v0.10 - Poll - Perception of combat resolution

If v0.10 were rolled out today....

• Total voters
We had about that many in Denver in Nov. Rez's definitely happen in batches.

How the heck do you kill 17 PCs in one event? I must know the story.

I think the most that Calgary has had since I've been there is 5. And it was all story-related, I think.

Seattle had an event like that back, like, 2004 or so... everyone thanked them for it. Story matters yo.

Killing masses of PCs is easy. Having the players come back next event if you do is the trick. Good stories are pretty powerful.

My one rez has been from me being dumb (the best way to die!)

I voted as though I had translated my character exactly as is. I will not be playing that character, as the v0.10e packet puts me in a position where fulfilling my former role would no longer be viable. If I did translate that character, I would be experiencing more than a 50% drop in my base damage.*

*base damage is calculated expressly with weapon base value and Weapon Proficiencies. Magic items are not included.

-

Last edited:
Interesting to note from this poll:

For one person to experience a significant KO decrease, ten experience a significant KO increase.

I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the expected fight of "keep chucking KOs until one sticks." I mean, we already have that, but it's not the -only- way combat happens currently.

While it's true that this poll doesn't factor KO decreases due to a lack of magic items (Prison/Death/Channel storms are going away), it still appears that 0.10 is going to result in a very lopsided form of combat. Even if there are fighters who are disabling shields via Disarm/Shatter, they're not going to be providing the damage necessary to be meaningful; fights will be solved by KOs. I doubt any of the few kills via real melee damage is going to feel all that satisfying in this environment.

-

Last edited:
That's fair.

-

Last edited:
I voted that I would be dealing significantly more damage. However, I should be clear about how I made that analysis.

I currently play an archer. Because I haven't played the character in some time, I have built up XP that would pay the difference in cost between profs / backstabs now and the future cost. So, except for body, effectively my stats wouldn't change.

However, I expect that monster body will decrease with this rollout. Thus, I feel that even though I would deal the same value in damage, my effective damage would be much higher, because the actual value matters much less than the percentage of health of opponent hit.

-MS

Yeah, I remember how nice that was. Then someone decided throwing DFM's into a crowd to scare the highbies was a good thing to put on a card, and I paid the mid-level tax for not having stacked defenses.

Or a friend with a spell parry

I voted as what my character would forge into. So I would gain a lot of KO, going 15-20 block C caster with the rest in formals

Naturally, this means Biata are the Inferior Race and must be cleansed.

My god. It didn't even occur to me just how utterly wrecked Biata are in this Celestial Superworld.

I mean, at least in 1.3, every race can -kinda- pursue every role, even if there are certainly weaknesses.

Biata simply won't be able to deliver sustained damage. Period. Dang. That's rude.

Heh. I'm not important enough to merit blowing a consumabe skill on at that game.

You must play in a very much harsher and different game then NW games. I have spell parried many shatter spirits and oblits for other people. And I am generally known to be an *** hole.

Definitely a regionally very different game. I see a lot more personal defenses out here (cloaks, banes, dodges) than spell parries. Much more likely to see someone step in front of a shot headed for the person they're defending and call a defense than spell parry it.

I'm looking at a damage drop of swinging 22/27 with my two hander down to 10. Slays stay the same and I get a 1-2 more parries with a couple mettle. But no cloaks.

Back