[.11] Why is Hardy a Trade skill?

Ardos

Artisan
I would like to propose that hardy become a fighter skill. It really doesn't fit with any of the other trade skills, and offers no benefit to someone trying to have extra body. The only downside I could possibly see for why this was made a trade skill instead of a fighter skill would be that it does allow some purchases of low requirement fighter skills without fighter investment, but I would counter that being more durable IS a fighter investment. Clearly that was the thought when making it more affordable for fighters than for scholars, but I feel like people we're worried about taking the fighter roles but I'm failing to see the problem. A scholar investing in 2 so they can have an intercept? That's pretty cool to me. A fighter wanting to not invest in damage or armor but rather be durable? Not possible with the 2.0 current rules but could be with this change. I'm really failing to see why it was put in trade skills at the moment.

IIRC, it used to be part of Fighter skills a few iterations back but was moved after feedback. I am struggling to remember exactly what the issues were at the time though (it's been at least a year I think since it was discussed).

I think that was back when it was flat xp across all classes, but yeah I would love to know the reason it stopped being a fighter skill

I’d love for it to be moved to a Fighter skill again, purely so that Guardian type characters don’t need to feel forced into getting Blacksmithing to acquire more XP pre-reqs. Fast Refit isn’t a bad option, I just don’t think it should be the only one.

I have no investment in Hardy, mind you. I don’t see Body bloat as a good XP investment for the cost. Even my theoretic Fighter build would pick Channel Healing over Hardy. >.>

I have no investment in Hardy, mind you.
I don't either, I cant justify getting body over working towards another intercept or parry as a guardian type character, but that seems to be counter to the purpose of Mettle. I'm pretty sure most players cant afford to use mettle with Max body when you can initially buy it, unless they invest in something to boost maximum body. my playtest build was a master blacksmith, if only for the better refit times and so I could qualify for the skills I actually wanted. the 2.0 method for skill purchase is a HUGE step in the right direction, I'm just trying to find explanations for some of the odd little things.

I don't either, I cant justify getting body over working towards another intercept or parry as a guardian type character, but that seems to be counter to the purpose of Mettle. I'm pretty sure most players cant afford to use mettle with Max body when you can initially buy it, unless they invest in something to boost maximum body. my playtest build was a master blacksmith, if only for the better refit times and so I could qualify for the skills I actually wanted. the 2.0 method for skill purchase is a HUGE step in the right direction, I'm just trying to find explanations for some of the odd little things.

It was changed before Mettle. Given the addition of Mettle, it does feel like an anit-pattern now.

If I recall, Hardy was moved out of Fighter skills because as written at the time, it was nearly impossible for anyone else to get it but a fighter (or fighter hybrid). Why it's a tradeskill is less clear, but I think that was just the go-to dropoff spot for it.

Last edited:
Back