Alternate armor prop

Avaran said:
Sarah said:
Take out breaching on physical armor. *shrug*

This would be bloody awesome.

Destroy and shatter should still make it break and, really, the reduction in value over time makes physical armor just not as worth it. So, *shrug*

Shatter wouldn't cause it's not a hand held item, and if ya make it so Destroy immediately reduces the armor to zero, then it's all good. Not sure what you meant by the reduction makes physical armor not worth it. Were you just reinforcing your earlier statement of getting rid of armor breaches? Otherwise I don't see what you're getting at there.

Avaran said:
Sarah said:
Take out breaching on physical armor. *shrug*

This would be bloody awesome.

^^ Quoted for emphasis.

I've been lucky when playing my fighter, but if I played often enough to need a new tag more than once a year, I'd go broke in ten seconds flat. Arcane is in every way, shape, and form better than physical armor, and cheaper than losing a 30 point suit every weekend you play over a year's worth of games. Phys-repped armor ads a lot to the atmosphere of the game, so I would think it would be something that we (as a rules system) would want to make worthwhile to the player. :)

30 point armor does cost a lot more than 20 point armor. I know in the time I was making armor I only made 2 suits of 30 point armor and since it was rare to find a smith who could make it, I could more or less ask my own price.

Yet with the current armor rules, one dragons breath and its on the way to trash. And that seems to be one of the reasons why some people dont even try to get 30 point armor. Upkeep and raw breakableness.

Even tho it might be hard on logistics, mayhap instead of removeing breaching, make it repairable.

As I put in there pickle barrel would need to be painted/laminated, covered with cloth or leather, something to hide the fact that it's plastic. I'd think you could be lenient in letting people work on it, like show up the first game unpainted but by third event would have to have it completed kind of thing.

Maxondaerth said:
As I put in there pickle barrel would need to be painted/laminated, covered with cloth or leather, something to hide the fact that it's plastic. I'd think you could be lenient in letting people work on it, like show up the first game unpainted but by third event would have to have it completed kind of thing.
Having pickle-barrel that is painted is clear. What about unpainted pickle-barrel?

Honestly, I'd put it under the 'anachronisms too great to be allowable' next to blue jeans and white tennis shoes if it's visibly HPDE plastic barrel. That stuff looks like utter crap if you don't at least put a coat of something over it, and would be as hard to keep suspension of disbelief around as the sequin-covered cloth someone tried to pass off ingame as 'elven chain' at Kazoo. At the very least, I'd suggest requiring it to be covered by an overshirt or closed-side tabard if not painted or covered.

Padraig said:
Honestly, I'd put it under the 'anachronisms too great to be allowable' next to blue jeans and white tennis shoes if it's visibly HPDE plastic barrel. That stuff looks like utter crap if you don't at least put a coat of something over it, and would be as hard to keep suspension of disbelief around as the sequin-covered cloth someone tried to pass off ingame as 'elven chain' at Kazoo. At the very least, I'd suggest requiring it to be covered by an overshirt or closed-side tabard if not painted or covered.
The pickle-barrel I've seen is matte black, so maybe we're thinking of something different. It doesn't scream "Hi, I'm plastic!" when I look at it. To me, it looks worlds better than many "suits" I've seen bandied about, and certainly more "realistic" than the boffers most use.

link of nice-looking, unpainted HDPE

jpariury said:
Padraig said:
The pickle-barrel I've seen is matte black, so maybe we're thinking of something different. It doesn't scream "Hi, I'm plastic!" when I look at it. To me, it looks worlds better than many "suits" I've seen bandied about, and certainly more "realistic" than the boffers most use.

link of nice-looking, unpainted HDPE

That is relatively nice looking armor. My armor is blue pickle barrel covered in leather.

In my vision of it, that stuff would be fine. Basically what you'd be looking for is "If five feet away or more in daylite it doesn't scream 'plastic' then it's passable, but we'd prefer it be painted or covered in cloth/leather". Trying to balance not making the game look like crap with allowing for people to work within their means. Frankly, while it is a lot lighter it's no more flexible or mobile than metal plate, and as those of us who have played know being mobile is key for packet fu combat, which is where tanks get smoked.

Yeah, most of the plastics I've seen were in the white or blue versions, both of which look like the user is wearing a trash can. Even the alchemy armory stuff is still visibly plastic by texture. At least to me, it looks more like something out of a retro science fiction movie rather than fantasy LARP wear. Their Japanese line is the closest to something really reasonable I'd see there, as the polished finish replicates laquered metal somewhat well. At least until the plastic gets scratched up in combat.

Back