Armor stuffage questions

Balryn said:
That's funny Bryan. Yeah... having tested several suits of chain... I wouldn't take any of it against a bow. It punches right through both sides every time.

All I have to say about that is... http://www.arador.com/discforums/index.php?showtopic=2272

The whole thread is quite entertaining (and enlightening).

That said, if you want to continue this conversation we should move off the Rules Forum as it's not really the place for this :)

-Bryan

Balryn said:
Well the plastic I'm looking at using is bullet resistant, so it's durable... but the current book uses very bad wording and doesn't think of the things you can build armor from such as alloys, ceramics, wood, stone, bone, and a variety of other things that work far better.

I was going to look at remaking my samurai armor, however the period materials for most suits are leather or very thin steel- which doesn't get points according to the book.

The book is also flawed on it's description of chain and size, as it doesn't take into account the weave, pattern, type of link, whether it is pinched together, forged whole, welded shut, or pinned. It also doesn't take into account the actual size of the linkage assembly, only the guage of wire.

Hell... I had a teflon coated titanium weave chainmail undershirt that would stop a 45, a hatchet, a pike, or any other monstrosity you could throw at it as long as you put a gambison for padding beneath it. Give me a suit of that stuff and I'd go head to head with a real horde of zombies.

NERO fails very badly at armor "looking real" vs "what it does" on the armor point scale. So I was just looking for some clarification from Seattle staff.

I spent two years in high school designing plate armor for a professional forger... But as Bryan pointed out... they snuck in that evil little wording saying "the marshal may determine what qualifies as..." and I didn't know if there was any precedence for it in chapter or not.

~B

Oh, Anti-Balistics platics I have less problems with. I'm just worried about yahoos coming in with plastic breastplates they picked up at Toys-R-Us.

*snorts and guffaws*

Or dirt bike armor that they repainted to look less dirt-bike like?

Yeah... just think of it this way- most of the armor in LOTR was designed from epoxy or latex. Few pieces were leather or metal.

I would love to see some modifications to the armor rules or at least the armor phys rep section because I think it's safer. I like Bryan's armor as Gurv, but it's hella bulky and if Bryan was one of those charging type players- him bowling into another PC could really hurt them (lucky for us he isn't...:) ) I could only imagine someone like Steve Sheridan wearing a similar suit and literally killing me as he rolls over me (hell, without the armor he almost killed me one time).

I've seen a few pieces of plate that just didn't work well... I even remember Mara almost killing herself with a throat shot when her breastplate moved up.
And as someone else said.... it's not like we are protecting against real swords (if I was, I'd use my bullet proof chain shirt and some spiderweave coveralls).

Perhaps in the next edition after this release they'll look a little closer at some of the new options available for making LARP armor. (same holds true for latex weapons and similiar stuff)

While I agree that the armor rules may merit some examination in the future, I need to enforce the rules as they are now. The current rules are geared towards basing armor value off of weight and encumberance, not strength and durability. As such, any ruling regarding alternate metals will be made with that in mind.

-Dan

Hmmm

Balryn said:
Yeah... just think of it this way- most of the armor in LOTR was designed from epoxy or latex. Few pieces were leather or metal.

Compare the time lengths. Nero a week at the most. LOTR 3 months 6 days a week for helms deep alone. Plus many of them were wearing heavy prothetics in addition to the armour.

The way I see it is the more that you can make real in Nero the better the event can be. This does not stop with armour.

The one exception to this that I see is is someone is to weak to lift real armour and therefore would need to use plastic. "Be all you can't be" is the saying.

Rossic

Rossic said:
Compare the time lengths. Nero a week at the most. LOTR 3 months 6 days a week for helms deep alone. Plus many of them were wearing heavy prothetics in addition to the armour.

The way I see it is the more that you can make real in Nero the better the event can be. This does not stop with armour.

The one exception to this that I see is is someone is to weak to lift real armour and therefore would need to use plastic. "Be all you can't be" is the saying.

Rossic
The time length has nothing to do with it really for me. The safety thing has a huge part however, as real armor (anything beside leather) is dangerous to both the wearer and those who fight them. This can be from collisions, wearing the wrong thing in the wrong weather, ripping weapons up, and from limiting mobility.

There is nothing real about the armor rules in NERO, there are just too many variables that have been compressed into the 1-3 point range.

I know all about making it real, I used to wear full battleplate for SCA weapon demonstrations and oriental plate for my Kung-Fu weapons group. I've never seen any suit of 30 point armor coming close to real life functionality.

What people are going for in NERO is visual appeal and the points the get for it in the book, the closest I've seen to real armor is a chain shirt or some plate pieces.

~B

Back