Alliance LARP Wikipedia Page

Folks,
I managed to get the Wikipedia page undeleted, but it is still on the potential chopping block for notability. If anyone knows how to modify a Wikipedia page or knows about independent sources that have covered, interviewed, etc. Alliance, that would help. I'm a bit out of my depth here.

-MS

Discovery Channel did a whole show on JUST Alliance...that ought to be worth some credibility.

Discovery Channel and G4 Underground. Also Monster Camp the movie was about one of our chapters. Also, Alliance LARP won Best in Show in the costume contest in Wizard World Philadelphia in 2013.

That's just off the top of my head. There should be some other notability things as well. Oh yeah, Mike's books too. And Heidi Hooper, one of the founders, is in the Ripley's Believe it or Not. And I believe two chapters also own their own sites.

That's a lot more notability than some other larps on there. But wikipedia can also be about politics. If people scream and yell the loudest or have friends who work for Wikipedia they can get stuff taken down. I saw it in roller derby. Despite having the largest cash prize ($20,000) and being on some national cooking show and having over 40 teams across the nation and one in Scotland, my roller derby league got taken down because people from another league yelled loud enough.

A point person would be key on this stuff however.

Do we have anyone familiar with using wikipedia? I looked at the deletion discussion page and someone already wants it deleted, someone whose ID is a front for another ID that has tens of thousands of edits. I have no idea how to properly edit wikipedia stuff and no ID or ID history with the page. Surely we must have someone in our player base who is good at this stuff.

The biggest issue it looks like people have with the page, Scott, is that there aren't enough supporting links, from other sites, talking about us. Links to the pics from Wizard World, or just the notice that the org won that award... a direct link to the G4 underground episode, or someone talking about it.... a link to the stuff for the Discovery Channel... plus, any other media done by local papers (looking at you, SoMN)... these are the kinds of things that Wikipedia editors look for. Our page right now, is pretty dang skimpy, and really could use a total rewrite.

The biggest issue it looks like people have with the page, Scott, is that there aren't enough supporting links, from other sites, talking about us. Links to the pics from Wizard World, or just the notice that the org won that award... a direct link to the G4 underground episode, or someone talking about it.... a link to the stuff for the Discovery Channel... plus, any other media done by local papers (looking at you, SoMN)... these are the kinds of things that Wikipedia editors look for. Our page right now, is pretty dang skimpy, and really could use a total rewrite.

Oh I agree 100% Rob. I just don't have the time to learn wikipedia etiquette and use. All that stuff is pretty available, just needs to be linked into the page. If we can't find someone to do this, then we'll likely go away again.

It's all very political too with wikipedia. There are pages without a lot of stuff, but unless someone complains they're left alone. Get a few complainers, and it's a hassle. IMO, wikipedia is nice and all, but having or not having an article isn't going to make or break our brand.

If we can compile the links here, I'm willing to give it the old college try. Plus, I like arguing for a good cause, especially when I have actual facts on my side.

Ok, I put in a whole bunch of support on the Wikipedia deletion discussion.

My biggest question is how is Nero International then significant enough to have its own page? They have even less sources, and one of them is Mike Ventrella's article from Dragon magazine...

I've seen this more than once on wikipedia, it has one standard for one group and another standard for another group. The whole thing is hypocritical and biased.

Their article talks a lot more about the history of the organization than ours, and many more references in their articles, than our single reference.

Well, our article was re-nominated for deletion less than 8 hours after it was restored...

I'm going to give re-writing the article a shot, including all the links and sources I can find.

Last edited:
We used to have a much longer and in depth article, but much of it got deleted over and over by "editors".

I got turned off wikipedia a long time ago. It is no longer what it was originally supposed to be. It's bogged down with politics like so many other online things while pretending it's fighting the good fight. It's the typical thing where some people got a little power and went overboard.

And then they have the nerve to beg us for money.

Here's what I have so far:

Alliance LARP

Alliance LARP is a live action role playing game with a classic fantasy setting. The name “Alliance” refers to the alliance of chapters that have all agreed to the same rules, which allows a player to use the same character and items in any chapter in the Alliance. This also encourages players to travel to other chapters, which strengthens and reinforces the Alliance LARP organization as a whole.

As of February 2014, there are sixteen Alliance LARP chapters in the United States and one in Canada. These chapters are: Headquarters, Asheville, Calgary, Charlottesville, Chicago, Connecticut, Denver, Gettysburg, South Michigan, Southern Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York City, Oregon, San Francisco, Seattle, and Traverse City.

Alliance LARP differs itself from most other LARPs in that it is a role-playing game with some battles, rather than a battle game with some role-playing. The battles are conducted in real-time combat with boffer weapons to represent melee weapons and birdseed packets to represent archery, spells, and alchemical gas globes.

There are no “winners” or “losers” of the game in a traditional competitive gaming sense. Rather, the purpose of the game is to cooperatively live out a group story with other players through complex, interwoven plotlines and improvisational acting. In Alliance, a character’s “role” in the world can be almost anything. Some examples include a frontline fighter willing to defend the town at the slightest hint of danger, an inquisitive scholar seeking to explore the magical world, and a simple bard spending time entertaining others in the tavern. Over time, a character can climb the ranks of nobility, eventually becoming a squire, knight, or even a baron. The game world is set-up for players to explore, develop, and expand.

These stories are played through both one-day and weekend long events. Most chapters play an average of one weekend per month. Additionally, there is a “National Event” held every two years over Labor Day weekend with hundreds of players in attendance. Chapters take turns hosting the National Event, and the 2014 National Event will be held in the Southern Minnesota chapter.

History

Alliance LARP has its roots in the LARP game NERO Alliance, founded in 1989 (source needed). In 2008, NERO Alliance was split into two separate organizations, Alliance LARP and NERO International, after several issues among the owners of NERO Alliance were not able to be resolved in legal mediation (source needed). As many of the Alliance LARP chapters were part of the NERO Alliance, this twenty-five year history makes Alliance LARP one of the oldest LARP games in the United States. Due to having chapters from coast to coast in the United States and Canada, Alliance LARP also claims to be one of the largest LARPs in North America in terms of geographic area and number of players.

Notability

Alliance LARP has been featured on an episode of G4 Underground, which originally aired on April 26, 2009 (source needed). The internationally distributed documentary “Monster Camp” (source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970948/) followed the Seattle chapter of Alliance LARP. Many chapters of Alliance LARP have had local newspapers and other press reporting on the chapter’s activities when deemed newsworthy by those publications. (link local stories)

See Also

Link to rulebooks, etc.

We've got a writer/copy editor in our playership who's been a BDH for us before, and he's going to take a look it over the weekend.

The split from Nero was in 1998, but we used the name Nero Alliance. We dropped the Nero in 2008.

Deleted yesterday. They were reverting any changes less than 10 minutes after they were made with snide and unnecessary commentary to boot.

If someone does try to get the page restored again, they should make sure to have content ready to put up immediately.

Deleted yesterday. They were reverting any changes less than 10 minutes after they were made with snide and unnecessary commentary to boot.

If someone does try to get the page restored again, they should make sure to have content ready to put up immediately.

Only proving my earlier points. You would think admins of the page would be helping people, not belittling them. What do you expect from an admin with the name "Red Pen of Doom". They seem to get off on belittling people and exerting power over them.

Back