A word to the Sheriff and Deputies

Greetings Master Sheriff and Deputies,

My name is Beladorus Strangesen, I am a certified business manager and protected under our laws from the depredations of the lawless. I would request your investigation in a matter of recent happenstance and injury to my business, and those in my employ. It of of great regre

On the night of June 5th of our 609 the act of murder was commited by 2 of your citizens. I request that this matter be fully investigated, tried, and punished by the rightfull lawmen of Briarpass. A short inquiry performed by my company is at your full disposal and the victim of the crime can be made available to you. Other circumstances which should be kept private will be explained at your request.

Regards,

Beladorus Strangesen
Member Hitch 42

The matter is being investigated.

Deputy Rockfist

Stoneskull,

I commited that murder. I was alone in this. I killed the slaver. I will accept the consequences of my actions.

Cerria

SO are we protecting Slavers at these lands? Those bastards that do unspeakable evils to fill their pockets. Sounds like Justice more than murder to me.

*Snarls and snaps jaws*

Can their "cargo" press charges for kidnapping, torture, and murder too? Or is that too much to look for from the "LAW"

*Glares through narrowed eyes*

Stranger,

Those men, when told they couldn't touch the person who they were in pursuit of by me, didn't. They obeyed the laws. One of the men that was murdered was an unarmed stagecoach driver.

In parts of Wayside, yes, slavery is legal. This happens to be one of those parts. If you have a problem with the laws, take it up with Regent Renlee Firstborne. I enforce the laws, I don't make them. That's his job.

Deputy Garmok Stoneskull Rockfist

Slavers are monsters that should be destroyed and are not welcome among the lands of our town as is agreed apon by those that you protect Stoneskull. To kill a slaver or their minions is no true crime if it holds the support of the people.

-- Aureus

Aureus said:
Slavers are monsters that should be destroyed and are not welcome among the lands of our town as is agreed apon by those that you protect Stoneskull. To kill a slaver or their minions is no true crime if it holds the support of the people.

-- Aureus

Aureus,

I know that yourself, as well as the mystic wood elf and stone elf adventurers, believe that slavery is something that must be abolished. Killing people for doing their job, abiding by the law, well, that's murder, and it will be punished to the fullest extent of the law - resurrection.

Deputy Garmok Stoneskull Rockfist

Don' forget de Rom, mon ami. Bein' a former wearer of de chains mahself ah have a unique perspective on de topic o' slalvery. An'one who t'inks passin' a law d'at make slavery legal should first spend a year chained to an oar, d'en see if dey still have de same thought. Ah'm bettin' no.

~Raif

Garmock is correct. Slavery is morally apprehensible and to me the lowest of the low. But, murder is still murder.

I am sure that the merchants had all of the correct paperwork and presented it to Deputy Rockfist. I do find myself wondering. Kyrie was held as a slave in Tinpany. She was recently freed by the order of the regent, when slavery was abolished in that regency. Did she come from that same caravan?

Liddia

Killin' slavers is murdah? Ah know what it say on de paper, but anyone who plies de slave trade is much like someone who willin'ly takes up necromancy. Dey have a serious character flaw in dey make-up, dey an embarrasment to dey family an' friends, dey partake in de most unsavory sort o' business, and dey ruin whatevah society dey live in. Plus you say d'at one was dumb enough to walk into a part o' town where d'ere be a large group o' Wood folk known to reside?

Murder? Mo' like an all-'round mercy killin' seem to me. But no, ah didn't kill d'at one. Gettin' slow in mah old age ah guess. Anyone who say slavery is okay in any way, shape, or form need to spend some time chained to an oar, d'en see if dey still feel de same way, othahwise d'at is what we call an "uninformed opinion".

~Raif, he of the "informed variety" on d'is mattah

Pokethulu said:
Garmock is correct. Slavery is morally apprehensible and to me the lowest of the low. But, murder is still murder.

I am sure that the merchants had all of the correct paperwork and presented it to Deputy Rockfist. I do find myself wondering. Kyrie was held as a slave in Tinpany. She was recently freed by the order of the regent, when slavery was abolished in that regency. Did she come from that same caravan?

Liddia

Someone saw off yer horns when ye were sleepin', lass? I'd thought better of ye than defendin' that sort 'o scum that holds one can own another person.

In any case, this tears it. If what tha Deputy says is true, I'll not do business in a land that'd be just as willing to sell their neighbors as the goods in m' wagon. Apparently the posted laws left that little bit o' information out, and the right things're more important than a bit o' useless coin.

-Padraig

Pokethulu said:
I do find myself wondering. Kyrie was held as a slave in Tinpany. She was recently freed by the order of the regent, when slavery was abolished in that regency. Did she come from that same caravan?

Liddia

Yes, I escaped from that very same caravan. In fact the men were in Briarpass tasked with my retrieval having tracked & chased me all the way from Tinpany. They were not slaveowners or taskmasters themselves, merely men in the employ of a slaveowner who was endeavoring to keep his property. They were caravan guards who had the misfortune to be on duty when I escaped and it was likely fear of the reprisal they would receive upon returning empty handed that gave them the perseverence to pursue me so diligently. My sympathy for their plight did not give me any desire to go back with them, and I am grateful that Briarpass protected and shielded me from being returned to slavery but I do not believe these men deserved murder. Death can sometimes be brought down in justice, but Murder can never be just.

It is good of Cerria to step forward and admit her part in this. If there is another who committed this act as well I ask that you follow her example rather than allow her to face the consequences alone.

Kyrie

I think part of what Liddia said was meant to be a point to think about. To put it simply, Kyrie was a free person by order of the regent and thus these gentlemen were forcing free persons out of a free land against their will. Technically Kyrie was no longer a slave therefore she could leave the caravan as she pleased. Overall, paperwork or not, she was a free person when the Regent abolished slavery, this allowed her to choose where she went from there.

In a free regency, no one can own anyone else and the slaveowner no longer had valid paperwork to prove that he could.

These thoughts based on the law of the land. We may not have laws against slavery here in Briarpass, but if Timpany has laws against such fowl treatment and ownership of another humanoid, then those laws need to be respected as well. This means that the gentleman who once resided in Timpany no longer legally owned any one in his caravan.

Squire Eldandiril

Eldandiril said:
I think part of what Liddia said was meant to be a point to think about. To put it simply, Kyrie was a free person by order of the regent and thus these gentlemen were forcing free persons out of a free land against their will. Technically Kyrie was no longer a slave therefore she could leave the caravan as she pleased. Overall, paperwork or not, she was a free person when the Regent abolished slavery, this allowed her to choose where she went from there.

In a free regency, no one can own anyone else and the slaveowner no longer had valid paperwork to prove that he could.

These thoughts based on the law of the land. We may not have laws against slavery here in Briarpass, but if Timpany has laws against such fowl treatment and ownership of another humanoid, then those laws need to be respected as well. This means that the gentleman who once resided in Timpany no longer legally owned any one in his caravan.

Squire Eldandiril

Eldandiril,

The reason the men were here is quite irrelevant. They did not break any law of Wayside. They did not assault anyone, nor did they attempt to use force to reclaim Kyrie. When they were old they could not do what they wanted to do, because they could not produce any proof to back up their claims, they complied. It was then, while in compliance, they were murdered. They did not take up arms against the town, they were lied to and deceived, and then forced to resurrect.

Deputy Rockfist

Fer clarity's sake, kin we get a readin' o' tha actual laws regardin' slavery 'round here? After all, next time I see some blackguard chainin' up tha peasantry, I'd be glad ta know if'n I'm in the legal clear when I turn 'em inta wormfood.

-Padraig

Padraig,

If you are not in the 'legal clear' as you put it, I would be quite saddened. Maybe so far as to have not been able to recall the happening for a few hours. Now you, my friend, would never wish to cause that to happen to me...I am sure.

Kevar Byrne

For shame master Byrne For shame.

Briana Winseur
Justicariat Inquisitor

Wraith said:
Fer clarity's sake, kin we get a readin' o' tha actual laws regardin' slavery 'round here? After all, next time I see some blackguard chainin' up tha peasantry, I'd be glad ta know if'n I'm in the legal clear when I turn 'em inta wormfood.

-Padraig

Padraig,

You would not be in the clear. That would be murder.

Deputy Rockfist

Hmmmmm, *sniffsniff* ah smell a legal loophole.

Mebbe if ah get mahself a slaver's license d'en ah can be protected by de law from gettin' killed, too, cause ah'm told right now d'at ain't de case bein' a Rom an' all. Is d'at really how 'tis, d'at if ah was a slaver ah'd be mo' welcome an' safe d'an ah am as an occasional visitor to yo' fair lands? Jus' curious is all.

~Raif

Back