reason that it should also function for Spark- Passive. Allows a character to throw “2 Normal” using a source. This damage cannot be increased or modified in any way.
To clarify, OotA doesn’t make a staff a source. It allows a staff to function as a stand-in for a source, purely for the purposes of Channeling.

It does not impact the source requirement of Spark.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

To clarify, OotA doesn’t make a staff a source. It allows a staff to function as a stand-in for a source, purely for the purposes of Channeling.

It does not impact the source requirement of Spark.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Relatedly, does the following Brewing ability allow a shield to meet the source requirement for Spark, since it specifies “allows…use…as either a healing or chaos source”?

Shield of Sanctuary/Symbol of Desecration
This ability allows a character to use a shield as either a healing or chaos source. May only be purchased once.

Last edited:
Relatedly, does the following Brewing ability allow a shield to meet the source requirement for Spark, since it specifies “allows…use…as either a healing or chaos source”?
It does not. Only an actual tagged source satisfies the requirement for Spark.

Am I correct, to be able to channel any element with your OotA you need to either pick that element with your OTAM or have the staff as a source. Any items that are not the staff are not allowed to be used to give more options to the OotA ability?

My thought is based on Greater source on a the staff would work but Greater Source on a wand in you pocket would not, nore would the wand be able to add Reinforce Armor or Strengthened Blow to the staffs abilities.

Extra bonus question is that If I put channeling weapon on the staff with stone, then OTAM healing, would I be able to spark with it?

Am I correct, to be able to channel any element with your OotA you need to either pick that element with your OTAM or have the staff as a source. Any items that are not the staff are not allowed to be used to give more options to the OotA ability?

My thought is based on Greater source on a the staff would work but Greater Source on a wand in you pocket would not, nore would the wand be able to add Reinforce Armor or Strengthened Blow to the staffs abilities.
Greater Source, Enhanced Source, and Reinforce Armor Rituals only function when the item with those rituals on it is used to evoke Channeling charges.

If you buy OotA (Flame) and have a Stone Source in your pocket with Enhanced Source (Ice/Lightning) on it, and a non-magical staff, you may only channel Flame while wielding the staff.

Strengthened Blow can only be cast on a Weapon (not a Source).

Extra bonus question is that If I put channeling weapon on the staff with stone, then OTAM healing, would I be able to spark with it?
Extra bonus answer is no. Spark requires an actual tagged Source, not an item acting as a Source.

Greater Source, Enhanced Source, and Reinforce Armor Rituals only function when the item with those rituals on it is used to evoke Channeling charges.

If you buy OotA (Flame) and have a Stone Source in your pocket with Enhanced Source (Ice/Lightning) on it, and a non-magical staff, you may only channel Flame while wielding the staff.

Strengthened Blow can only be cast on a Weapon (not a Source).

Extra bonus answer is no. Spark requires an actual tagged Source, not an item acting as a Source.
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but these answers are golden! My character is all about the OoTA and I would love to play everything as legally as I can.

It looks like the wording in the new packet is much more clear that channeling weapon instead of a source, I'm glad you pointed that out, before it was functions as a celestial source. The new wording is much better!

Can a staff be a source and a weapon for high magic and ritual purposes?
Can i spellcraft enhanced source onto my staff so I could use that element with OotA staff.

If I had a piece of jewelry that was a source that had an element that was not on my staff. What would I need to do to be able to use the channeling from the necklace, or bracelet? put down the staff and hold the jewelry in my offhand and cast and throw with my other hand?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but these answers are golden! My character is all about the OoTA and I would love to play everything as legally as I can.
No worries at all.

Can a staff be a source and a weapon for high magic and ritual purposes?
A staff is never a source. Its a weapon, specifically a staff. Certain rituals allow you to target a source or a staff and OotA allows a Staff to be used for purposes of channeling.

Can i spellcraft enhanced source onto my staff so I could use that element with OotA staff.
Yes, because Enhanced Source lists Staff as a valid target.

If I had a piece of jewelry that was a source that had an element that was not on my staff. What would I need to do to be able to use the channeling from the necklace, or bracelet? put down the staff and hold the jewelry in my offhand and cast and throw with my other hand?
Yes. As long as you have both hands otherwise free you can channel using a source. Source in one hand, packets in the other.

Back