ARB: Alliance Rulebook Beta Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaerc

Artisan
Marshal
*delight and scholarly urges*

Page 66 under Immune to <Type> Weapons, makes reference to the Death effect and not the Doom effect.

For example, a life elemental that is affected by death weapon attacks would still be unaffected by a “10 Poison Death” ...

So reading the new rulebook, body points are defined as 10 + (points over 25) / (class based value). In the CMA, it seems to be 10 + (points) / (class based value). For example, a starting fighter in the CMA has 12 BP. The example in the rulebook only makes sense if point-over-25 is determining thresholds for gaining additional body. The way the CMA works is how I thought it worked in 1.3; but the rulebook wording and the specific example it includes seems different.

edit: Actually in 1.3, it was points over 15, so a starting fighter started at 12 body.

In the High Magic chart (page 148), some of the "prerequisites" have their last line cut off. For example, Formal Link, Formal Magic, Ritual Manipulation, and Storm Augmentation.

In the same chart, the italics for the prereqs for Channel Earth/Chaos should be the same as they are for Channel Foundation Element.

Pg 62 under <type> Block, it repeatedly uses Guard instead of Block.

This monster ability will stop the first applicable attack that would affect the creature. This is a “dumb defense” in that the monster cannot choose when to use it. Any attack that falls under the listed Effect, Delivery, or Qualifier will be stopped. For example, a “Poison Guard” would stop a “Poison Enfeeble” or a “30 Poison Paranoia,” while a “Paranoia Guard” would only stop the latter of the two. A “Spell Guard” would stop either a “20 Spell Flame” packet or a swing for “10 Spell Ice,” while a “Flame Guard” would only stop the Flame Bolt. It cannot be used as a defense against touch-casting. When used, the monster should call “ <type> Guard.”

• Dominate is referenced in the Sylvanborn description.
  • Create Potion lists the old identification time as the master benefit.
  • Resist Command mentions Terror
  • Resist Spell excludes potions, but potions use the Spell qualifier everywhere it's mentioned, and the player's guide explicitly says they use an implied Spell qualifier on page 76.
  • Effects Chart items with type N/A should probably just have a dash instead for clarity.
  • Prison mentions Vampire Charm
  • Slow's effect description lists it as level 2

Last edited:
The united blow skill does not have the changes for ranged strikes that were announced.

under special abilities, the section for "Guard" is mistaken tagged "Block"

A number of sections mention a "Death Countdown" as a specific term, but the section on being dead does not use this term and should.

The terms "Build Points", "experience points", and "XP" are used interchangeably. The correct term in the 2.0 Rules is "XP".
The terms "Components" and "Reagents" are both used in the description of Formal Magic to describe the same items.
"Goblin Stamps" are referred to as "Goblin Stamps" and "Goblin Points"
There's no reference to the Alliance LARP reward currency "Dragon Stamps"
The "single most important rule in this entire book" is listed on page 90 of the Rulebook.
The description of Level Caps does not reflect the rule agreed upon by the Owners.

@Feldor - The change was specifically made to the Monster Ability previously known as "Guard", because "Guard" became a general term for a defensive category. To avoid having two separate things with the same name, the Monster Ability known as "Guard" in 1.3 was renamed to "Block".

So you have a large number of defenses which are "Guard" abilities, meaning they stop something once. The Monster Ability "<Type> Block" is a Dumb Guard type defense that goes off on the first applicable thing to hit it.

"blocking" or "guarding" as a general verb are used here and there, it's true, but I would hope the capitalization/italicization of specific skill names and references would help lower confusion there.

-Bryan

The new Rule Book is available as a beta read. There will be some typos and other minor mistakes, and then the final version will be made available in a few months and will be available as a paperback as well.

The new Rule Book is split in two, with a Players Guide having the advice sections and other important information that you probably don't need to access as frequently as the Rule Book. There are rules and policies in the Players Guide that you have to know, though.

Both books laid out to be easier to read on mobile devices and computers.

You can help us. Point out any mistakes you find (use this thread).

We'll do the index after all the changes are made (in case some things end up moving to different pages).

Rule Book: https://alliancehq.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/rule-book-2.0-beta.pdf

Page 127, under the Doom effect: "This effect causes the spirit of any victim to flee its body; even creatures without a spriit will be struck dead."

I realize that they're kind of part of both the rules and a player's guide, but I'm slightly perturbed that the rules infractions are listed in the player guide and not also in the rulebook.

So far it looks good :).
A couple of things I noticed about bows.

"Bows are made of a curved phys rep, padded like a regular weapon. No string is attached. It is considered a Two Handed Weapon for attacking purposes; in other words, both hands and both arms must be free to utilize a bow. The grip of the bow must be in the bow’s center and the bow may only ever be utilized while holding the grip. A Bow phys rep is not required to have thrusting tips on its ends. However, as with all weapons, sufficient padding must be in place that the core of the weapon may not be felt and a marshal judges the weapon to be safe in combat. The bow phys rep can be used for blocking defense with one hand. If the archer has the Two Weapon skill and is using a short bow, then they may use it with a long weapon or with a one handed spear. A bow may not be used for melee attacks."

1) Can I no longer use a long bow and a short weapon with the Two Weapon skill?
2) The relevant rule for bow length being along the curve seemed to be this line from the old rulebook
"If you haven’t already done so, doublecheck the length requirements for everything you’ve built. Measure the weapon tip to tip, along its curve if it has one; it should be exactly as long as you wanted"
I do not see anything about weapon curves in the new rulebook, has that rule been removed, or should that be added back in?
2a) In general I think that it would be helpful to have an explanation of the following as separate subsections instead of in a paragraph;
Overall Length (definition)
Materials
Grip
size
placement
safety
Crossguards
Striking Surfaces
Non-Striking Surfaces
Thrusting Tips
ect

A few random notes as I skim through it:

The woman pictured next to the Selunari section doesn't actually have a large enough gem to rep a Selunari, or at least she doesn't appear to in the picture. She has one tiny gem and Selunari need a gem at least the size of a penny.

Style note - the racial makeup requirements are kinda spread out in different places in each racial description. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them spelled out explicitly at the beginning of each race section?

Page 28 refers to the skill "One Handed Edge" a couple times instead of One Handed Edged. Probably worth checking the rest of the book for repeats of that.

Page 28 again: "Fighting skills are not weapon sensitive for teaching purposes. A fighter with a Weapon Proficiency in One
Handed Edge can teach the skill Weapon Proficiency to a student who wants to use it in Archery."
I feel like this example is more confusing than clarifying. You never have a Weapon Proficiency "in" a weapon skill, you just have Weapon Proficiencies.

Page 96 describes how you can't avoid a Killing Blow with Game Abilities, says a KB bypasses all dumb defenses, but then says you can avoid it with a relevant Cloak? That's misleading because at least most sources of Cloaks would require Game Abilities. Isn't this redundant since the target has to be incapacitated in some manner anyway?

Pg 159: Contradicting statements of if I need just the high magic skill to read scrolls, or have put points into formal magic for that logi period to read the scrolls. Also can an Earth formalist read celestial rituals? It doesn't seem to cover it here.
Pg 161/166: Contradicting statements about if a ritual will start and/or backlash if not all correct components are gathered.

I am disappointed that a race with three makeup variation options had only one color photo showcased. 'Dark Elves have gray, dark blue, or purplish skin, white or silver hair, and pointed ears.' I would like to see the make-up variety in the description reflected in the book.

Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back