A few questions from an aspiring player:

Tomen said:
yes Oregon leather is the bomb
but its in Down town portland
and im guessing your in seattle area

Yeah, I live in Redmond, near Seattle. Maybe I could get leather shipped though... might be expensive, I'll have to look into it :(

Thanks for your support, all!

Finding cheap armor supplies

Oregon Leather is the best place I have found to get good fairly inexpensive leather for armor. It has a pretty big selection of colors as well as thicknesses and is located off burnside in downtown portland real close to the waterfront. They also carry things like leather cord, gromets, studs (the metal kind :) ) and most other common leather accessories including leather working tools. As for ordering I dont know whether or not they have a website, but I am sure through a quick search you could find out. My personal recommendation though if you find yourself in the the area and want to get the supplies as cheap as possible (making leather armor can can real spendy real fast) is to stop in personally and go through their scrap bins. Usually you can find scrap that is a couple feet in each direction, and if you get lucky you can find a few pieces. If Oregon Leather does not work out for you, I would also recommend hitting thrift stores and looking for things like old leather trench coats and fur coats. From there you can modify them, aka. rip of the sleeves, cut up the jackets to make bracers, vests or what ever you so desire. Thrift stores can also sometimes carry things like leather pants, leather boots, and leather vests that need no modifications at all. Outside of armor supplies you can usually find a good shirt to wear, especially for men, as well as tacky costume jewelry if your into that, and a good selection of bandanas or scarves. I am a thrift store junky, and over the years I have collected some pretty cool garb from places like that. In seattle I believe there are a number of good thrift shops in the University district, although people that live in the state would probably be able to tell you where to find more. I hope this helps.

Holly

Slice said:
Oregon Leather is the best place I have found to get good fairly inexpensive leather for armor. It has a pretty big selection of colors as well as thicknesses and is located off burnside in downtown portland real close to the waterfront. They also carry things like leather cord, gromets, studs (the metal kind :) ) and most other common leather accessories including leather working tools. As for ordering I dont know whether or not they have a website, but I am sure through a quick search you could find out. My personal recommendation though if you find yourself in the the area and want to get the supplies as cheap as possible (making leather armor can can real spendy real fast) is to stop in personally and go through their scrap bins. Usually you can find scrap that is a couple feet in each direction, and if you get lucky you can find a few pieces. If Oregon Leather does not work out for you, I would also recommend hitting thrift stores and looking for things like old leather trench coats and fur coats. From there you can modify them, aka. rip of the sleeves, cut up the jackets to make bracers, vests or what ever you so desire. Thrift stores can also sometimes carry things like leather pants, leather boots, and leather vests that need no modifications at all. Outside of armor supplies you can usually find a good shirt to wear, especially for men, as well as tacky costume jewelry if your into that, and a good selection of bandanas or scarves. I am a thrift store junky, and over the years I have collected some pretty cool garb from places like that. In seattle I believe there are a number of good thrift shops in the University district, although people that live in the state would probably be able to tell you where to find more. I hope this helps.

Holly

Wow, take a pause for breath... Thanks muchly, you've been very helpful. I'll look into that as soon as I can, there are some very good ideas there.

MacPhearson Leather has a discount for SCA members. If you know any, go with them. It's a great place, reasonably priced. The selection is incredibly vast and their remnants box can be used to piece just about anything together cheap.

Leather products

Another good source for period leather work is Leather Works based right in the Puget Sound area. He's done my baldric and a yoke for spaulders and I've ordered a belt, belt pouch and tankard strap from him as well (should be here in the next couple of days).

The website is http://www.leatherwork.biz/

I know that he has a basic package for larpers and reinactment groups consisting of the belt, small belt pouch and tankard strap. I've been very happy with his work and highly recommend him to all those looking for custom work.

Keith aka Krillmalir

Krillmalir said:
Another good source for period leather work is Leather Works based right in the Puget Sound area. He's done my baldric and a yoke for spaulders and I've ordered a belt, belt pouch and tankard strap from him as well (should be here in the next couple of days).

Just backing up Keith here -- I had the straps on my breastplate redone by this guy and I've been quite happy with the work. He does good stuff (not to mention he played Polare's father for a neat role a while back IG).

guess no one like my leather work :(

well other than the people who have goten stuff from me and are now coming back for more.
and getting there friends to order stuff to.
i do good work and cheap prices

my moto is to make all the players look better in good armor that dosent hurt the pocket like other places do

Polare Lissenstine said:
Just backing up Keith here -- I had the straps on my breastplate redone by this guy and I've been quite happy with the work. He does good stuff (not to mention he played Polare's father for a neat role a while back IG).

Yah.. but being called RELIC was a butt buster...

Thanks for the kind words about my work. I am the Leather Work guy.

With any luck I will try and daytrip to Milleryslvania Feb 14th... I cant be there for the full weekend. Course this will be my third attempt to get to a games.. Weather and health kept me from making it to a game twice.

Krillmalir got his 3 pc set.. ya might ask him what he thinks about it.. he is grinning just a bit.

Lazarus
aka Relic
aka Charles
http://www.leatherwork.biz

Krillmalir said:

I know that he has a basic package for larpers and reinactment groups consisting of the belt, small belt pouch and tankard strap. I've been very happy with his work and highly recommend him to all those looking for custom work.

Keith aka Krillmalir

Thanks Krill...

Yep.. he has a few chunks of my work. He got his 3 pc set yesterday it looks like.. will let him speak for himself about it.

I am trying to get to at least day trip Feb 14th.

Most of my schedule has been with SCA events. Though a couple times with NERO NW were a helluva lot more fun than SCA ones. Been known to 'inject' into the game from time to time.

Lazarus
aka Relic
aka Charles
http://www.leatherwork.biz

For anyone who'se curious, I figured out one thing that Dodge can do and Evade can't - Assassinate isn't a 'Prepare to Die' attack, so it can't be evaded (Slay can :)

You can, however, Dodge an Assassinate :)

Evade can only be used to avoid calls of "<number> <carrier>" (for example: 2 normal, 5 ice, 3 sleep...etc). It cannot be used to avoid spells, traps, spellstrikes, PTD skills, Assassinates, waylays, or anything else besides simple damage/carrier calls. Dodge can be used to avoid anything with the exception of waylays, killing blows, and traps (except weapon traps)

-Dan

Back