[.11] Does anybody like resolute?

Interestingly, for my tanky Fighter build, I want to get a LOT of them. IMO they're hard to justify with just 1 or 2 - you can get double-tapped down still - but 10+ (like what my current Rogue has for Evades)? Definitely. You can just Resolute over and over, esp. with Intercept. 3 is plenty of time to get out of a front line, where 1 or 2 might not be. It's cheap enough to justify that, too.

Or you can just get a parry and stay on the front line for about the same build...

Or you can just get a parry and stay on the front line for about the same build...
Unless you're capped on parries.

I have a couple of Resolutes for my Celestial Spellsword build for the Oregon playtest. I am excited!

Parry doesn't work on big Elemental blasts. It also doesn't work on big Evocation spells. Nor does it work on giant bolts of Chaos. Next time you get a few "40 Elemental Chaos" thrown your way, lemme know how those Parries work out for you :D

2/3 of those are covered by spell parry.

Elemental sounds like a job for my healer!

I may pick up one to mess with in playtest, but I am not really sold on them.

Actually, on consideration, my edge-case Channeling-based earth templar will get use out of resolutes.

'Got it, resolute, 5 magic healing, 5 magic healing' is a good answer to Eviscerate for a healer.

Actually, on consideration, my edge-case Channeling-based earth templar will get use out of resolutes.

'Got it, resolute, 5 magic healing, 5 magic healing' is a good answer to Eviscerate for a healer.

I actually considered this as an option, but I feel like it’s cumbersome without getting the Channeling Manipulation.

It's more of an 'oh ****' option. My test build for this weekend is 3 earth spells and 8 levels of channeling for a claws and cure lights frontline medic.

Channeling is elemental, and magic is gone as a qualifier. It's "spell". Just FYI.

I actually considered this as an option, but I feel like it’s cumbersome without getting the Channeling Manipulation.

A lot of people considered 1 purchase of earth channeling a build tax during our playtest.

It's cumbersome but, probably less so with claws then it would be trying to get a shield free.

A quite brilliant friend (who shall remain nameless unless she chooses to reveal herself) pointed out the ultimate use for Resolute. Traps. You can't dodge a trap or parry a trap or even resist most traps. However, no matter how high the damage, you can keep standing with Resolute. That use alone makes it a worthy buy (at least once).

-MS

A quite brilliant friend (who shall remain nameless unless she chooses to reveal herself) pointed out the ultimate use for Resolute. Traps. You can't dodge a trap or parry a trap or even resist most traps. However, no matter how high the damage, you can keep standing with Resolute. That use alone makes it a worthy buy (at least once).

-MS

Trap Avoidance (General, Spirit / Body / Item [Any], Daily) - Once per Logistics period per charge of this Ritual a character may expend a Ritual charge to avoid the effects of an Area Trap. The use of the Ritual does not protect a character against Voice delivery or any other area of effect attacks or abilities.

Trap Avoidance (General, Spirit / Body / Item [Any], Daily) - Once per Logistics period per charge of this Ritual a character may expend a Ritual charge to avoid the effects of an Area Trap. The use of the Ritual does not protect a character against Voice delivery or any other area of effect attacks or abilities.

The assumption that every character has access to every ritual simply doesn't hold water. Even with the magic item bloat that exists in HQ (and east coast magic item bloat is rampant), a high percentage of characters lack meaningful access to ritual effects. And the new rules are intentionally toning down access.

Comparing a low build cost skill that literally anyone can take to a ritual effect is unreasonable, especially when seemingly making a claim that said ritual negates the need for the skill (if that isn't the claim you are making, then you need to be more communicative than just posting the text of a ritual).

-MS

2-5 resolutes feels amazing. 30-40 resolutes feels really wasteful. This isn't true for parry or mettle or evade or dodge. It's just a weird skill.

I'm not looking at the current wording of Vengeance, so I have to ask: Is there any reason that you would think that you couldn't?

-MS

Vengence said:
This damage is 10 points per level of ritual magic possessed by the caster and is not avoidable in any manner.

Back