4e Alliance (A Homebrew D&D Project)

Libras

Scholar
Before anything else: Yes, I know that Dungeons & Dragons and Alliance are not fully compatible role-playing systems. Yes, I am using 4e D&D rules and nothing is going to change that. Yes, some things will not fully transfer and resemble what they currently are. (Especially alchemy and ritual casting.)

I've already started statting out races; seems like they will take the most work.
I'll be editing in content as I make it and I'd like for people to make suggestions, constructive criticism, et cetera to assist me.

Thanks in advance!
~Joseph, Resident Super Nerd

Robb Graves said:
D&D... the only place in the universe where 3.5 > 4.0

go math!
This is exactly the comments I do not want in this thread.

The next Alliance Rule Book will also contain tabletop rules for use with the game. Now, mind you, some people would prefer D&D or Gurps in an Alliance worls, but hey, you can't please everyone and no one will be forced to use them.

Fearless Leader said:
The next Alliance Rule Book will also contain tabletop rules for use with the game. Now, mind you, some people would prefer D&D or Gurps in an Alliance worls, but hey, you can't please everyone and no one will be forced to use them.

I am confused by this statement. you mean there will be rules for a tabletop version of alliance?

Robb Graves said:
Fearless Leader said:

I am confused by this statement. you mean there will be rules for a tabletop version of alliance?

Yes. Just four pages or so at the end, since you already have the rules for the spells and skills. They are simple and designed mainly to determine whether you hit and so on.

I'm having trouble thinking of Biata ability modifiers. Any suggestions? (Note that 4e races usually have 2 +2s with no penalties sans humans who choose one +2.)
I already have an equivalent for all non-RP racial powers and I'm fine tuning what to eliminate/trade with the "fantasy staple" races.

EDIT- To differentiate Stone Elves and Elves further, the latter will be more nature based and the former will be more scholarly based.

Biata...+2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom, cannot be part of a class drawing from the Arcane power source?

I haven't played D&D since the 80's, but I'd say that Stone Elves should definitely get bonuses to Intelligence and for The Arcane Source that Perry mentioned, if that's what amounts to Celestial magic. I seem to remember something about Psionics from the "old days". If that is still in the current edition I'd say both Biata and Stone Elves should get bonuses to that, to simulate their mental powers. It also seems that their emotionless nature would make Stone Elves be of some Neutral alignment.

Telokh_Amdo said:
I haven't played D&D since the 80's, but I'd say that Stone Elves should definitely get bonuses to Intelligence and for The Arcane Source that Perry mentioned, if that's what amounts to Celestial magic. I seem to remember something about Psionics from the "old days". If that is still in the current edition I'd say both Biata and Stone Elves should get bonuses to that, to simulate their mental powers. It also seems that their emotionless nature would make Stone Elves be of some Neutral alignment.
I've already nailed Stone Elves as +2 Intelligence and +2 Wisdom for their knowledge and level-headedness.
Alignment has no mechanical influence anymore, but if anyone wants to fluff the crunch I'm sure they'd agree Stone Elves prefer Neutrality and Law heavily.
Also gave them +2 to Arcana and History, +1 to Will, +5 resistance to emotion-altering effects, and Break Command as an encounter power and Trance instead of sleeping to represent their psionic/calm nature. (Psychic power source and classes have yet to be released. I will predict though Stone Elves will make excellent Psions and Psionic Warriors.)

Made Gypsy and Barbarian human variants since they're, well, human variants.

Libras said:
Made Gypsy and Barbarian human variants since they're, well, human variants.

Not in Alliance.

Yes they are.

At least in HQ the histories of all three cultures never mention coming from the same place. Vansir (Barbarians, for the non-locals reading this) are from another plane and Gypsies are descended from Biata. Not everyone IG knows this though.

Logistics and rules-wise they were originally human variants that were then made separate races so that they could have build-based racial skills. How you want the history to work IG is up to you.

Human
Attribute Bonus: +2 Any
You know one extra at-will power from your class.
You gain a bonus feat at Lv1. You must meet all prerequisites for it.
You are considered trained in one extra skill from your class skill list.
You have a +1 racial bonus to your Reflex, Will, and Fortitude defense values.
Gypsy (Human Variant)
Lose extra at-will power.
Gain Gypsy Curse as an encounter power.
Barbarian (Human Variant)
Lose bonus feat and extra in-class skill training.
Gain +5 against fear effects and elemental resistance equal to half your level.

Libras said:
Robb Graves said:

go math!

Sorry, man, you picked a generally reviled and poorly reviewed game system. Internet Gaming Nerds are going to say negative things about it.

Its ok.

Libras is a huge nerd anyways.

I was kind of looking forward to a better fight.

Wraith said:
Libras said:
Robb Graves said:

go math!

Sorry, man, you picked a generally reviled and poorly reviewed game system. Internet Gaming Nerds are going to say negative things about it.

If you don't like the system, more power to you. But, it is just a fabrication to say that it is a "generally reviled" or "poorly reviewed" (at least across the board). I have been watching 4e reviews and information pretty intensely for months now. Positive reviews are more prevalent than negative reviews (about 2:1). And, despite early grumbling, a clear majority of 3.5 players are switching to 4e. Actually, what I find interesting is that 4e has stronger new player appeal than 3.0/3.5, which according to reports, is mostly due to an easier learning curve.

-MS

gypsies are descended from biata??? dear lord.....I need a new PC now :(

No.

Gypsies are descended from moles and chicadees.

Hence the colorblindness and attraction to shiny things.

Back