About the race packets

If you're interested in submitting artwork to be considered for race packet updates, please let me know. Or if you're good at taking the existing artwork and coloring it. :thumbsup:

Any interest in photos or are you going purely with drawn work?

There are so many talented artists who play this game, who deserve to have the artwork they've created out of love for what we do here showcased on the national level. I say artwork for the race packets.

For me personally, artwork is more fitting for a tabletop game. My preference towards photos is two-fold :

1. As much as I like to show-case artwork, most professional level artist won't work for free and shouldn't, so often times you won't get the same level of detailed work as you would get with a good amateur photo. I am not knocking those who have contributed artwork, it's just an observation from an industry standpoint.

2. We are a LARP. The game takes place before our eyes, not just our collective imaginations, like a tabletop. How the races are really repped has a certain aesthetic that the current race packets don't do justice. Many of us put in a lot of work into the visual presentation of the game and artwork just doesn't represent that. Artist renditions never really capture what the race is supposed to look-like IG, just what the artist thinks the race should look like in our imaginations. It is far easier to gain inspiration for costumes based off of a photo of a real player rather than an artist rendition of a fantasy character. Heck, even if it is based off of a character it still ends up more fantasy than can be phys-repped.

evi1r0n said:
For me personally, artwork is more fitting for a tabletop game. My preference towards photos is two-fold :

1. As much as I like to show-case artwork, most professional level artist won't work for free and shouldn't, so often times you won't get the same level of detailed work as you would get with a good amateur photo. I am not knocking those who have contributed artwork, it's just an observation from an industry standpoint.

2. We are a LARP. The game takes place before our eyes, not just our collective imaginations, like a tabletop. How the races are really repped has a certain aesthetic that the current race packets don't do justice. Many of us put in a lot of work into the visual presentation of the game and artwork just doesn't represent that. Artist renditions never really capture what the race is supposed to look-like IG, just what the artist thinks the race should look like in our imaginations. It is far easier to gain inspiration for costumes based off of a photo of a real player rather than an artist rendition of a fantasy character. Heck, even if it is based off of a character it still ends up more fantasy than can be phys-repped.

There is nothing here I don't agree with, though I know plenty of professional level artists who do donate their work and time to their favorite hobbies. :D

I agree that it is a LARP and we should showcase that visual splendor. Yes, people can be inspired by artwork, but part of job is selling how cool LARP is. The packets should have lots of cool pictures. I'd be happy to get into the Papa Syrah outfit (old Dryad NPC with wig and fake beard made of grapes) and do some photos. Alliance SF has some nice Dryad weapons as well. I think if each chapter did a photo shoot showcasing PCs and NPCs (of playable races) we would have plenty of awesome photos. Maybe even have NPCs as the enemies of those races that have them. High-Ogres and Dryads fighting undead, Dwarves fighting trolls, etc. And for the photos not chosen for the packets, those can go up on webpages.

Thanks Jim. I would love to do a race photoshoot with the Seattle crew in our fully decorated tavern. I may do it anyways but if we switched to photos, I would be prompted to do it faster. :thumbsup:

I like the illustrations. In my brain, especially for kin, people look *way* different/better than what people can rep. Same for tuskies, sarr, and dryads.

I think they show the intention or ideal of the race, rather than the race by Mehron/slush cast/Woochie.

phedre said:
In my brain, especially for kin, people look *way* different/better than what people can rep. Same for tuskies, sarr, and dryads.
That's actually why I prefer pictures, particularly with the race packets becoming open publications. Even if you're cherrypicking for the best possible representation of what's out there, it still sets up a more reasonable expectation of what you'll find at an event.

No reason why it couldn't be both.

Back