Alternate armor prop

Okay, since I don't have marshall access here's a really rough draft of the kind of thing I'd like to see. Please feel free to comment/suggest/rip into part or all of it, just let's keep it polite and constructive. If you think it sucks, say so once and then butt out, let the rest of us have fun trying to make it work :p .

Armour falls into four categories: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Plate. Each class gains one of these as a class benefit and is able to wear any armor of that type, plus any armor category lower down the scale than theirs. Each category has a maximum armor potential value for it's type, and as long as the wearer is wearing appropriate phys reps on at least 2/3 of the proscribed armor locations they count as "wearing armor". They may then equip an armor tag of value up to the max for that category.

Light: Up to ten points of armor. Armour may be made from canvas, quilted fabric, heavy velvet, light leather (5oz or lighter), or similar weight materials. Class feature of Scholar and Artisan.
Medium: Up to 15 points of armor. Armour may be made from heavy leather (6oz or heavier), studded light leather, leather scales, light ring mail leather. Class feature of Rogue and Adept.
Heavy: Up to 20 points of armor. Armour may be made from Curboiled leather, studded heavy leather, heavy ring mail, brigandine, and chain mail. Class features of Templar and Scout.
Plate: Up to 30 points of armor. Armour may be made from any gauge metal or minimum 3/8" thick plastic, however non-metallic plate MUST be painted and lacquered or covered over with leather in order to give it a better appearance than typical "pickle barrel plate". Only Fighters may wear plate armor.

*This form of armor system allows for much more creativity and affordability for people to get good gear for their characters. It also makes it so that their armor value is far more dependent on their IG economy and skills than it is on how much money they spent OOG to equip themselves. It also allows for variant materials for chain and plate without penalizing the player, reducing cost and increasing likelihood that someone will buy/make such armors.

Along with this implementation for armor rules, we introduce the following additional rules to augment it.

Armour proficiency (3 build for all classes): This skill may only be purchased once. With the purchase of this skill, the combatant is well versed in the ways of getting maximum protection from his armor. This person may now equip an armor tag worth 5 points above the category of armor they are wearing (must be capable of wearing that cat of armor to begin with). Armor may not exceed 30 points, but this skill will allow a fighter to wear Heavy armor for 25 points if they so choose (or cloth for 15 for that matter).

*This allows for people to take some added benefit from IG loot and skill. It also will encourage people to put more time/effort/money into the appearance of their armor since they’ll be able to gain some more benefit from that same type/suit down the road without having to upgrade/remake their armor after the first couple of levels of progress.

Remove Render, Improved Render, and Arcane Armor from the system and instead introduce the following ritual:

Augment Armor
General Aspect
Difficulty: Variable

The casting of this ritual upon a suit of armor will act to enhance that suit to a degree dependent on the level of the casting performed.

Level A: Difficulty 1, 3 reagents. Renders the armor indestructible, as per the Render ritual. Lasts for 1 year.

Level B: Difficulty 3, 4 reagents. Same as level A, plus increases the potential value of the suit of armor by one category. Thus, a suit of Light armor would have the potential armor value of a suit of Medium armor. If cast on plate armor, instead of increasing the value of the armor, each time the suit is refit (as per the “refit armor” rule allowed by blacksmithing) it will innately stop the first blow that lands on the wearer, as though a Magic Armor were cast upon the wearer. This stops the first legal weapon blow only, and cannot be used as a “smart defense” after the first hit. If the wearer also has a Magic Armor cast upon them already, then that is used first and the second blow would be stopped by the Enhanced Plate armor. Lasts for 1 year.

Level C: Difficulty 7, 6 reagents. Same as level B, but increases the value by 2 categories. If cast upon a suit of Heavy armor, then the suit gains the benefits as though it was a suit of Plate with Level B cast upon it. If cast upon Plate, then it gains the same innate Magic armor benefit as described in Level B, but stops the first 3 attacks instead of the first one. Lasts for 1 year.

Improved Augment Armor
General Aspect
Difficulty: Variable
This would be exactly like Augment armor, but the difficulty would be higher, reagent cost higher, and would last 5 years instead of one.

Greater Augment Armor
General aspect
Difficulty: 21
This would be exactly like Augment Armor Level C, but would be permanent and require a catalyst.

* This will discourage the practice of high-level chars ditching their armor in favor of Arcane Armor on their spirits/uber weapons and will keep people looking like their adventuring selves instead of a conclave of merchants in tunic and trousers but getting plate mail protection. The innate Magic Armor function of plate makes it so that plate wearers are cool, but prevents the problematic Threshold from forcing monster camp to send out monsters that are abusive to low level characters just to be able to affect the plate-wearers. It will not render Magic Armor the spell useless, since that is still far too handy for situational use against slays, eviscerates, and nasty carrier attacks (and the non-plate wearers will need em too).

Brainstorming in the shower, came up with an idea to bring it even more into line with making production/IG time and money count towards improving stuff. Incorporate into blacksmithing:

Custom Fit Armor: This is like Strengthening for a weapon, with same 5g cost and build requirement of 50pp, but instead it creates a suit of category-specific. person-specific armor with the same enhancement as Augment Armor level B. HOWEVER, the duration of the augmentation is per logistical period. As in, if I have Kauss craft me a suit of CFA on friday night, at saturday's logistics I have to find him or another blacksmith to Custom Refit my armor. What's this you ask? Well, this would have a production cost of 25 and 2g in order to "fully repair and restore" the CFA and to last until the next logistics period. If the upkeep is not paid, the armor cannot be used until you have the time and money to schedule a "refitting". I would shy away from making it entirely phys-rep specific because that would force players to potentially have to make/lug two sets of armor which is counter to one of the main points in trying to revamp the system in the first place.

Actually, I say leave Arcane Armor in the system, but revise it to be dependent on the number of formal levels of the person it's being cast ON for how good it is. Arcane would be a category onto itself that way which would let scholars go up to 30, but fighters get stuck with 10. You'd have scholars with Arcane and fighters with *real* armor that way, since min/max would have real armor being better for fighters, and arcane armor better for scholars.

You could directly apply your revision of wear extra that way, as well.

Which, of course, would be a nice little perk/buff to being a heavy formalist. Not to mention provide that cooler IG atmosphere of fighters wearing armor and scholars wearing nifty robes.

Otherwise, I like the proposal as a whole... I'll have to think on it longer to see if I can't find any holes in it.

True, but with the Augment Armor and Armor proficiency, said formalist can get 25 pts of armor simply by wearing a leather vest, bracers, hat, and boots. Practically the same protection, but it prevents such game antics as people running out into the night in nothing but boxer shorts and a sword to fight undead for prolonged periods at a time. That's a huge pro-argument right there from what I keep hearing :wink: . You may be right, there may be far too many people who will go down kicking and screaming rather than give up their arcane armor to get fundamental changes through, but can't blame a guy for trying!

Baby steps... The thought being that yes, people are NOT going to want to give up their AAs. In fact, you'd have to let them expire normally to keep people from griping. The permanent ones would have to be given the flaw that they can't be targetted by a Transfer just to make sure they expire at some point... >.>

Like I said, it would still heavily favor said individual NOT running around in their boxers in the middle of the night.

I'm down for the CFA, but the CFA Refit seems a bit expensive. I'm good with it having a refit production cost (and I guess the corresponding coin cost, to keep it consistent with the rest of the system) but I don't like it being 2 gold. It's much (much) cheaper to buy a load of suits, and even cheaper to render the damn thing (even with your 'render rit') then to pay 2 gold per logistics.
20 prod + 20 copper would keep the armorer in business non stop though, and would be something that a smith might want to have a handful of 'apprentices' around to do for him while he pumps out the full suits.

Well, I was looking at it as this is taking the place of a ritual, so 2g was about the going cost of one reagent, so it's like you're spellcrafting the refit of your armour. Maybe 1g would be more reasonable, but you don't wanna make it too cheap otherwise you kill the usefullness of the ritual (unless you think we should axe the ritual and just make it a production thing only to boost armour that way and leave in Render and AA for the ritual side of things).

Well, I kind of like Render since I tend to use it on my swords these days...

also keep in mind that AAs are also used by people who have ooc problems wearing the weight of armor. Be it back issues or whatnot. Capping AAs as lower than what a fighter can do, NP, however they should always be castable to a fairly decent level.

Yes the nude combat is a little unrealistic, but lets be honest, so are a lot of other things that happend then. Many nero things are a bit unrealistic, like the free resurections that every one gets, for example.

Kauss said:
also keep in mind that AAs are also used by people who have ooc problems wearing the weight of armor. Be it back issues or whatnot. Capping AAs as lower than what a fighter can do, NP, however they should always be castable to a fairly decent level.

Yes the nude combat is a little unrealistic, but lets be honest, so are a lot of other things that happend then. Many nero things are a bit unrealistic, like the free resurections that every one gets, for example.

That's kind of why I'm in favor of making it a reverse to physical armor, as people with physical impairments tend to play classes that see the front line less.

Yeah, I'm ok with making Render a little less useful and smiths a little more useful, actually. There are plenty of other good things to use a Render on. (Like my new wands. :D )

I see what you're saying, Phil, and I'm all for helping people play, but honestly if you are physically unable to wear quilted fabric, you shouldn't be in combat and need armor anyway. Val proved to us all that there are some amazing Rp'rs out there that don't need to be combat prepped to bring alot to the game, and for folks like that you can make exceptions, like having them have permanent No Armor exception that's used for extreme weather conditions. The only reason I was for the idea of getting rid of AA (assuming this idea or a similar one was implemented of course) is that logically, IG and OOG, if you could cast a ritual on your spirit that goes with you everywhere, can't be lost, doesn't go down in protective value, and weighs nothing, why wouldn't you use that instead of cool looking armor? Yes, I have AA on Solomon, but hey I used to wear armor and got talked IG into getting my first set of AA cast on me so I could use it on suicide missions! That's primarily why he still has one. My new fighter? Full armor, including 18 guage 3/4 face plate helm baby (along with the slut mail, which weighs less than the helm heheh) and he'll always wear armor cause it feels cool to wear it honestly.

Oh, and I really forgot to factor in the use of Render for weapons, wasn't thinking along those paths at the time. This is why I love input from mah pals.

It was meant to have the nine point location system as it was, that was why I put in 2/3 of the locations covered, just didn't feel the need to type that all out again for a rough draft/idea grabber posting.

Yes, but by requiring the 2/3 coverage you are eliminating the idea that someone can get a certain amount of armor simply by covering one spot.

You're right, Dave, had more in my head than I put on that post. My original thought was that if you had 1/3 of locations covered then you would get half you maximum value of the armor, rounded up. I figure if you have less than three slots covered, you're not really armored you're wearing cool bracers cause they look cool. Face it, a vest covers three locations, of any material grade.

I agree, throwing all that into one prop would be like trying to put a bill through congress with 50 partisan attatchments to it, just poured all my current thoughts onto the screen for people to ingest and throw around.

I had also thought about re-vamping the armor breech system with this, making it so an armor tag has a set value and then five breech tags assigned to that tag, and every time it breached and you reset it, it reset to full value but you lost a charge. Once all five were gone, the armor is irreparably breached and destroyed. Hadn't sat down to crunch the numbers/values that would go along with production costs and whatnot, but that would make the ongoing math of keeping track of how much damage you can take much easier (10 body plus 20 armor every time till its ten body and 0 armor is easier to keep track of mentally and logistically). If this sparks anyone's imagination and they wanna throw something up feel free, I'm gonna be busy till well after gametime tomorrow getting prepped and then enjoying it.

GO PATRIOTS GO!!!!

Sarah said:
Take out breaching on physical armor. *shrug*

This would be bloody awesome.

Back