[Balance] What is the best class in the current [1.3] Rules?

Which class is the strongest mechanically?

• Total voters
Scouts also follow this vein to a lesser degree when they purchase alchemy 3 on top of all their fighter and rogue toys. Again I can't say that I've ever played it but I do want to at some point since I currently use very few toys on my fighter. The idea of chaining large amounts of disarms, shatters, and stun limbs sounds fun to me.

I can't recommend playing an alchemy scout. It's what I'm built for at the moment on my main, and it really isn't effective unless you have a source of bulk cheap alchemy -and- enough teammates that you can get into every treasure split for the weekend to keep coin reserves up. MIs are vastly more efficient uses of gold than alchemy at present, and more effective to boot given the number of creatures running around on a given weekend who are flat out immune. Archery + vorpals was the only really effective thing I found, and even that just plain costs too much for the number of shots it takes to down things compared to a one-two spell takeout.

I can't recommend playing an alchemy scout. It's what I'm built for at the moment on my main, and it really isn't effective unless you have a source of bulk cheap alchemy -and- enough teammates that you can get into every treasure split for the weekend to keep coin reserves up. MIs are vastly more efficient uses of gold than alchemy at present, and more effective to boot given the number of creatures running around on a given weekend who are flat out immune. Archery + vorpals was the only really effective thing I found, and even that just plain costs too much for the number of shots it takes to down things compared to a one-two spell takeout.

You are absolutely right in that alchemy is way expensive and you're also right MIs w/ take out effects are many times better. I suppose I like to imagine a perfect world where alchemy is viable :rolleyes:

You are absolutely right in that alchemy is way expensive and you're also right MIs w/ take out effects are many times better. I suppose I like to imagine a perfect world where alchemy is viable :rolleyes:

3 levels of alchemy on an earth templar. Wouldn't give it up if you paid me.

Even then, it's just a matter of cost.

The most efficient way to deal damage with Alchemy I've found is a heavy crossbow with Vorpals, so long as you are making the bolts and Vorpals yourself.

At base costs and using a Workshop to double-coat bolts, I (with 1 Prof and 3 Backstabs at the moment) can do the following:

8 damage per shot base, for .5 copper per shot.
10 damage per shot for 3 copper per shot. (3.33 damage per copper)
13 damage per shot for 8 copper per shot. (1.625 damage per copper)
18 damage per shot for 10.5 copper per shot. (1.714 damage per copper)

This seems pretty good, but runs up against a real problem in that straight damage is mostly good for taking out crunchies... who don't drop sufficient loot to be worth spending 2-3 silver apiece to kill.

3 levels of alchemy on an earth templar. Wouldn't give it up if you paid me.

Do you think that's because you're an E-Templar or because of how useful Alc 3 is?

I ask because I have a secondary Fighter build with alchemy. It's just too useful.

Do you think that's because you're an E-Templar or because of how useful Alc 3 is?

I ask because I have a secondary Fighter build with alchemy. It's just too useful.

E templar. I also have a level of celestial for those fifth level scrolls and legerdemain, because why not? The only things I can't do are archery and waylay, and that's only because of race restrictions. And I don't carry a whole lot of MIs. I have my arcane, I have my pa to tell me what I should ignore in favor of letting lower level players have some fun, and I have my bottle. Frankly, those are the only rits I feel like I honestly need. I generally eschew MIs because I just don't find them as useful as just innately being able to do everything else. I have one of the most inefficiently built characters in the alliance, without even seeing what else is actually out there, but I also have easily one of the most useful and self sustainable.

I dueled a pure fighter at our last event, and in order to make it a fair fight, I agreed to first to 3 strikes no damage. Because if we'd gone all out, it wouldn't have been a contest. (He beat me... I'm out of practice, admittedly.)

It's not for everyone, I'll be the first to admit. But I'm really not joking when I say that I feel like a god on the field.

I voted Scout. I guess people don't see the power behind a Scout. I'm sure @Vry_Young_Pup will agree.
They can wreck house with out the use of magic items. They can get into it and safely get out unscathed.

They can wreck house with out the use of magic items. They can get into it and safely get out unscathed.

A Fighter can do this as well, given the right circumstances (night time, chaotic battle, etc.) without the need to call a Dodge/Evade (skills unique to a Scout that a Fighter wouldn't have normally have). A Rogue/Scout may be slightly more effective because attacks come from behind initially and they can Waylay/Terminate/Assassinate faster than I can "Prepare to Die...", but aside from that your class doesn't impact a players OOG ability to flank and get behind someone. Rogues/Scouts just have more tools to deal with the eventually of making a noise at the wrong time.

A Fighter can do this as well, given the right circumstances (night time, chaotic battle, etc.) without the need to call a Dodge/Evade (skills unique to a Scout that a Fighter wouldn't have normally have). A Rogue/Scout may be slightly more effective because attacks come from behind initially and they can Waylay/Terminate/Assassinate faster than I can "Prepare to Die...", but aside from that your class doesn't impact a players OOG ability to flank and get behind someone. Rogues/Scouts just have more tools to deal with the eventually of making a noise at the wrong time.

With all due respect Adam, the poll did not refer to OOG skill. In Nero/Alliance OOG skill > Stat card but the poll asks what we feel is the best mechanically. That goes to the Scout hands down, well IMO that is.

With all due respect Adam, the poll did not refer to OOG skill. In Nero/Alliance OOG skill > Stat card but the poll asks what we feel is the best mechanically. That goes to the Scout hands down, well IMO that is.

Fair enough, I didn't consider that. Given that added information/perspective, I'd agree with you.

Back