Anti-LARP?

evi1r0n

Baron
I liked Role Models. I thought it wasn't a bad portrayal of LARP. I saw it before LARPing and I have to admit it played a factor in me joining Alliance. What can I say I am a movie geek. A few selling points for me were: LARP is a great way to get in shape, get outside, meet new people and for some get away from the family.
 

jpariury

Duke
Role Models is great in that it perfectly describes the idea that it's something fun to do if you just let go and enjoy it for what it is. Role Models is terrible in that it promotes the idea that the people in charge are jerks who take their game personas out-of-game to lord over other players or whiny victims, in game and in life.

Other than that, it's a good point of reference for people who are not already gamers.
 
jpariury said:
Role Models is great in that it perfectly describes the idea that it's something fun to do if you just let go and enjoy it for what it is. Role Models is terrible in that it promotes the idea that the people in charge are jerks who take their game personas out-of-game to lord over other players or whiny victims, in game and in life.

Other than that, it's a good point of reference for people who are not already gamers.
Art imitates life. And sadly, in so many organizations, that is how the people in charge do act. I've seen it in a lot of other places than larps. You can see it on any tv show in the tyrannical PTO leader, the insane little league coach, etc. etc. Plot = conflict. Showing a happy family of larpers would not make a good movie.

As just a movie though, Role Models is pretty funny.

"No, I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3."

Scott
 

markusdark

Knight
I've mentioned it before that the Technical Advisor on the movie, Adrianne Grady, is one of the co-founders of a group called the LARP Alliance whose mission is to spread the idea of LARPing to the general public. They got actual LARPers to play the game and the role of the bodyguard to the King was played by a LARPer/actor. She took great pains to try and portray LARPing as it actually is while still working within the confines of what the film wanted to do. One scene in the movie has the LARPing kid and his big brother playing around/practicing their swordfighting. That was an unscripted moment where the actors themselves were practicing.

I think that role models is actually a good portrayal of LARPing as seen by first timers. There is an amount of nerdiness in the beginning and by the end, you're rooting for your favorite people to win the war.
 

jpariury

Duke
I think the director commentary on the DVD was spot-on, when he talks about how they first looked at the whole thing like "what a bunch of weirdos" and after hanging around with people were like "this is kinda cool... I wanna play". Don't get me wrong, great movie as far as movies go. I just think the assorted takeaways can vary pretty wildly.

In terms of how would you best portray a larper in terms of film, I think a good sequence would be a three-shot: you start with someone playing a get-together game of baseball, zoom in to his eyes, do a quarter turn around still focused on his eyes, then pull back to reveal that an image of him in a big stadium during an MLB game. Cutaway to a girl practicing three-point shots, zoom in to her shoes and the line, then on a dribble, follow the ball to the hoop, where, as it drops through, you sound a buzzer and pull back to reveal a college ball game. Then, cutaway to a kid in costume hiding in some bushes, and a group of people in tabards escorting someone who looks tied up. Kid jumps out, slow-mo in midair, change the angle to follow his weapon striking the shield of one of the escorts, revealing a full-production costume and more "realistic" barbarians and such. Voiceover would be something like "We all like to pretend. Sometimes, life creeps in and the world seems insurmountable, so we all escape to a place where we can be kings and heroes. Sometimes... just sometimes... we get to bring that back to the real world with us. This is my story."

Heck if I know what the rest of the movie is about, but it seems like a decent shot at "normalizing" the idea of larping, at least from my keyboard. ;)
 

Unsure

Artisan
jpariury said:
In terms of how would you best portray a larper in terms of film, I think a good sequence would be a three-shot: you start with someone playing a get-together game of baseball, zoom in to his eyes, do a quarter turn around still focused on his eyes, then pull back to reveal that an image of him in a big stadium during an MLB game. Cutaway to a girl practicing three-point shots, zoom in to her shoes and the line, then on a dribble, follow the ball to the hoop, where, as it drops through, you sound a buzzer and pull back to reveal a college ball game. Then, cutaway to a kid in costume hiding in some bushes, and a group of people in tabards escorting someone who looks tied up. Kid jumps out, slow-mo in midair, change the angle to follow his weapon striking the shield of one of the escorts, revealing a full-production costume and more "realistic" barbarians and such. Voiceover would be something like "We all like to pretend. Sometimes, life creeps in and the world seems insurmountable, so we all escape to a place where we can be kings and heroes.
Great PSA idea even if there isn't enough for a movie.

B~>
 

Eviana

Newbie
I want to do a neat graphic design poster about LARPing because design firms love when you insert your personality into your portfolio - then again I want to get hired :(
 

Wraith

Newbie
Hey, I am sure your local owner would be interested in trading professional grade ad poster design for some.goblin stamps. :D
 

Eviana

Newbie
Wraith said:
Hey, I am sure your local owner would be interested in trading professional grade ad poster design for some.goblin stamps. :D
That is a great idea! I just googled "larp graphic design" in images - got nothing. I then googled "larp poster" and got only de-motivationals -_-
 
Eviana said:
Wraith said:
Hey, I am sure your local owner would be interested in trading professional grade ad poster design for some.goblin stamps. :D
That is a great idea! I just googled "larp graphic design" in images - got nothing. I then googled "larp poster" and got only de-motivationals -_-

Chicago would definetly offer goblin stamps.... We're also looking for a Publicity and Recruitment Director..
 

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
Aven said:
On a somewhat other note... how many of you have seen the movie, Role Models? I have slowly been introducing my LARPING self to my work colleagues. Most of them seem interested, a few look at me oddly, but a few of them asked me if what I did was like Role Models. Now I have not seen this movie, I probably should. But from the clips I saw it looked majorly dorky. It is annoying to have to defend against those stereotypes. It is one thing to have random joes who think we are odd and stupid. It is another thing to have colleagues and family think so. I am curious what questions you have gotten when you introduce someone to your LARPing hobby? How do they respond? Do they compare it to something?

Thanks,

Jessica
Jess, I actually use Role Models as an example. I do say that it we don't hit as hard as they do, and it isn't all fighting ( :( ). Most of the time I get a "oh cool".
 

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Gilwing said:
Jess, I actually use Role Models as an example. I do say that it we don't hit as hard as they do, and it isn't all fighting ( :( ). Most of the time I get a "oh cool".
I use Role Models as an example as well, but I am quick to point out that the similarity ends with the facts that we dress up and be in character. People think it's just a nation-oriented battle game like that, with little to no organization whatsoever and a lot of "You're dead!" "Nuh-uh!" "Yeah you are!" "No I'm not!". I personally think that, while using Role Models does get people to realize what we do (poorly, perhaps), Role Models is a stellar example of what the nation WANTS to think LARPing is: A bunch of disorganized losers running around hitting each other with sticks, NOT what it really is.
 

markusdark

Knight
The trouble is that there will never be any real good video coverage of a LARP. It would be like looking at the ewok battle scene in Return of the Jedi. Sure it is kinda cute and flashy and so on, but without knowing who the Ewoks are, who the stormtroopers represent and the whole goal of it, you will just think it is a bunch of guys flipping around in suits killing one another. The only way to fully understand it is to be immersed in it and that is nigh impossible to do with a video camera - not unless you script it which defeats the live part.
 

Wraith

Newbie
And you have to admit, our combat is objectively silly looking and sounds terrible.
 

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
As silly as it is, we're still not the bunch of basement dwelling losers that most folks views us as, a view egged on by representations like Role Models.
 
Depends who I am talking to but I try to inform every one I know a bout my hobby... if I am toking to some one a bit more estranged I normally try describing it as being Renaissance battle reenactment and raiding each others camp site at 3 am for fake gold... when describing the combat I normally say its like doge ball and freeze tag mixed together and as a healer my job is to tag you and un-freeze you....

Some people look at me odd but then again that could just be from the cat ears and the brightly colorful clothing?

When talking to gamers or nerd friends I have who might want to come play if they where just a bit geekier or got over the stereo-type i try to explain the fun by reminding them a bout games of pretend they would play as a child and suggesting all this is is dress up pretend for grown ups.... an other major saler is telling them there is only one rule book unlike d and d and its cheaper then the average d & d book... cost point always a good thing when marketing a new hobby to some one.

Handing out flayers at the local cons in full cos-play was fun, talking to random dorks and gamers at the all gamer con was even nicer, getting to say hay look try it you'll have a blast, and even if you don't no one will know~ was kind of nice to see all the diffract reactions and interest levels the general target group can have for are beloved pastime.

Been in that spot where they ask if what i do is like the movie 'Role Models".. found the best answer I can give is "yes and no". "yes that's kind of what we do are group is different and the makers of the movie went out or there way to make the hobby look as dorky as they could" , normally that explanation give them the right imprecation, however I have also met the kind of people who will pretend to be entreated chat for you for a long time than then when you go to give them the net link or any real time and date info a bout the upcoming events you get that o um... ill get it from you another time, dear in the head lights look of o i was just pretending to care... i hate that its a wast of time and effort... the said thing is even if you give out 100 flayers to 100 gamer dorks, who would not only be your spot on target adance, you would likely in this day and age because of the stereo-type get a 1 in 100 return rate....

I am hoping i get 10 players out of the 800-100 flayers I handed out at the con this last month...
 

markusdark

Knight
I disagree. Many of the people there looked fit, somewhat attractive (the king, bodyguard, new queen, etc.) and other than the characters with lines were more than likely actual LARPers from Los Angeles. We never saw anyone living in a basement.

In fact, looking at the group at the end and even during the battles, the people there looked like a cross section of any other LARP I attend. I feel that the Technical Advisor for the movie did a very good job at representing LARPing as a whole. I feel that the pics from the movie below look just as good, if not better than most of our events.




And truthfully, who hasn't seen this image at a local diner after an event?



The main issue I have found is that when the people I"d want to talk about LARPing are asked, they prefer not to discuss things as they don't want to be associated with the hobby (something I have witnessed multiple times with interviews).
 

evi1r0n

Baron
I agree. The only socially inept characters were the king and the kid. And the kid was well, a nerdy 9th grader. And we have all met "that guy" (the king) at some events.
 
Top