ARB: Alliance Rulebook Beta Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made mention of this during the playtest rounds, but in case it was forgotten: Trap Globes need to be Identified, but Create Trap doesn't have Educated listed as a prerequisite, nor does Create Trap allow you to Identify items (it only reduces the time needed). As is, we still have the very odd scenario where it's possible to have 20 ranks in Create Trap and not be able to Identify Trap Globes.

I made mention of this during the playtest rounds, but in case it was forgotten: Trap Globes need to be Identified, but Create Trap doesn't have Educated listed as a prerequisite, nor does Create Trap allow you to Identify items (it only reduces the time needed). As is, we still have the very odd scenario where it's possible to have 20 ranks in Create Trap and not be able to Identify Trap Globes.

The section on Trap Globes on page 175 explicitly allows anyone with a rank of Create Trap to identify them.

Then is the intent that 1 rank of Create Trap allows for both identification as well as reducing the time to 30 seconds, or is the intent that you need both Create Trap and Educated to get the time reduction?

ETA: Side note: If Create Trap allows for identification of Trap Globes, I think that information should be in the skill description, not the blurb on Trap Globes.

Mend Armor Spell (Celestial 2) Eldritch Force; Instant
This spell will instantly refit a specified amount of armor on the recipient as per the Blacksmithing refit ability. It will not take a suit of armor over its maximum allowed value under any circumstances.
Mend Armor will mend Armor Points from any source, including physical suits of armor, Natural Armor, and Arcane Armor.

In the ARB 2.12, it specifically denoted that this spell (and subsequent storm) could only refit physical armor. The First line of the spell seems to be a copy/paste from 2.12. But a contradiction seems to be added as the last line of the spell, saying that it can mend any of the three armor types.

The Refit ability doesn't specifically denote that it only applies to blacksmithing armor, and the Focus section describes both equally, The two spells work fine to be able to refit any armor and actually make the most sense to refit arcane. But the contradiction should be cleared up.

In the ARB 2.12, it specifically denoted that this spell (and subsequent storm) could only refit physical armor. The First line of the spell seems to be a copy/paste from 2.12. But a contradiction seems to be added as the last line of the spell, saying that it can mend any of the three armor types.

The Refit ability doesn't specifically denote that it only applies to blacksmithing armor, and the Focus section describes both equally, The two spells work fine to be able to refit any armor and actually make the most sense to refit arcane. But the contradiction should be cleared up.

It should refit all sources of armor. I was there when we voted on it, that was the intent.

More of a question about Elemental Augmentation, but putting it here in case this was unintentional: In light of both Magic and Storm Augmentation no longer having to be tied to a specific spell, is Elemental Augmentation intended to follow suit? Currently, it says it must be tied to a spell when chosen.
ARB 2.0 Beta Page 149 said:
Each time this ability is selected, the caster chooses one of their battle magic spells from the Evocation Effect Group that has already been memorized for that Logistics period.

ETA: The ARB is also missing any definition of Signature Spells; the closest it gets is examples in the skills section, and a line in the Evocation Bolt description that it's the Signature Spell for Celestial. Nowhere that I could find does it say that Cure Wounds/Cause Wounds are the Signature Spells for Earth.

Last edited:
On page 148, the short hand description for Powerful Meditation doesn't mention that it can also be used to meditate back missed Martial or Stealth skills.

I noticed today the section under Biata racial description -

"Another role-playing perk is that Biata don’t get drunk off of alcohol. They do have a weakness though—
believe it or not, fudge. It acts as both an intoxicant and/or an aphrodisiac depending on how you want to play it.
Remember that Intoxicant elixirs will work on everyone, no matter what their race.
"

It isn't a true error, but I was thinking perhaps with the removal of the love effects and the strange RP they were known to cause it might be a decent idea to remove the language about aphrodisiac. There are a few different reason I can think of for this including a family friendlier game, unwanted RP interactions, and it being one of the only references I think our book has to that sort of behavior currently (might be wrong on that). Additionally, I think it would be more fun to change it to some other descriptive text. :)

Just my 2 cents!

The wording for the Powerful Meditation High Magic ability should clarify that it must be purchased BEFORE the spell or skill that hits a defense is used; currently, this limitation is not in the description, and nothing in the description indicates it cannot be purchased and used after the fact.

ETA: This change has been confirmed to be part of the first batch of edits to the ARB, disregard.

Last edited:
page 147 Channel Foundation Element "Characters must possess levels in celestial Formal Magic to use this ability.." " I assume this should be "celestial High Magic"

Last edited:
page 147 Channel Foundation Element "Characters must possess levels in celestial Formal Magic to use this ability.." " I assume this should be "celestial Formal Magic"

Did you mean celestial High Magic?

Yes, that what I get for trying to do it quick and copy and paste.

Last edited:
Suggestion for making the rules easier for new players:
On Page 27, when discussing Experience Points: The table will be the part of that page that is most used by players. The table uses the term "Blanket" but that word is only defined in a parenthetical in the middle of a paragraph. Since the table treats "Blanket" as an official term, I think it should be handled that way. Give an official definition of Blanket clearly OR use "Logistics Period (a.k.a. Blanket)".

On page 57, in the example for Riposting Blow, the character is named Rendal at first, but changes to Torel in the last sentence.

On page 53, there is a typo in the Mettle descriptipon:
Line of Sight effects are negated completely by defending against them this ability.

I think you just need to remove the bolded words.

Quick note: Kudos on the Effects Chart (pages 105-106). Really useful!

Not sure if this one was caught yet or if its a true error. Foresight (under ritual manipulation) doesn't have a necessary level of formal magic above the difficulty of the ritual indicated. This may not be an error as it previously did not require any to my knowledge but regardless it comes after Casters Mark under ritual manipulations, breaking the pattern of manipulations ascending by difficulty. Either way it is worth noting.

I know Refitting Armor has come up a lot, and I had an idea that would address both clarity and book formatting. Currently in the Beta book, Refitting armor can be found in fragments in at least 3 different sections. In order to completely understand the rule, you need to read all of its different parts to get a complete picture. Which can be problematic for some players who are new and have no reason to look at say the Mend Armor Spell, or Arcane Armor - when they are playing a level 4 fighter with blacksmith x2.

instead, all of those sections can be condensed into a single section in the system section of the book.

example:

Production: Blacksmithing: {stuff} Having a single Rank in this production skill allows you to refit Armor, be it your own or someone elses. Refer to page: XX for the rules for Refiting.

Spells: Mend Armor (and subsequent Mend Armor Storm) {Stuff} This spell can be used to repair Armor without the need to refit that armor. The following Armor Types may be effected with this spell: Natural Armor, Physical Armor, Arcane Armor. This spell Repairs armor instantly with magic, it does not "refit" armor as defined by the rules of refitting on page: XX.

Arcane Armor - {Stuff} Arcane armor similar to that of Physical armor, but you are able to do so with only your own concentration and do not require a blacksmith. Refitting arcane armor however still follows the Refiting rules outlined on page XX.

Natural Armor {Stuff} - 4th verse same as the rest. Its cool and can be refit, refer to page XX.

While it is nice and convenient to be able to go "Ima blacksmith I wanna know all the stuff I can do with blacksmithing - in the blacksmith section." It then leads to that same mentality being repeated several times over again. Which ultimately leads to rules being fragmented on accident (as different people write different sections of the book), each section is not equally clear (for the same reason). However also increases general word and page count, because you have taken a single rule and repeated it 4 different times. Instead, it is more precise, clear, and uses overall "less book space" to have all of those sections refer to a single section for the needed rules.

So it looks like the Claw description in 2.0 beta rulebook was copied from the old document. The text says you need Two Weapon or Style Master to use two claws, but with the change to Florentine being able to use 2 short weapons at once, 2 claws (which cannot be longer than a short weapon) should be able to be wielded together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back