Armor?!?!?

I know you often hear that when looking for armor you either pay in money or in time. This is clearly seen in chain mail. I just made a vest that took me about a week of constant effort but only cost about twenty bucks. If you're interested in making chain mail, I highly reccomend it. The rings are easy to make (but a bugger to cut) and it's easy enough to put together. For a more detailed look, try youtube "How I make chain mail part 1". It's how I made mine.

I used 14 gauge electric fence wire. It's not too heavy and holds it's shape well. The stuff I used came from a steel company so I'm thinking the wire is steel but I'm not entirely sure. I'll definitely be wearing it to the event.

Fynwei said:
The reason Dave's armor is insta-rez is cause it's almost impossible to move faster than a very slow jog in it.

Heh. I've outrun people half my size in a suit that weighs more. Josh is faster than I am, even. (Curse you broken ankles.)

Also, that 14ga wire is likely galvanized steel if it's intended for electric fence. Doing butted chain out of it will work, but there are some drawbacks to consider. You're going to lose rings, and snag the ends on your clothing unless you take time to file down burrs left from cutting them. The last gear I made of the same style shed a few a year, and it was worn for rennfaires, not combat. Also, unless you're taking exceptional liberties with the design, 14 ga chain is going to be heavier and much harder to move in than plate that will satisfy the three point requirements just as well.

That said, chain looks and sounds awesome, and really helps the immersion factor.

The thing is, even if you use thick enough wire, you have to make the rings small enough and tight enough together the qualify for 3pts per location. But that said yea heavy chain can be awesome.

I'm thinking of purchasing some Leather bracers and greaves and I was wondering if anyone had a vendor that worked well for them. Or if anyone in the chapter does that sort of work who I could talk to about getting some?

I know I've asked this before... but does your brass chain armor get 3 pts per location Ryan? If so I need to have a look at that at the next 1 day...

CaptainYork said:
I'm thinking of purchasing some Leather bracers and greaves and I was wondering if anyone had a vendor that worked well for them. Or if anyone in the chapter does that sort of work who I could talk to about getting some?

I would try e-bay.

well from my experience museum replicas limited worked pretty good for me ,i got most of my armor there, i also have a current catalog of theirs.

david raatz

I've seen several folks espousing the goods from Ravenswood and Eeldrytch in the past, so you might try them. Otherwise, bracers are a really good starter project if you've any desire to learn leatherworking, as all you'll really need are some good size chunks from the scrap bin at your local Tandy, a carpet knife, and a punch. :mrgreen:

I am looking to offload my leather armor (chest, arms/shoulders, legs). I no longer wear the leather chest piece and the others I have never worn as they were slightly too big/tall for me. If anyone is interested in spending some holiday cash I am willing to let everything go fairly cheap. These are the pieces that I normally lend out to people anyways, and would look better in someone else's armor tote :)

Let me know if you are interested and I will bring it to the next fight practice.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com - Leather on the cheap. Check out their scrap leather and clearance sections. This site is updated often so if you don't see that black piece of leather you are looking for check back again later in the week. If you do see it buy it. Otherwise it'll be sold before the end of the week. A 10lb box of leather scraps is $50. Cut em all down to "scales" or "plates" and stitch em together Roman or Japanese style.

ebay.com is also really good for leather and fabric and garb on the cheap. You can normally find chainmail on the cheap too. There is always some SCA guy or the like selling older gear or stuff they are "learning" on. Give it a shot.

--Chazz

What do you use to stud heavy cloth armor?

We typically use #6 zinc washers and speed rivets, found at your local Tandy Leather Factory. Provided the rivets are close enough, 1 inch or closer (I recomend a diamond pattern), it should count as 2 points per location covered. All other armor rules apply

Speed rivets are the bee's knees. With the right tools (anvil, tack hammer, rivet set, and sewing awl), you can drop them in at a fairly astounding rate.

Back