A really strange request

I didn't get angry...

And if people don't want their pictures taken that's really too bad... they can suck it up and deal...

Though waking NPCs up at 9am is poor form ;-)

but still funny...

9AM? I'm not used to go asleep till then on Alliance weekedns :D

thank you for proving my point :)

Tieran

Remember this is a NON player you are talking too. The best light to shoot photographs in, is Morning light. And I was told by a number of people to be there early, so I was there at 9 and thought I was late.

No, you were real nice along with Parduc and the other "Cats", and the Dark Elves, but there were a few who really bitched about me being OOG. True I asked My son, where things might take place because I wanted to be in position, but I tried very hard to keep it between him and me, and not spoil it for everyone, and got called on it. (by the way he Bitched at me about asking him too) Because I've been on the Fringes for 6 years now, I had a working knowledge, but nothing else.

Well if you want the photos you'll just have to live with it, I think I caught everyone that day, along with a few stray Way-lays. If I'm back up on an event weekend, I'll try to do it again, In a character of some kind, in Costume. But since I don't handle a sword well, I'll need a protector.

Until later
Sindyl

Marcena said:
Sweet vid! Dan, you help put it together?

Heh, if you mean came up with the idea, organized all the shoots, provided most of the transportation, produced, directed and starred, and did all the editing and post production, then yes, I helped. :) Most of the blame belongs to me. But it should be said and emphasized that was NOT done without very valuable accomplices.

Thank you. :)

Dan

I wouldn't call it nerdiness. I'd call it brilliance. You had the concept, shot the footage, Probably picked the costumes, and the "player" you knew who could pull off what you wanted shown, Worked for months, Looked for the right locations, remembering not to use them too many times to show travel, did your own stunts, had to deal with people that probably had their own ideas. Then there was Fighter rehearsals, and setting the tone.

That's were great directors come from. Did you write a story board too? and were was it shot? I never did ask, but it's a great location.

I know LARP'ers have a way of calling themselves nerds, and I'll say it again. You are far better than Nerds, because you don't have your nose in a book, you get out there and play and use your vast knowledge and brain power, and you interact with other people.

I'm going to paraphrase a Quote for an OLD star trek: They found themselves on a plant that was design to recreation, but did not realize it until the end. When Kirk ask the "keeper" Play?

Spock said, "Yes Captain, the more intelligent the life form, the more important play becomes."

Have a great week

Sindyl said:
Dan

I wouldn't call it nerdiness. I'd call it brilliance. You had the concept, shot the footage, Probably picked the costumes, and the "player" you knew who could pull off what you wanted shown, Worked for months, Looked for the right locations, remembering not to use them too many times to show travel, did your own stunts, had to deal with people that probably had their own ideas. Then there was Fighter rehearsals, and setting the tone.

That's were great directors come from. Did you write a story board too? and were was it shot? I never did ask, but it's a great location.

I did a storyboard and even made an animatic (i.e., animated storyboard). Most of the shooting was done at the Middlesex Fells (a park north of Boston, MA) and Purgatory Chasm (another park, this one south of Worcester, MA). The scene where I walk across the frozen lake was at Spot Pond, just north of Boston (and visible from I-93!) I do have to say that that day was COLD. It was around 17 degrees F with 20-30mph winds.

As for the costumes, they were all stuff that people had bought on their own/donated for the cause except for mine. That one I made myself. Actually, my friend Adrienne made the cotehardie and in the process taught me how to sew, and from there I made the tabard, waistcoast, yoke, scarf and cloak.

If I get around to it I might post a movie with outtakes. You'd be surprised at how easy it is for me to slip and stumble when I'm walking in a straight line. :)

When I get home I'll post on the boards a pic showing what sliding 8' down a rope the rope did to my hands.

Here's just some behind the scenes stuff...

When I was standing here like this:
wall.jpg

This is what I was looking at (off camera to the left)
view.jpg

And doing this little stunt:
rope.jpg

Resulted in this: (it was unintentional!)
hands.jpg

I want to know is what you landed on that didn't kill you. That was one heck of a drop.

Dan, you did great. That's all part of acting and making you viewer believe what they are seeing.

Great job, and next time your warrior should wear gloves perhaps.

Sindyl said:
I want to know is what you landed on that didn't kill you. That was one heck of a drop.

That's movie magic for you. I only dropped about 6 or 7 feet, onto a pile of cardboard boxes.

Great job, and next time your warrior should wear gloves perhaps.

I was wearing fingerless woolen gloves, which protected my palms, but not my fingers. It happened because we made the rope too long for the shot and I slid down further than expected (we ended up using that shot for the slide after all). After that slide, we realized I was way too low on the rope for the "cut and drop" scene to look right, so we had to shorten the rope and do it again. So despite my fingers no longer having skin, we quickly set it up again, I forced my hands into leather gloves, and we did it again, and this time it worked fine.

I just uploaded a video that shows the raw footage of the rope cut/drop scene so you can see how we did it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka8QzhXRkQc[/youtube]

Very Cool

zehnyu said:
Hey Dan,

Nice use of the green screen :)

-Ali

Well, that was the intent, but it didn't work out so well. I ended up having to paint out the background frame by frame.

Premiere, but yes.

Back