Ban Latex Weapons

access

LOL

notepad

openoffice

wave!

I likewise don't usually post on these types of threads, and first off I want to say I'm not trying to be derisive, call anyone a sissy, or take away the importance of safety and preventing injury. That being said, I have to second Scott's comments. This is a physical game. There are definitely times when you'll get hurt if you don't take the proper precautions. Honestly, most of the injuries that took me or other people out of combat for a period of time were not weapon related. I've seen a lot of injuries from falls, spills, and uneven terrain. Does that mean we should start requiring people to wear cleats and ankle support? That would certainly help in some scenarios, but I think the more feasible solution to those injuries and combat injuries are the same. Be attentive to what is going on around you.

I've had my bell rung by our conventional boffer weapons. I've been cut by the thrusting tips of people who use kite tape and duct tape. Will it be that much worse with latex? I don't know but I'd at least like to try it before jumping to conclusions. Again, the safety of combat comes down to responsible fighting techniques. If you're unsafe with a traditional boffer chances are you are going to be unsafe with a latex weapon. This doesn't mean we should ban latex weapons, it means we should address the problems with our player's fighting styles. I'm sure there will be a learning curve as people get used to how they swing and how much force is needed, but I have to agree with Scott. Wear some sort of protection even if it's just padded cloth where you're likely to get hit. That's being a responsible player. And maybe it means we need to donate some gambesons or simple armor pieces to NPC camp, but I'm all for adding more to our NPCs wardrobe.

I play this game to get hit and to hit people, unlike some LARPs which have combat come down to rock paper scissors. I admit, I'm probably too much of a sissy for the SCA so I don't go fight in SCA combat. Like the SCA there are other options for people that don't want to front line or are that concerned with being hit. I really don't think latex weapons will be an end all to people's fun if they want to get into combat. It just means our players might have to focus more on responsible fighting styles, and I want to say a big thank you to players like Scott who encourage good fighting and make the game more fun for all involved. Also, a big thank you to our marshals of all types who strive to keep the game safe.

Perhaps allowing latex weapons will start making people more conscious of how they fight since it's such a touchy subject. I think allowing latex weapons will greatly enhance the visual appeal of the game as well. I am all for giving us a real shot at using latex weapons and not base whether or not to ban them off of forum threads. I honestly believe that the safety of the weapon is much more in the hands of the wielder than in the weapon type. I'm also not opposed to allowing or banning latex weapons on a player by player basis not just a weapon by weapon basis. If you are called for several unsafe fighting infractions, and you are hurting people with your latex weapons, I think it's completely fair to say you can't use the weapon until you can fight more safely. Yeah that might suck to spend $200 and then be told you can't use it, but it would be all the more incentive to start fighting safer so you could use the weapon again. Just my two...or three cents on this matter.

P.S. - I think, but don't quote me, almost all latex weapons are now coated with some sort of sealant which is not latex based so people with latex allergies shouldn't be affected unless the weapon is torn.

Gwendara said:
P.S. - I think, but don't quote me, almost all latex weapons are now coated with some sort of sealant which is not latex based so people with latex allergies shouldn't be affected unless the weapon is torn.

I also found this in the weapons I looked into today.

I wasn't asking to be a jerk, btw, just asking because I have a bad latex allergy and want to know what I need to do to keep myself safe. I don't really care one way or another whether people use them or not. I guess I had thought maybe in chapters that allowed them, latex sensitive people could wear a red armband or something so people would know not to rub their weapons all over you, but if I just need to stay away from them, that works too. Just trying to be informed.

First, I think that Robb's comment about having a list of Marshalls publically posted (maybe in the Logistics area) is a great idea. Mike V., who has a current list of HQ Marshalls and how can we get that list to Robb?

Second, I agree with Scott K. He and I both played in the HQ chapter game back in 1980's and it was a very different game back then. There were a lot more physical players ("stickjocks") and combat was therefore more physical. In addition, we used 5/8" and 3/4" PVC pipe for weapons whereas now the trend is toward graphite and "ultralights," so when you got clocked, it was with a much heavier weapon.

I am certainly in favor of safety (which as a Faire Play owner is paramount) and I think for the most part our players are very safety-conscious. However, this is a physical activity, not a table-top game, and players should be prepared for the physicality of boffer combat. Again, not everyone needs to be Ithica or Scott or Tab (uber-athletes), but everyone who wants to participate in combat should be realistic.

Also, who among us has altered their combat effectiveness to match a lesser opponent? I bet everyone reading this has. I don't think I've ever seen a "stickjock" just physically destroy a player (PC or NPC) who barely knew which end of the sword to hold. I think that at HQ we do an overall good job of balancing safety and combat.

On another, partially unrelated note, I, too, get a little peeved when people complain about the physicality of hiking in the woods or climbing the hill from the stream during an event at our site. It's the wilderness and you're suppose to be exploring and adventuring! That's the very nature of our game! It's about 100 yards, for crying out loud! A little complaining about the trek from the stream is fine (hell, I do it, too!), but when I hear people *seriously* bitch about how hard it is to walk down to the stream for a battle, it peeves me. Maybe I'm being too defensive about our campsite and if so, I apologize. But I personally think that at the end of an event, you should be physically tired! That's what makes it fun!

Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

I'm an uber athlete. Eric said so, so it must be true.

Scott

So that's why the tree tried to take your skull off all those years ago. It was jealous at your elite uber athleticism! :lol:

mikestrauss said:
IvanDrake said:
Second, I agree with Scott K. He and I both played in the HQ chapter game back in 1980's and it was a very different game back then.

Fibber! :D

Ashbury started in 1993.

-MS

Ack! I've been revealed as a liar!

That was actually a typo. I meant "in the 1990's."

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

Ithica said:
Ahhh damn it....

If what Eric says is always true then,

I , Toddy am not a uber-athlete. But i play one at Nero, Ithica :)

-Toddy

Haha, only your character is an uber athlete. Too funny! :D

Yup, there is paint for them.

Brian, there are good safe reps, though not as fancy, for around 40 bucks. If you make a magic katana and it gets blown up or stolen from you IG, and you don't want to paint it back to grey, I will personally buy the rep off you and use it for npc camp in Deadlands, so long as it's still passable.

Gary

ps (for example)
http://darkknightarmory.com/p-211-knight-sword.aspx

He only offered so we can then Rez you with it.

Sorry for starting the thread. In some ways I have come around 180 degrees on this matter, though not due to this discussion.

I still am not fond of latex and if they end up being rare, I certainly won't be upset. That said, I was reminded, in a very unusual way, that this is a game and I'd rather roll with the changes than alienate friends or stop doing something I love.

See you all in the spring.

-MS

mikestrauss said:
Sorry for starting the thread. In some ways I have come around 180 degrees on this matter, though not due to this discussion.

I still am not fond of latex and if they end up being rare, I certainly won't be upset. That said, I was reminded, in a very unusual way, that this is a game and I'd rather roll with the changes than alienate friends or stop doing something I love.

See you all in the spring.

-MS

I just ordered 50 of them for npc camp...

Back