Your Trip Into Death's Islands

llywelyn

Artisan
For most of you, your trip into Death's Islands starts off in Bayside with the end of your last trip on the ADN Crimson Sunset, the ADN Dawn Pride, the ADN Shadow's Watch, and the SV Salty Vixen II. From there the ships travel to Port Bayenna to take on provisions and any additional crew that are required for the trip down to Death's Islands. The preparation of the Barony of Bayenna in outfitting and preparing these ships for transit and the competency of the Ducal Navy are clearly on display, as this process runs relatively smoothly. They also go through the process of giving the ships a final once-over to ensure that they are ready for oceanic voyaging.

The one hangup is the acquiring of additional deckhands, able-bodied sailors, and other such for the trip to Death's Islands. No one in Bayenna seems particularly willing to go and even those who have signed up for the mission have come down as "suddenly sick" when it becomes apparent that the goal is to actually sail to Death's Islands. Additional members of the Ducal Navy are brought aboard to fill the crew gap.

Once provisioning and crewing the ships is there the trip travels to the base of the Sapphire River (approximately one day). From there it sails along the Sapphire River, past Querene and the Mystic Marsh (stopping in Silverthal, where Lucian meets you with the provisions he's arranged), past the Wylands and the Fens, all the way to the ocean, a process that takes around 5 days plus the time for provisioning in Silverthal. No leave is given in Silverthal (except, rumor says, to a member of the Salty Vixen II) due to the speed of the the turnaround before heading around the peninsula (another 3–4 days in good weather, it takes slightly longer due to seasonal storms around the peninsula). From there, the ships head out to Death's Islands, but a final once-over is given before heading out to the islands themselves.

You are, remarkably (as is pointed out by several crew members), not particularly bothered by pirates on the trip.

From there the trip continues on to Death's Islands. Death's Islands is not really where the map marks them (the map is compressed) but there is rather an expanse of open water between shore and the islands themselves.

There's talk across the ships (these will be represented on your rumor sheets) as well as the following tidbits of "common knowledge" that get shared around and/or experienced directly:
  • The full extent of the Death's Islands have never been fully mapped. No one has landed on the islands and come back with any sort of officially recorded maps. The islands' shapes and locations are based on measurements and observations taken from sea and only include some of the more major islands.
  • The sounding measurements in the immediate vicinity of Death's Islands have a disturbing habit of changing. Nautical charts have a habit of becoming quickly inaccurate.
  • Storms will come out of nowhere as you get closer to the islands and will (just as quickly) disappear.
On the final approach the Salty Vixen II leads the way, with Master Sişar calling out the turns and having them signaled between the ships.

Dramatis personæ

(this may be updated as we get closer to the event, see changelog should one appear)

These are some of the people who you will at least catch the names of in the voyage. You can assume that you have at least met in passing all of them at one point or another, even if you haven't had an involved conversation. If you are an NPC and aren't aware of your role yet, hold fast and we'll get you information as we know more ^_^

ADN Dawn Pride
  • Captain Cecily Floramonde Eglantine Brown, Captain of the Dawn Pride (human, portrayed by Dani).
  • Tobin Hayes, Boatswain of the Dawn Pride (human,portrayed by Miguel).
ADN Crimson Sunset
  • Captain Bart Jeffries, Captain of the Crimson Sunset (human, portrayed by Tim, exact rank may be adjusted around the event).
  • Lyra Sarlon, Sailing Master of the Crimson Sunset (human,portrayed by Jenn).
ADN Shadow's Watch
  • Captain Norman Taylor, Captain of the Shadow’s Watch (human, portrayed by Jesse).
  • Gervase Poole, Boatswain of the Shadow's Watch (human, portrayed by Brian).
SV Salty Vixen II

Ranks aboard the Salty Vixen II seem to follow their own rhymes and reasons that are completely independent of how any other ship in the group is run and appear to be more fluid than is traditional in the Acarthian Navy.
  • Master Sişar Magnapinna, Quartermaster of the Salty Vixen II (humanoid snake, portrayed by me).
  • Helmsman Kai, Helmsman of the Salty Vixen II (human with a red thrum—a kind of hat—and a blue downward triangle on their face, portrayed by Alex/Firebee).
  • Kika, Able Bodied Sailor of the Salty Vixen II (human with a blue-grey complexion who is constantly dripping with seawater, portrayed by Amber).

Last edited by a moderator:
9pm: On the ships, in the process of docking at a pier that looks like it's been cobbled together from many different materials and scraps, leading to a forested subtropical island. A building [June's tavern building] can be glimpsed in the distance on land past the pier.

We'll give some initial announcements (OOG and IG) and then the ship will complete docking and you can go on land or stay on the ship, your choice.

Soft lay-on at 9pm on the ships; hard lay-on at 9pm on shore (so if you leave the ships before 10pm you are in hard lay-on). Hard lay-on for everywhere at 10pm.

Logistics-wise: Start at a "ship", which will be indicated by marking tape. If you're tent camping, we're asking that you either pitch your tent close to the cabins to be on one of those boats, or in a circle of tents (that campsite between Lyra and Larkspur) to form one of the other boats. If you're camping "on land" and pitching your tent away from the other tents/cabins, that's cool, go ahead and do that––just make sure you come into game on one of the "ships" rather than from your on-shore tent.

Last edited:
Just to add: You can start the game on any ship you like so long as everyone is roughly evenly distributed (I don't care if it is 15 on one and 35 on another, I care if it is 59 on one an 1 on another), but everyone starts aboard a ship. If you arrive late we'll have you come into game from a ship, wherever that ship happens to be at the time.

Just to add: You can start the game on any ship you like so long as everyone is roughly evenly distributed (I don't care if it is 15 on one and 35 on another, I care if it is 59 on one an 1 on another), but everyone starts aboard a ship. If you arrive late we'll have you come into game from a ship, wherever that ship happens to be at the time.

k I think the question is are we to stay ON The ships or can we go run around at 9/10pm.

Per David - Soft is 9 on the ships, hard is 10 on the ships or 9 on the shore.

So...if you are on teh ships at 9, normal soft layon rules. If you get off at 9, be prepared for the full sushi boat of cannibalism to be thrown at you. At 10, everything is in play.

At 9pm, we will do some announcements both OOG and IG and the ships will finish docking. After that you can run around on land.

Man im confused now between Paxton and Dani's post lol. I'm gonna go with stay on the boats at 9pm and wait.

Edited my original post to clarify.

Basically: Soft lay on at 9pm, you must start on a ship. The ships will be in the process of docking so you can't get off yet, while we make some announcements OOG and IG. The ship will complete docking, and then you can stay on the ship or get off.

If you get off the ship before 10pm, you are in hard lay on. At 10pm, it's hard lay-on everywhere, including the ships.

......I had never even considered the pun of it.

Now I will never be able to say or read those terms without going into the gutter.

Thanks, Porch. :p

Back