A simple Question

Oh I do hate to be a bother in others dreams, but I just thought about something that is some what important for me to be able to do in order to provide myself with potions of sorts. I am aware I could take up a profession to earn myself some gold, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? Would anyone suggest I become a singing bard of some sorts? I am not sure if I could do such a thing. *blush* Given the fact I don't have a great amount of confidence it is something I could do well. I'm not really looking for something that pays a lot, but just something simple. It's not as though I get paid to help others. I ask not for that. I do it out of the kindness of my heart. Any thoughts or suggestions though? I am looking forward to any and all responses that may float into my dreams.

Oh... I have a suggestion... Well, I've recently taken up singing and songwriting. Soon I'm planning on storytelling... Would you be at all interested in a partnership? We could write, sing, and maybe even dance together! I could try and help you achieve more confidence in yourself... if you wanted to, that is! I know you don't know me more than our brief meetings in dreams, but I'm looking for someone to sing with... *smiles*
~Kasuni

kasuni said:
Oh... I have a suggestion... Well, I've recently taken up singing and songwriting. Soon I'm planning on storytelling... Would you be at all interested in a partnership? We could write, sing, and maybe even dance together! I could try and help you achieve more confidence in yourself... if you wanted to, that is! I know you don't know me more than our brief meetings in dreams, but I'm looking for someone to sing with... *smiles*
~Kasuni

Now singing in groups is something I am quite familiar with. I was a part of the Priestess' Chorus when I was still studying back at the academy of healing. You've peaked my interest and I would like to discuss this more so with you in person if I can get the chance.

~Lhrayven

kasuni said:
Wonderful! Will you be in town in about two month's time?

I hope to be as long as fate and whether allow for such.

~Lhrayven

My suggestion,

Adventure. No, seriously, I mean it...stop laughing. When coin is low and needed to fund other activities simply fall back to the good old standby. Killing for fun and profit. The area around crossroads is constantly infested with various undesirable creatures that for some reason seem to carry loose coin more often than not. Let's not ask ourselves why or how they carry it there are some questions best left unanswered. At any rate, the trick to turning a profit while adventuring is really quite simple. You need a small, competent group that's willing and able to "tactically retreat" when things get ugly. Find a group of people who are about as experienced as you are...or a little more, that you can trust not to turn on you, and you can rely on to carry their weight during an operation. Keep it a small group so you don't have to split loot too many ways, and most importantly keep it competent. Practice together until you know how each other thinks and acts, and then go hunting. There are always things in need of killing and coin to be made doing it. Just make sure you don't end up on the wrong side of the law or a blade and you can see a surprisingly large amount of coin in a surprisingly short time. Then you use that coin to make things you sell for more coin, but that's a whole other speech. Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask there's several of us around who have been around this particular block more than once.

Nikos

Nikos_Sonus said:
Killing for fun and profit

Um... I just thought something should be asked about this... How is killing fun? I mean... it's just as fun as dying: for most people it's lacking in the enjoyment department... From my experience, killing is a tool used far too often. Esspecially if the point is a sport or fun, such as hunting. The profit I understand a little more than the fun... but either way... it just doesn't seem right...

~Kasuni

Oh i don't know. Killing undead is fun ... there's always that nice meaty thunk when you're fighting a zombie. And then of course there are the Trolls. There's just something that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside when those are concerned. Or it could be just the dwarf in me talking.

kasuni said:
Um... I just thought something should be asked about this... How is killing fun? I mean... it's just as fun as dying: for most people it's lacking in the enjoyment department... From my experience, killing is a tool used far too often. Esspecially if the point is a sport or fun, such as hunting. The profit I understand a little more than the fun... but either way... it just doesn't seem right...

~Kasuni

kasuni said:
From my experience, killing is a tool used far too often. Esspecially if the point is a sport or fun, such as hunting.

Yes, killing is used too often to fix things which could be fixed in other ways...but hunting? Hunting may be fun, but fun isn't why you hunt, at least, it shouldn't be.
Killing is best done when it is that or be killed...which seems to arise a lot in the crossroads. Killing because of this, can also be fun, but it is also no why you kill. Not why I kill anyway.

-Syndel

Tulbor said:
There's just something that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside when those are concerned. Or it could be just the dwarf in me talking.

Trolls usually want to kill you, and can be fun to kill because they put up a fight. It's too bad theyre not good for eating though. There were those tolls that came about during that fel realm time that just wanted drinks. It was sad that they were killed.
-Syndel

I think he might've meant you can kill the things that threaten the town, which can be fun if you like killing or fun if you like protecting the town. But in either way the town has less monsters to deal with and you have more money. But also with what he said it might be fun to learn more about how your friends fight and it could be fun to learn who to work well together. That way if anything attacks the town you know who you work well with and what some of you can do. In all those ways I see things that can benefit more then one person.

Good points, all of them. I could also say;

How is killing fun?

Wellllllll, I guess one could say it all comes down to a point of view. Ask one person and they could tell you it is the ultimate expression of power. The taking, or granting, of another's life is the surest proof of your own power over them.

Others will say that it is the ultimate test of oneself. To engage others in mortal combat, striving until one lives and one dies. It is only in such extremity that we truly know ourselves.

Another might tell you that the greatest game in the world is one where your own life is at stake. You can bet money, gems, lands on the skill of your blade but to throw your life into the pot and offer it up to Lady Luck. Well, that's the greatest thrill anyone can ever know, and the only time we are ever truly alive.

Someone else could tell you that it is simply fun. Killing and slaying is simply an enjoyable pastime much like cards or reading. Just another thing to do to pass the time.

There's always revenge. Taking the life of one who has wronged you and yours is a time honored tradition and probably one of our earliest forms of recreation. There are many folks who may not admit to it but have had a lot of fun killing their enemies.

and of course, someone else might say to you that I've got a big mouth, no sense of decorum and very little seriousness. Therefore anything I say should be taken with a very large block of salt. That too is a possibility. At any rate, take it as you will, it's a suggestion and one that can end up helping a lot of people depending on who or what you kill. After all, what's the difference between a patriot and a murderer?

Nikos

Yes, but in anyway don't act harsh towards Nikos if you don't like killing. Hes just giving you another idea and trying to help. It is true that adventuring brings in good money. But there are many paths you can go down to try and obtain money, you just have to have a sense of what you want to do.

Nikos_Sonus said:
Wellllllll, I guess one could say it all comes down to a point of view.

I agree. That is why I asked. I've recently aquired a curiousity for other people's points of view and opinions. I appreciate the information you've provided me with, and that you've taken the time to understand that I meant no offense. I realized shortly after saying those things, they could've easily been taken the wrong way. I'm glad you didn't though.

Vanyel Anarion said:
Yes, but in anyway don't act harsh towards Nikos if you don't like killing.

I wasn't going to act harshly at all... I wouldn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if it's different from my own. I just seek to learn more about the variances in opinions that might occur. Good to hear you by the way.

~Kasuni

kasuni said:
I wasn't going to act harshly at all... I wouldn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if it's different from my own. I just seek to learn more about the variances in opinions that might occur. Good to hear you by the way.

~Kasuni

I doubted you were but just saying just in case. It seems many times especially on the dreamscape things can be taken wrongly and can turn into a argument fast. Just trying avoid arguments. But yes there are many ways to make money. If you really enjoy singing and dancing then maybe taking up Kasuni's offer is a really good thing to do.

'ay oi!

Finkin' ya gotza singsong eh? if that seashell pop'a' crystal, and not blasta foghorn then I finks we may 'ave ourselves a bitza taff to jabber ya?
I'll be skippin' in morning fog early risah, in two bits and a bluff hit me lamppost an' mayhapz we canz werk out an arangement.
Seein' az 'ow we' gotz ourselves a fine place o' dinin' and I can fink of nufing bettah to go with the kings fillings then a crystal siren hummin' away.
So yeah
-Justin

Don't worry, so far no one here has spoken harshly to me as far as I can tell. Besides, even if they had I'd just laugh. This of all places is not one to take offense in. But thank you for the consideration, I appreciate it.

Nikos

Nikos_Sonus said:
My suggestion,

Adventure. No, seriously, I mean it...stop laughing. When coin is low and needed to fund other activities simply fall back to the good old standby. Killing for fun and profit. The area around crossroads is constantly infested with various undesirable creatures that for some reason seem to carry loose coin more often than not. Let's not ask ourselves why or how they carry it there are some questions best left unanswered. At any rate, the trick to turning a profit while adventuring is really quite simple. You need a small, competent group that's willing and able to "tactically retreat" when things get ugly. Find a group of people who are about as experienced as you are...or a little more, that you can trust not to turn on you, and you can rely on to carry their weight during an operation. Keep it a small group so you don't have to split loot too many ways, and most importantly keep it competent. Practice together until you know how each other thinks and acts, and then go hunting. There are always things in need of killing and coin to be made doing it. Just make sure you don't end up on the wrong side of the law or a blade and you can see a surprisingly large amount of coin in a surprisingly short time. Then you use that coin to make things you sell for more coin, but that's a whole other speech. Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask there's several of us around who have been around this particular block more than once.

Nikos

Unfortunately, I don't trust many. After my first death back in January I certainly do not wish to relie too heavily on others. I am aware that some of the people who aided me during that time are now traveling to far off lands. Tis a sad thing for me to see. Everyone I grow slightly close to leaves. I am glad I never called anyone or anything 'family'. I hate to sound rude if that is how I come off, but I am just stating that when I fell in combat not many decided to send out a search party to even try and locate my corpse. I was quite saddened by this and by such actions it speaks to me a great deal about the concerns that others have. I don't want excuses, I would much rather see results. However at least one good thing came out of it, wisdom and a desire to train and becoming better as a fighter. Thank you for the suggestion though, however I do not believe I shall be attempting this anytime soon.

~Lhrayven

Vanyel Anarion said:
I doubted you were but just saying just in case. It seems many times especially on the dreamscape things can be taken wrongly and can turn into a argument fast. Just trying avoid arguments. But yes there are many ways to make money. If you really enjoy singing and dancing then maybe taking up Kasuni's offer is a really good thing to do.

I'd say it is a much better looking prospect then allowing myself to willing trust others on a whim that they would watch my back as we hunted for the evils that threaten the town.

Justin said:
Finkin' ya gotza singsong eh? if that seashell pop'a' crystal, and not blasta foghorn then I finks we may 'ave ourselves a bitza taff to jabber ya?
I'll be skippin' in morning fog early risah, in two bits and a bluff hit me lamppost an' mayhapz we canz werk out an arangement.
Seein' az 'ow we' gotz ourselves a fine place o' dinin' and I can fink of nufing bettah to go with the kings fillings then a crystal siren hummin' away.
So yeah
-Justin

I would love nothing more then to lend my voice to the lovely new establishment that you work for Justin. It would be an honor and a priviledge. You should seek me out the next I am in town. I would like to speak to you at length about a possible arrangement granted it is alright with the owner of the establishment. If I have been ignorant in the fact that you are indeed the owner then my apologies. I was ill informed of this.

~Lhrayven

Back