Alliance Food For Thought Pt. 1: Cross Classes

On topic: Nothing in this game is based on class except for body points and skill costs. Honestly, I like that.

That said, I like the idea of "epic" skills. Just, rather than limit them to a certain class, I feel the costs should be heavily weighted to favor preferred classes (like the waylay skill).

Spit balling (defensive):

Bulwark (May buy 1/5 Parries) -> Gain 20 Body / Parry you have. This is not healing and can put you over your normal total body (essentially a Super Bless, following bless rules). [5 Build for fighters, at least 10 for all other classes]

Avoid (May buy 1/5 Dodges) -> When hit by an attack, say "avoid". Attack is negated. You can continue to use this ability against that attacker until you make an attack against anyone (max 10 minutes) [8 build for rogues, at least 16 for all other classes]

Return (may buy 1 / 2 Dodges AND 2 Parries) -> When hit by any attack, say "return". Attack is negated on you and sent back at attacker (as per a bane, reflect, or riposte). [8 Build for scouts, at least 16 for all other classes]

Spell Parry (may buy 1 / 2 Parries AND 3 9th level spell) -> Per the ritual spell parry, but doesn't use up a parry in the process (just uses up this skill). [5 build for templars, at least 10 build for all other classes]

Spell Vengeance (may buy 1 / 2 Dodges AND 3 9th level spell) -> When hit by a spell, activate, spellstrike, or "magic" attack (not magic carrier), say Spell Vengeance <name of uncast spell in memory>. Attack is negated and attacker is hit with "Arcane <spell name stated>". [10 build for adepts, at least 20 build for all other classes]

Empower (may buy 1 / 7 9th level spells) -> When hit by a spell, activate, spellstrike, or "magic" attack (not magic carrier), say Empower <name of a spell you have cast today>. Attack is negated and you regain the declared spell in memory. [6 build for scholars, at least 12 build for all other classes]

That really is all just spit balling. The requirements for each one is almost exactly 170 build for the "preferred" class (give or take a few points), but I didn't really look too closely at balance. Still, it would be nice to have true capstone abilities (riposte, eviscerate, and high magic just don't quite cut it).

-MS

Gilwing said:
I would have made a C scholar in a Golem with a +3 wacker and other toys

I agree ;)

I will admit, as a high level earth templar with a fairly spread out build, I'm not nearly as efficient in any one given field as a pure class would be. Heck, as a spread out build, I'm not even as efficient as an earth templar of my level could be.

As the game stands, I'm pretty happy with my spread. I know I'm not nearly as good at any one thing as someone dedicated to that art, but I've achieved a relative Jack status build-wise, and that combined with the in-game relations my character has generally lets me go and do just about anything I want *with* just about anyone I want. That spread even let me go and be useful on a mod that I would have been very sad to miss out on when I ended up a page due to medical reasons in the middle of an event last year.

I think if there were better capstone abilities for classes (and I really prefer the pre-req and cost limitation rather than straight lock-out,) I would probably have built super efficiently instead of spreading out my skill set.

I want to chime in and say I am 100% behind the idea of adding cross class only skills

So far I do like the spell parry for templar idea and I am excited to see if this goes somewhere or even gets proposed

A few small changes (that I'm sure have come up before) that could be incorporated into Scout without adding skills or game abilities, is first to allow them to combine their number of Profs and Backstabs to determine the skills they're eligible that fall under both. For example, Riposte can be purchased once for any combination of four Weapon Profs or Backstabs. So, a Scout with two of each could buy a Riposte, instead of waiting for four of one. Same would apply to Stun Limb and Shatter. Then, secondly, allows Slay and Assassinate damage to stack with each other, which might make buying them worth it.

EDIT (because my original post wasn't entirely on-topic with the OP/I got sidetracked with my thought process): I would definitely be in support of cross class specific skills. Although, for me, it's not necessary to persuade me to play one, considering that I already do (Scout). That said, I really like the idea of giving Templars Spell Parries. That just makes too much sense. I'd also like to see Spell Riposte get made into a thing, too, and given to Adepts. Scouts, though, I have a much harder time coming up with ideas for. Maybe something along the lines of a skill similar to Stun Limb? Maybe a PTD Slow effect, a la Disease? Have it be purchasable once for every two Profs/Stabs.

If we're going to talk about Fighter specific skills, though, I totally want to see PTD Destroy be a thing. The image of a Fighter busting through a door is just great.

I'd pay build to have my slays and assassinates combine for damage.

Though in reality, with the increase in skill costs, scouts already do.

But that would get me to buy assassinates.

I think a good option for a cap skill would be the option to buy a carrier (maybe select from a couple different ones) that can be applied to per day skills (or just slay/assassinate).

tieran said:
I'd pay build to have my slays and assassinates combine for damage.

Though in reality, with the increase in skill costs, scouts already do.

But that would get me to buy assassinates.

I think a good option for a cap skill would be the option to buy a carrier (maybe select from a couple different ones) that can be applied to per day skills (or just slay/assassinate).
I'd play scout JUST to Slayinate.

Don't be ridiculous Frisco... You'd be Assaying people.

twilsemail said:
Don't be ridiculous Frisco... You'd be Assaying people.

I creep up from behind and Assy you! Or at least shoot you from across the room with one.

Back on topic, I think the introduction of class-specific skills across the board would be great.

What do people think about a PTD Paralysis skill for Scouts?

I feel a silence type effect might be appropriate for scouts or adepts, like maybe being able to maybe buy it as a carrier for assassinates or something of that like.

Back