A few questions from an aspiring player:

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to be able to play 'till April, out of town the next weekend event, so plenty of time to prepare. In that spirit, I have set out to know the rules by the time April comes around :laugh:

So, the questions:

:arrow: How do you know the edition of your rulebook?

:arrow: What is the practical difference between Dodge and Evade?

:arrow: Where can I see a comprehensive skill and spell tree? The ones in the book ain't so great, hard to see what you need to get whatever

:arrow: Ways to make cheap armor that looks good, and while you're at it, are zippers/snaps/buttons allowed? In what circumstances? Leather jackets? Purple dyes? I think I know the answers to most of these, but better safe than sorry :)

:arrow: Some general hints for 1st time players would be VERY appreciated ;)

Kathar said:
I'm not going to be able to play 'till April, out of town the next weekend event, so plenty of time to prepare. In that spirit, I have set out to know the rules by the time April comes around :laugh:

So, the questions:

:arrow: How do you know the edition of your rulebook?

:arrow: What is the practical difference between Dodge and Evade?

:arrow: Where can I see a comprehensive skill and spell tree? The ones in the book ain't so great, hard to see what you need to get whatever

:arrow: Ways to make cheap armor that looks good, and while you're at it, are zippers/snaps/buttons allowed? In what circumstances? Leather jackets? Purple dyes? I think I know the answers to most of these, but better safe than sorry :)

:arrow: Some general hints for 1st time players would be VERY appreciated ;)
The edition should be listed on your book, just look at the title page.(If I recall)
Dodge can be used to avoid any weapon or packet delivered attack. So a 5 normal, 32 elemental ice, 50 slay, sleep gas poison, ect can all be dodged.
Evade can only be used against weapon delivered attacks, and can not be used against any of the prepare to die types (Slay,stun,ect.)
The spell tree can be a bit tricky, but its more or less a pyramid untill you get to 4 1st circle spells. I have found the best way to look at it is just to make one on paper and see if you get the feel. Not sure what you mean by skill tree tho.
So far, buttons and zippers and snaps have all been allowed, however the less period it is the more you want to hide it. There are some exceptions to this, like glasses, for safty issues. Leather jackets depend on what they look like, and as to purple I am honestly not sure in this game. I hope that helps a bit.
As to hints, there are many and many, I suspect you will get a list of them as soon as a few people read this, so I am going to wait untill the flood starts.

Write a good history. Remember, it doesn't have to be tragic to be interesting. A really well written history can be the doorway to so many interesting and wonderful things that plot can do to... um, er... FOR you. Yeah, for you. :D

Diera said:
Write a good history. Remember, it doesn't have to be tragic to be interesting. A really well written history can be the doorway to so many interesting and wonderful things that plot can do to... um, er... FOR you. Yeah, for you. :D

This is what I have so far:

Tyro Kathar
Human Fighter

Disowned second-eldest son of a noble of Palerna, when he showed strong signs of a cooler nature than his family, less inclined to combat and more to philosophy, sent at a young age to distant relatives in Mistrali, a merchant family who cared nothing for him and did nothing for him save a basic education, and that only so the neighbors wouldn?t talk. Decent stick fighter, grappler. Tends to be either quiet or quite animated, his personality constantly a paradox. Can read and write quite well, and has a Mistralan code of ethics. Was mostly raised by his martial combat teacher, who taught him the (oriental/far east equivalent ? LOOK UP) style of fighting and of living, also teaching him to read and write, and most importantly inner peace and meditation. Instructor now dead, so is wandering with no real aim past wishing to better himself and learn more of the world. A bit na?ve. His peaceful nature changes to cold anger when someone is wronged, and so he defends those weaker than him, blah blah blah ? like I said Mistrali code of honor. Tends to be just a bit too zealous in that regard. Made a few enemies from his aloof nature among his cousins, who are all hotheaded like his father. (names of cousins and father). Has (10 years or so) older sister who used to teach him when he was young, she went off to study to be a healer and he was sent away in the interim, he hasn?t had contact with her since he left at 10. (She has been trying to find him since she came back (just after his teacher died and he started wandering), but his family didn?t bother to keep tabs and he wanders without any real plan, so is nigh impossible for her to find.)

Level 1 Fighter, 1 skill point left:

15 minus:
5 for One Handed Edged
3 for 1 Critical Attack
6 for Read and Write
= 1 left over

I'm not seeing the edition listed. Maybe I'm missing it, maybe it isn't there.

Sorry for the excessive posting, couldn't find the *bleep* edit button. By skill tree I mean mapping out skills with prerequisites, by category.

*Edit* Aah, it's time limited... :glum:

Umm... anybody home? I was hoping for more replies than that. Where IS everybody?!?! :confused:

If your rulebook lists 'Evade' as a skill, you're in the current edition (9th) as it did not exist before then :)

There isn't a drawn-out 'skill tree' anywhere, though the skills do list prerequisites on the skill cost tables.

Hope that helps. Got more questions? Post 'em up!

-Polare

Thats because Phil (Kauss) hit it on the head pretty much. As for skill trees, I dont htink you'll find a better layout. Maybe if you google it, you can most likely find it on someone's webpage, but thats highly unlikely and illegal (not looking at it, the having it part).

Purple dye... for what? Leather? Hair? Skin? Leather shouldnt be too bad, though it doesnt really come off as natural, and you'lll stick out like a sore thumb. Purple hair is really iffy, as there wouldnt be a good explanation as to why a human would have purple hair: unless it has something extensively to do with your history, or you have a good reason for it. Skin, same as last, but with a higher degree of requirement. Unless you got a good reason for having it, it wont stand up in game.

What does the cover of the book look like? Does it look like this:

newbook.jpg

If so, you got the right book, and you should be proud of yourself. If not, then you dont, and you should hang your head in shame. Just kidding. I dont know when the new edition is due out, so I dont know whether or not you'll be better off waiting for that to come out than buy the current one. Since your first game will be in April, that will most likely be thhe case.

As for jackets, zippers, buttons, and the like; keep it to the minimum. However, as a recovering poor college student, I can relate to using what you have on hand, so some things are hardly avoidable.

As for cheap armor, as in inexpensive, we have our own armor smith: Chris Bishop. He works mainly leather, but also works some metal as well. He can hook you up with some good armor for very little. His screen name is Tomen.

For costuming (garments and such), just go down to the local good will and search out something that looks period. The benifit is that its not entirely off the rack: it looks like its been worn for a while. Plus, its cheap. Theres also some other people here who can help you by making stuff for you. You just gotta ask around.

Since your a fighter, you dont have to worry about spell trees. Just learn what the spells do so that you know how to react when they get cast upon you.

As for new player hints: roll with the punches.

Hope this helps and all that jazz. See you in game.

DigiRyan

I presume he was asking about purple dyes becouse of the historical implication of the color purple and who could and could not wear it. As far as I know, in this game, there is a nobility purple but I am not sure the exact shade, and outside of that shade, I think that the players can wear purple. However, for an exact color answer, you can e-mail plot about it.

Kauss said:
I presume he was asking about purple dyes becouse of the historical implication of the color purple and who could and could not wear it. As far as I know, in this game, there is a nobility purple but I am not sure the exact shade, and outside of that shade, I think that the players can wear purple. However, for an exact color answer, you can e-mail plot about it.

That's it exactly, meant as an esoteric joke. I already have that book, got it on Amazon couple of days ago. Looking forward to having fun in April, see you all there! I got really lucky, turns out a friend of mine (my D&D gamemaster actually) has been playing NERO for 2.5 years. He's level 18, and is willing to help me :D

Thanks for all your support, and one last thing: Where can I get good costume MATERIAL (cloth leather etc.) in WA state fairly cheaply? I'm making my costume, I am a fair hand at sewing and I know people who are VERY good at it, but I know not where to get material. Any ideas? Thanks!

Grab a yellow pages and crack it open to the "Fabrics" section. You'll find numerous stores, from large chains (like Joanne's Fabrics) to mom and pop operations. Plus, your good sewing friends should have a good idea, as well.

DigiRyan

Johnathan Lancaster said:
Grab a yellow pages and crack it open to the "Fabrics" section. You'll find numerous stores, from large chains (like Joanne's Fabrics) to mom and pop operations. Plus, your good sewing friends should have a good idea, as well.

DigiRyan

What about leather? I want good quality leather, armor quality for some stuff and clothing quality for others, would they have that? Would check but VERY busy online :rolleyes:

Thanks!

From what I've seen and heard, there are almost none in Washington, unless you can find some at the fabric stores (to which the quality would be questionable). Most of the better places are down in Oregon.

Johnathan Lancaster said:
From what I've seen and heard, there are almost none in Washington, unless you can find some at the fabric stores (to which the quality would be questionable). Most of the better places are down in Oregon.

Would you name a few of the better ones? I wouldn't mind getting the stuff shipped if the quality is good and the price is reasonable.

MacPhearson Leather, on S 4th Ave in Seattle

Kathar said:
Would you name a few of the better ones? I wouldn't mind getting the stuff shipped if the quality is good and the price is reasonable.

ok being as im the only one that makes leathere armor for sale and custome armor for people in NERO in the NW right now , if you cant see hold touch the leather of know some one like me who can help you then buying it online is a no no as type/thickness is not always the same and you could get ripped off and not have it work like you whanted it too.

if you feel like ittalk to me on AIM or Yahoo at any time id be more than willing to help you out or build stuff for you those who have had stuff made by me would say im good at what i do isnt that right guys, ;)
yahoo: bishop_oang
AIM: KMarlowPoet

Kathar said:

Oregon Leather Co. I work in the building right next to it in downtown Portland. Great place, but you really have to go there in person to get the full experience. I doubt they do much online...

-Polare

Shikar al'Basteua said:
MacPhearson Leather, on S 4th Ave in Seattle
Thank you, they're pretty good then?

:edit: Thank you too Polare, I submitted this just as you did :D

yes Oregon leather is the bomb
but its in Down town portland
and im guessing your in seattle area

Back