As a new player and NPC, what can I expect???

Dangles

So the opener is barely two weeks away and to be honest, my head is about ready to explode with the countless thoughts of what my very first LARP experience will be.

Just a few of the many, many things that are bouncing around in my skull.....

- When I get there, where do I go, where do I park, who do I talk to?

- What kind of character will I be playing? What will be my costume/make-up? What kind of weapon(s) will I wield?

- How long does the first evening's game go on for? Sleep??? Where, when?

- How many PCs and NPCs will be there?

- Food. Where do I get nourishment and how much will it cost?

- What if I need to use the bathroom, make a phone call, or have a cigarette (yes...I smoke, I am ashamed to say)?

- What happens if I forget what to do, forget the count on the hit points during a fight, forget what I "need" to do?

- Can I carry a backpack or hydration pack?

- How many questions will it take before someone goes, "STFU NOOB!"

I'm sure the whole experience is kept under wraps and the surprise of discovering the whole thing for myself is part of the fun. Still, I was hoping that maybe someone can give me a sort of "preview".

-when you get there you'll see other cars parked, because the house isn't far down the driveway. just don't park in front of the port-a-pottys! NPC camp is in the garage, and you'll see tables set up and PCs in line to check in. ask, and someone will point you to the side door.

-as an NPC, anything is possible. goblin, zombie, dark elf, human, dryad... be prepared to change makeup over and over. NPC camp has a great supply of costumes and makeup for you to use. most of the makeup is water-based stage makeup, but ifyou have uber-sensative skin i'd suggest bringing something less harsh than the alcohol-containing babywipes we have on hand. NPC camp has every kind of alliance weapon (i assume that they've added in the new classes of bows) available to you. some people do bring thier own NPC weapons though, so go for what's in the barrels.

-sleep? what, praytell, is sleep? kidding. i'd bring a tent and sleeping bag, because this site is pretty rustic. we can run til 5 am, but sleep when you need to, injuries happen when people get sleep-deprived.

-usually there are between 30 and 60 people at a given east coast event. CT and NH have pretty high attendance numbers, but you never know the final count until everyone's there.

-there is an onsite tavern that serves breakfast and dinner, and there's also a pretty good diner in town (near the lumberyard and the motel). tavern food is included in the $5 you pay for membership, and we encourage food donations to NPC camp in the form of bottled water/gatorade, and any sort of snack stuff.

-there are porta-pottys, and out-of-game areas (in the parking lot) where you can smoke and use your phone. although many of us use game as an excuse to turn off the phone for the weekend.

-as an NPC, when in doubt about how much you've been hit, fall over dead. chances are you're playing several lives as the same monster. and if you get hit by a spell and don't know what it does, you just have to ask! usually the caster will be near you, or another NPC.

-you'll fall down. a LOT. it might damage a hydration pack. you'll never be out for so long that you'll dehydrate, and there's always water and such in camp, but it's up to you.

-depends on the person ;). everyone in Deadlands is pretty damn cool, though. ask, and we will do the best to answer your questions.

-The driveway ends in a parking lot. Ask for Me Ray or Gary when you get out of your car
-Npcs play all of the people of the town the monsters etc.
-game goes til "late". Tent or tavern floor if there is space.
-porta potties, parkinglot, smoking area
- I will cover what to do in any of those cases in new player training
-seriously better to leave that sort of hydration in NPC camp and hydrate between roles.
-no one will ever say that. They will roll their eyes eventually and make some cryptic-monty-python-quote, which usually noone gets so no worries there either.
-Nh has no membership fees anymore*.

*it is just included in the pc cost** for playing.
**still the lowest in the Alliance

I remember Gary saying something about getting rid of membership fees, sweet to know you guys did :)

...I can't wait for game to start. I also realized the other day that I'm so pale I may not need to put on white makeup to play an undead...

Cool cool. Thanks, guys.

Reason I asked about the Kamelbak is because I usually wear one when I play Airsoft. The reasons for this is because during a standard Airsoft Operation/Simulation, I am usually in the field for anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, in full BDUs, about 40-60 lbs of gear, and constantly humping through terrain that can be anywhere from flat wooded areas, swamps, thick brush, hills, ravines and cities, and of course engaging in combat. It makes for a very strenuous and physically demanding day and hence why I carry 3-liters of water on me in a combat hydration pack. Since I have never LARPed before, I am not sure at the level of physical strain that I will be facing. Therefore, if it's at a level that I will be needing water constantly (I drink a lot since I don't want to risk dehydration, plus I get winded easily -- damn cigarettes!) I would think that having a Kamelbak would better suit me since it would prevent me from having to break from character every 15 minutes in order to get hydrated. I don't know, hence why I ask. Maybe it won't be as physically demanding and I understanding how it can take away from the realism of the world (which is another reason for my need of a cloak). But I just want to be prepared.

As for the kamelback. As an NPC, you will not need it, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to drink water every minute. Usually new player NPC roles are only out for 1/2 - 1 hour depending. Plus our site isn't that big, so if you have a dehydration issue you can quickly grab some water between lives. Seriously, you will not need it until maybe the summer events when it's crazy hot.

I would say typically you will find that you go out probably for 15-20 minutes at a time, depending on the role and then when you come back to NPC camp, there is tons of water and snacks for you.

No worries, and I wouldn't bother bringing it.

However, when I PC the summer events sometimes I wear one under my costuming as well, so I do understand.

What you should definitly bring is VERY WARM CLOTHES!!!! Pack what you think you would need and then double it. You can always leave extra layers and stuff in your car if you over pack, but it gets crazy cold at nights especially at the April and May events. Lots of blankets, socks and layers. Bring a tent and warm sleeping bag. We don't allow open flames and there isn't really any access to outlets for small heaters, so plan accordingly. Layers, layers, layers.

~Jaimi

Sunnfire said:
I'm going to wear nothing but a silver leotard.

Okay, this is actually an awesome segue to my next question....

Can I take pictures or is that left to a designated event photographer?

My 10 year old daughter has really taken an interest in her Daddy's new endeavor (she calls herself "Micah The Dark Elf") and I told her I would bring back some pics. Truth be told, she really wants to NPC but I told her about the age restriction.

Dangles said:
Sunnfire said:
I'm going to wear nothing but a silver leotard.

Okay, this is actually an awesome segue to my next question....

Can I take pictures or is that left to a designated event photographer?

My 10 year old daughter has really taken an interest in her Daddy's new endeavor (she calls herself "Micah The Dark Elf") and I told her I would bring back some pics. Truth be told, she really wants to NPC but I told her about the age restriction.

yeah you can take pictures, i do, infact check out some from last year on my face book page
my oog name is rachel durfee. i live in st.albans vermont
and when i mean some, i mean 318. from just the november event.

[quote="syra pefferfoot]

yeah you can take pictures, i do, infact check out some from last year on my face book page
my oog name is rachel durfee. i live in st.albans vermont
and when i mean some, i mean 318. from just the november event.[/quote]

Cool. This gives me the excuse to get on my Facebook after 6 months of neglect. ;)

Jesse, if you are going to wear nothing but a silver leotard, Kainen is not allowed to shed his skin.

Unless you have a silver speedo on underneath.

Dangles said:

hey Dangles, it may be a bit of a drive depending on where you live, but HQ runs a kids event now and then. There is a thread on the HQ board about it here:

http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3124

If your daughter is really interested im pretty sure these events would be well suited for her. I don't know all the details but it may be worth looking into.
:)

Jevedor said:
Dangles said:

hey Dangles, it may be a bit of a drive depending on where you live, but HQ runs a kids event now and then. There is a thread on the HQ board about it here:

http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3124

If your daughter is really interested im pretty sure these events would be well suited for her. I don't know all the details but it may be worth looking into.
:)

Sweet. Thanks, man. Yeah, she's working on her sword skills right now...thanks to these hard hitting N-force Nerf swords we got. And she has a knack for acting and a weird obsession with elves...particularly the Dark ones. :lol:

sounds like shes got some potential :)

Jevedor said:
sounds like shes got some potential :)

Yeah she does. Last night, I got home from work around 7pm and she wanted to LARP. I told her, Daddy's a little tired, why don't we inside and just play Rockband 2. She grabs her sword and goes, "I GUESS YOU SHORTY LEGGED STUNTIES ARE AFRAID TO CHALLENGE MICAH THE DARK ELF IN A TRUE TEST OF SKILL!"

Needless to say, it was on!

BTW, does anyone have a tent I can borrow for the opener? thanks.

Ahh.. if only I had not take a vow against the wearing of speedos unless competing in an Olympic swimming event..

DAMN YOU SALAZAR!

so what you are saying is..... larping needs to become and Olympic event....

Does anyone have a spare tent I could borrow for the opener?

Also, I am scheduled to work until 6:30 on the 17th and it is a 2 hour drive for me. I will do my best to get out earlier so that I can be there no later than 8pm. However if I do arrive there much later, will it be a problem?

thanks.

Back