A notice to all adventurer's

To all those traveling to Fairdale in the coming weeks,

The Sage's Guild of Icenia will be opening a chapter in Fairdale and taking interviews for all those who wish to join the guild. Please contact me privately if you wish to have an interview. I will holding interviews on the last Saturday of this month in Fairdale at noon in the tavern.

Aria Devonshire

Aria,

Who are you planning on having in the guild, and what ranks (levels?) of membership are going to exist this time around?

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn

Squire Ulthoc,
The ranking within the guild is still the same. Although that may change over time. The Sage's Guild in now in the process of restructuring and it will be an ongoing for some time. As to who may join, any may petition to join, provided they are willing to follow the basic by-laws we have within the guild. Those by-laws I will explain during the interview. But we will never tell anyone that they can not join our guild because they use a sword rather than spells or make things. The most basic requirement to be in the guild is to search for knowledge to solve a problem and to be willing to share that knowledge with others and also what you are capable of doing as well. If you can not, not saying you specifically just everyone in general, or will not be willing to do those things then the Sage's Guild is not the place for them.

I don't know if this helps or creates more confusion, but I can say that I will be explaining everything during the interview for any who wish to petition to join the Sage's Guild.

Aria Devonshire

Is this one going to be warded the whole time also?

Walgar

Ezrad,

You'd be surprised at how many adventurers learn things - important things - and don't share with others, even if the information could be of great use to the town. Often we find out later on that somebody knew something that would have proven very helpful against an enemy but for whatever reason had chosen not to share.

Ezri

Ezri,

It is unfortunate when that happens. Unfortunately I suppose that not everyone realises how useful the information they possess truely is. Hopefully that is the only reason, and not some sort of intent to allow the town to fall into dangerous times. The more information we all share and know, I believe, the better off we are, no matter what group we're a part of.

Ezrad

Walgar,
As there is no room in the tavern or the new cabins everyone has been using, there will not be a ward. Once room is available, we will, meaning the members of the Sage's Guild, see if a ward is needed. If one is needed, it will be limited to a very specific space, so that those that can not be in wards or would prefer not to be can come in to seek knowledge.

Ezrad,
The goal of the Sage's Guild is to search for knowledge and to share it with others, whether it be a skill you are capable of doing or doing research on the latest problem we are facing. But as Ezri has stated, in the past some adventurer's have gained knowledge and not shared it with others, whether it was intentional or an honest mistake, I can not say. But when this has happened, it has been to the determent of all the adventurer's. Those adventurer's that come to Fairdale will be facing new threats for the coming years. Things that no veteran adventurer has seen or fought against and we must now find ways of destroying. I believe the Sage's Guild is needed now more than ever, if the guild is to help we must gain new members who are willing to do the research to help all adventurer's. If you would like, we can discuss this in more depth at the end of this month if you are going to be traveling to Fairdale.

Aria

Indeed, I have plans to be there at the next gathering. Although I am more comfortable putting my trust in others, and their knowledge to be their blade, knowing what is important is in its own, a valuable weapon or tool. As defeating evil is a common goal, I'll be sharing everything I learn.

Ezrad

If this new chapter of the Sage's Guild will not be warded like the Ashbury City one, then I would be very interested to join. I'll seek you out in two weeks time.

Until the Moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

Aria:

Since the Mages Guild in Fairdale attempts to provide information as well, and since you are an invested member of that Mage's Guild, do you see a conflict here?

Please see me when you are next in Fairdale.

Wizard Aloysius

Wizard Aloysius,
While we have never met, I can understand your initial opinion. If I am wrong in your assumption to make the Mage's guild the Sage's guild as well, I apologize in advance. But if I am right, please listen to my opinon:

The Sage's guild should exist as a separate entity, specifically for those who would wish to share knowledge, but may not feel comfortable being a part of the Mage's guild, or near it for that matter.

Knowledge is a place where everyone should be able to share information freely, be they human, elf,biata, barbarian or any other race.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

zehnyu said:
Wizard Aloysius,
While we have never met, I can understand your initial opinion. If I am wrong in your assumption to make the Mage's guild the Sage's guild as well, I apologize in advance. But if I am right, please listen to my opinon:

The Sage's guild should exist as a separate entity, specifically for those who would wish to share knowledge, but may not feel comfortable being a part of the Mage's guild, or near it for that matter.

Knowledge is a place where everyone should be able to share information freely, be they human, elf,biata, barbarian or any other race.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

I am sure a Sages Guild will be a fine competition for our Guild and its knowledge-seekers. My main concern is in having one of my own members competing against Guild interests. Surely you see that is a legitimate concern?

Wizard Aloysius

I would assume since both Guilds are a place for knowledge, that instead of competing with one another, the Mages and the Sage's guild would work together for the common goal of the people of Icenia. I understand at times that a bit of competition is healthy, but I would seriously consider sharing the knowledge; afterall, in what place can someone be better educated about Celestial Magic, versus the potential of why some people dislike it? I'm sure it would bring up good conversations inside of the Sage's guild.

I, for one, am considering joining the Sage's guild, as my knowledge of Earth Magic may be helpful for the guild itself. On top of that, the Sage's guild was the only way I would have found out about Natasha and Aramis after returning.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

If both parties intend to make sure everyone has equal access to knowledge and learning, I don't see how there can be a conflict of interest- it's more like someone else doing your job for you. If either group had intended to hoard the knowledge- or if the Sage's guild started offering ritual casting- then yes, I'd see a conflict.

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn

Guildmaster Alysius,
I do not see a conflict of interest between the Sage's Guild and the Mage's Guild. While some of the research topics may overlap, the overall priorities of both guilds is different. The Sage's Guild does research on a wide variety of topics from the destruction of the Crix to writing a book on the various laws of Icenia and other lands through the mists. Not every adventurer is going to want to join the Healer's Guild or the Mage's Guild but may still want to help beyond casting a spell or swing a sword and the Sage's Guild may be the option they are searching for. I am merely making that option available to those adventurer's seeking it. If you see this as competition I am sorry. I am trying to get everyone prepared for what we will be facing in the coming years and one way to do that is to open a branch of the Sage's Guild in Fairdale.
As you seem to also see some sort of conflict of interest between my membership within the Sage's Guild and the Mage's Guild, I am fully capable of keeping the 2 separate. I know what my duties are in each guild and do not see an conflict, in fact I see more of a compliment to the 2 guilds, in fact to all 3 guilds. Each guild has it's own distinct areas it focus's on. While yes, some areas may overlap. I do not think it will be enough of significant problem to warrant an real issues between the guilds. To keep any issues from arising all that needs to be done is to outline what each guild will offer and how to deal with any overlap that may occur.

Aria

It is essential that knowledge be shared universally to all people. In an environment where everyone can access the knowledge freely.

Which means no wards, no celestial circles of power, and an availability for people literate to read to those who are not.

It means simply the Sages guild needs to be its own entity. For the comfort of the Vansir (not barbarian), the Biata and those opposed to "sky" magics. (Which I am not opposed to I am merely pointing this out).

In Service
Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

Aye, there are indeed good reasons for a Sages Guild. In fact, there is technically no reason you cannot have a town with two Mages' Guilds, but I would be remiss if I did not see a conflict with one of my own members splitting their allegiance.

Tell me, are the nobles allowed to swear fealty to two different countries at the same time?

Wizard Aloysius

But the guilds are -not- countries. They are two separate affiliations that still serve the kingdom of Icenia. Can not a soldier still be a soldier of the Icenian army, and yet at the same time also serve a Barony? Or a Duchy for that matter?

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Fearless Leader said:
Aye, there are indeed good reasons for a Sages Guild. In fact, there is technically no reason you cannot have a town with two Mages' Guilds, but I would be remiss if I did not see a conflict with one of my own members splitting their allegiance.

Tell me, are the nobles allowed to swear fealty to two different countries at the same time?

Wizard Aloysius

If the two guilds offered different goods and services, I do not see what issue there would be. I can understand if someones interests were too split, that there would be a limitation of the work they could do within the guild or the rank they can achieve. But why would they be limited to working one or the other? In fact you have two nobles (myself and Dame Darlassia) who are both in the Healers Guild, the Mages Guild and serve our proespective Baronies. If you ask us where our first priority is, we will tell you serving the people of Icenia... and directly serving as a noble within our respective baronies. Does that limit the amount of time we can devote to the guilds, yes... but does that create a conflict of interest? I would hope not, considering we are working to serve the people of Icenia through our work in the guilds, as well as what we do in our noble duty. Will we ever achieve high ranks? Probably not, although my rank in the healers guild is mostly due to the fact I served there first before becoming a noble.

The Mages Guild and the Sages Guild are two different entities serving the same body: Icenia. The Mages Guild offers knowledge yes, but mostly of an arcane nature. The Sages Guild steps outside of those boundaries, and is in a position to give access to that knowledge to peoples whose aversion to celestial magics would otherwise prohibit them from going to a celestial guild.

If you and Aria ensured that the Guilds were clearly defined, then it should not present too much of an issue. (I hope). But this is a matter for you Guildmaster and Aria to work out. I hope it can be done for the benefit of the Duchy and the Kingdom.

In Service
~Glori

Back