An Exciting Adventure Awaits

Tolib

From John Walker (Tolib), and Jayden (Jake the Page), with an introduction to Diane (tbd).
///
Greetings all,
Jayden and I would like to thank all of you for our warm welcome at the May event.
We have been studying for our adventure in LARPing, the learning curve is steep, but oh so exciting!
It has been a lot of fun teasing out Jake the Page's character - a human, being mentored by Tolib, a Sulanari.
\\\
Diane (wife, mom) wants to become part of the group in a supportive capacity - maybe even helping out in the Tavern!
Jake is willing to help out as the Laundry Ogre, and Tolib is available to help as the Clean Up Yeti.
Helping out with set up and/or clean up will be easy for us, since we only live 20 minutes from Chelsea.
\\\
QUESTIONS:
~ Where is the best place to learn about the current state, and backstory of: SoMi?
~~ What is the best way to prepare for June 29th? ie... Should we be observes only? NPC'ers? Etc...
~~~ Our real life backstory related to LARPing - Diane has been a professional clown, Jayden is active in theater and enjoys improve, John is .... well old & unique >>> so we should fit in ok :)
~~~~ HOWEVER, we don't have previous LARPing experience, nor experience in board game RPG's .... So any tips and resources are VERY welcome. We have been reviewing Alliance forums, books, videos, and you tube channels about Larping.
Many Thanks !!
/\/\
Best to all,
Tolib, Jake the Page, & __?__
d.JPG

I just saw this!
And while I'm sure someone's responded privately, here's my response:

QUESTIONS:
~ Where is the best place to learn about the current state, and backstory of: SoMi?
There is a wealth of information available for you, either through going through past messages, reading the player's guide (found in the out of character section of this forum) or joining the Discord, which is a good deal more active than the forums. Also if you follow up with questions here, I'd at least be interested to answer them.

~~ What is the best way to prepare for June 29th? ie... Should we be observes only? NPC'ers? Etc...
Really, it's all about comfort level. One-days in my opinion are usually very goal-oriented, and as such can leave newer players feeling a bit ignored. It's really nothing personal, there's just so much to accomplish and so little time! SoMi does do a good job of making people feel included, though.

~~~ Our real life backstory related to LARPing - Diane has been a professional clown, Jayden is active in theater and enjoys improve, John is .... well old & unique >>> so we should fit in ok :)

You sound like our kind of weirdos. Welcome!

~~~~ HOWEVER, we don't have previous LARPing experience, nor experience in board game RPG's .... So any tips and resources are VERY welcome. We have been reviewing Alliance forums, books, videos, and you tube channels about Larping.
Many Thanks !!

OMG is there ever a list of cool things to watch (sorted for appropriateness:)

Whole family:
The Gamers, The Gamer's 2: Dorkness Rising, The Gamer's 3: Hands of Fate

Honestly, the first can be skipped. It's mostly about playing a Dungeons and Dragons game. It's really fun for avid players, and it introduces a couple archetypes of gaming styles you might see. The second is a much better budgeted movie that might as well be the start. On second thought, after refreshing my knowledge on the series, there's some raunchy humor involving a bard's...escapades. Really it comes down to you guys. Nothing that wasn't on "Married with Children."

Meh, your choice, but there's some adult humor stuff:
Role Models, Knights of Baddassdom

After reviewing my suggestions, I feel it important to note that while adventuring commonly includes other adult topics, it rarely includes as much sex and drugs as the movies make it seem. Felt it important to share.

-JT

JT,
Thank you so much. We have been having fun learning and are uber excited.
After I joined the discord, I have been getting a lot of help. (Funny though, I was hesitant to join because I thought "discord" was synonymous with discontent - a place to complain. Had no idea it was a gamers community ... Such a noob!!!)
When we meet please remind me who you are. Best - Da Walker Noobs

Back