Are my weapons and armor LARP safe and ready ?

Bexel

All my swords are PVC core with foam outer layer. The daggers are foam, but I don't know what the core is made out of. The core in the daggers don't bend at all, but are amazon marketed as larp safe.

The breastplate has pauldrons, but they have sharp edges, and feel clumsy and awkward to wear. So, the pauldrons are getting the axe. I do have diamond files for filing down any edges on the armor that aren't LARP safe.

Attachments

• LARP gear 1.jpg
    LARP gear 1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 43
  • LARP gear 2.jpg
    LARP gear 2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 44
  • LARP gear 3.jpg
    LARP gear 3.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 41
I found out for Generations 2 LARP weapons, you need to not be able to feel the core through the foam. On the daggers, you cannot feel the core, but on the master sword and excalibur, they're too firm to feel the core, but are really firm in the middle. I have time to get new swords, but, for now, I just need the daggers since my build is: Extra Armor (I don't know if my armor qualifies under extra armor), reading and writing, small weapons, and florentine for my level 1 character.

I would recommend getting one level of blacksmithing as well because it really helps to be able to refit your own armor during battle and not having to track down our master blacksmith to have him do it in the same amount of time you could refit yourself in with one level of blacksmith.

I bought two daggers that were only 18" long, but I read in the rulebook that they had to be 20". Is that a solid rule, or would they let me get away with 18" ?

So, my new skill set is Blacksmithing (3bp), Extra Armor (1bp), One handed Edge (7bp), Shield (10bp), and Reading and Writing (3bp)

So, to go inst things in order:

I always recommend reaching out to the weapon marshals in the chapter you're looking to play at, as they will be the final arbiters of whether something is safe. That said:
PVC or other non-flexible cores are generally fine if they are properly foam covered.
Thank you for filling down any rough armor edges.
I'd have to feel the weapons in question to determine be sure of their safety, but they look okay. It really does matter how they feel though.
The boots are fine, and if you want to go the extra mile you can add leather gaiters.
Weapon length is not negotiable. The minimum length is due to the nature of Alliance fighting meaning shorter daggers resulted in too many situations where combatants feel they cannot prevent physical person to person contact. Which is why the short weapon min length increased a couple of years ago.
For a new fighter that's a solid build. Reach out to your local plot and logistics team and they will be able to help with integrating you into their local story and with getting you into the database.

27.75 means it’ll pass as a dagger, which is within the Small Weapon measurements (20” to 28”).

Regarding whether or not you’ll need Wear Extra Armor might significantly be affected by whether you’re playing in a 2.0 playtest or not. Have you contacted your chapter and discussed your character ideas with them?

You can reach out to the SoMN staff below for all questions you may have and Crystal, Chris or Ryan will be able to help.

SoMNalliance@gmail.com

If you want a custom weapon made, check out www.coloradofoamforge.com. All of my weapons are from there. He's expensive but does very nice custom work.

If you want a custom weapon made, check out www.coloradofoamforge.com. All of my weapons are from there. He's expensive but does very nice custom work.

Wow, I love his bus door shield. That's brilliant both in concept and execution.

~~~~~

Back on topic to the thread, if the pauldrons are something you don't want to ax, take a look at how they are strapped. Its likely they feel awkward because they aren't fitting correctly. And sometimes that can be fixed by adjusting how they are strapped. Mine have a strap near the lower end that goes under my upper arm; and then have two straps coming out of the top shoulder piece. Those connect to a strap that goes from the top of my breastplate over my shoulders to the backplate. But I found it took me a bunch of fiddling to find the right length and placement of the straps off the top of pauldrons to the over-shoulder strap. And when it was wrong, they were super awkward, but once I got it set right it wasn't more awkward than wearing a coat.

Also I'd like to +1 MaxIrons reply to you above. Fundamentally, if a weapon is judged safe and allowed is at the discretion of the weapons marshal. So even two weapons from the same company might not both pass - they need to evaluate it. With that said, if your weapon doesn't pass, the alliance community is pretty good about finding loaner weapons for new players. So you'll still be able to play. As a more tactical bit, as a shield fighter, I've found I like having a near max-length weapon that I use by default, and then a slightly shorter (and much faster) weapon that I use if I know I'll be fighting 1-on-1.

Initially I was going for spellsword/templar, but if heals are less in need I would go fighter.

What kind of reagents are necessary for Cure Light Wounds? I could only see that it had 3 mediums for casting.

Also, would spells help me survive in a team better? Or, should I focus on frontline defensive abilities to survive in a team ? Would my last four points of a fighter build use Parry?

Blacksmithing (3bp), Extra Armor (1bp), One handed Edge (5bp), Shield (6bp), Reading and Writing (6bp). Leaving me with four points leftover in my fighter build.

Whereas, with Templar/Spellsword, I would be doing :
Blacksmithing (3bp), One Handed Edged (7bp), Shield (10bp), and Reading and Writing (3bp)
Leaving me with 2build points leftover.

I like the idea of being a paladin-like, front line healer. But, I like the idea of surviving better.

What should I do ?

You cant get a parry until you have bought weapon proficiency twice. Certain skills have pre-requisites listed next to them in the skill table in the rule book.

Honestly most people just save up to buy the proficiency but it is up to you I haven't gone into to many fights where i left feeling like man if i could do just one more damage for this encounter/ 10 min that would be really useful.

What kind of reagents are necessary for Cure Light Wounds? I could only see that it had 3 mediums for casting.

No reagents are required for battle magic spells. If you want to make a potion, scroll, or other consumable that costs some coin. If you're just casting them normally, all you need is to put the right spell slots on your character sheet and make sure you get the spell in your spell book. And have some packets to throw.

Also, don't stress your first game build decisions a lot. The early levels come really fast. Also worth noting, we allow fluid class changes. What this means is even if you want to end up Templar/Spellsword, you can start as fighter and swap after you have enough build that changing makes sense.

On to that decision, I'd suggest playing a game or two and seeing what you feel like you want to do after seeing how it plays. Personally I play a very spell oriented Templar, because I enjoy healing & buffing; and really enjoy saving someone who is down in the heat of battle. I may only swing for 2 damage but I'm reliably part of the front line, and view my job as protecting the folks with Bows & Spells & 2-H weapons so they can dish out the damage. One of the guys I'm often beside is a pure fighter who fights with sword & shield, and hits quite hard. Both are fun play styles, so its really what you'd enjoy more. And if you were starting a new character going towards either of those builds, you'd probably buy exactly what you've chosen to buy.

You could also try NPC'ing for an event or two before playing. It'll let you see how combat feels if haven't done much boffer combat, and it'll get you a chunk of extra build for your character. Definitely not required, but I know some folks have found it useful and fun.

Back