Barbarians, wheee!

Hey guys, 'sup?

well, i'm inquiring on some barbarian info, since, well, i'm going to be PCing one this summer (my PC first character, ever!) any information, the DL will greatly help!

many thanks ahead of time,
melissa

What chapter is your character going to be from?

Each chapter has their own plot for each of the races. So, it's best to get a race packet from your chapter for their specifics.

One thing I have noticed about first time players who play barbarians - they often come 'scantily clad' in furs and, although nothing inherently wrong with that, when night falls, it gets chilly. So be sure to have a warm clothes plan, even if it is just a cloak.

Seen too many blue barbarians in my time (without any makeup on).

Just one thing I gotta say, be very careful what opinions and things you do with celestial magic until you know the attitude of the local barbarians towards it. In some places even saying you were okay with it could get you res'ed... Did anyone say NH...? :D

Dreamingfurther said:
Just one thing I gotta say, be very careful what opinions and things you do with celestial magic until you know the attitude of the local barbarians towards it. In some places even saying you were okay with it could get you res'ed... Did anyone say NH...? :D

It is supposed to be like this in all chapters, per the Alliance rule book. Not using scrolls, sleeping in Wards, or carrying around celestial magic items is your trade-off for having access to Resist Fear and Resist Element.

The one chapter (that I know of) that decided "our barbarians are OK with celestial magic" is effectively ignoring the rules and, in my opinion, breaking the by-laws. It is not my place to police that, though.

Shane if you can PM me about this chapter we can have the Alliance GM take a look to see what this is about.

i'm going for both CT and NH chapters.

i do have some info now, thanks guys!
and i won't be totally scantily clad--i've decided i'll save that for the summer. it's still pretty dern cold. and i will be making a cloak thingy.

Great! You need to pick ONE chapter to be from, though. Your character can transfer all over the place, but she only was born in one place and should only know the background for that place. (Of course, you can travel elsewhere and learn about the other places that way!)

Fearless Leader said:
Great! You need to pick ONE chapter to be from, though. Your character can transfer all over the place, but she only was born in one place and should only know the background for that place. (Of course, you can travel elsewhere and learn about the other places that way!)

This is true, and fun! We are actually having an instance right this minute due to a non-resident Gypsy not knowing about the regional Gypsy heiarchy. :)

Shane said:
Dreamingfurther said:

It is supposed to be like this in all chapters, per the Alliance rule book. Not using scrolls, sleeping in Wards, or carrying around celestial magic items is your trade-off for having access to Resist Fear and Resist Element.

I don't have the new rulebook, but the most recent old one only states that Barbarians fear and distrust Celestial magic. It says nothing about killing casters until they Rez. The degree to which a PC roleplays the Taboo is up to the individual, though reprisals from stricter characters and/or Plot may be in order in some cases.

Telokh_Amdo said:
I don't have the new rulebook, but the most recent old one only states that Barbarians fear and distrust Celestial magic. It says nothing about killing casters until they Rez. The degree to which a PC roleplays the Taboo is up to the individual, though reprisals from stricter characters and/or Plot may be in order in some cases.

Awesome. From now on, then, I'm playing a human with racials.

Shane said:
Dreamingfurther said:

The one chapter (that I know of) that decided "our barbarians are OK with celestial magic" is effectively ignoring the rules and, in my opinion, breaking the by-laws. It is not my place to police that, though.

The rulebook really is vague on this, and it certainly isn't breaking explicit rules for them to sort of ignore celestial magic. All I'm saying is that in some places they don't like celestial magic but will grudgingly put up with Celestial casters. And in some places they will kill you even for talking about it. There is supposed to be variance through the chapters and I don't see how it would be breaking rules to have less distrust. As a Barbarian I'd certainly never use Celestial magic but this is a Grey area, aren't these Grey areas the places where things can get interesting?

Dreamingfurther said:
The rulebook really is vague on this, and it certainly isn't breaking explicit rules for them to sort of ignore celestial magic. All I'm saying is that in some places they don't like celestial magic but will grudgingly put up with Celestial casters. And in some places they will kill you even for talking about it. There is supposed to be variance through the chapters and I don't see how it would be breaking rules to have less distrust. As a Barbarian I'd certainly never use Celestial magic but this is a Grey area, aren't these Grey areas the places where things can get interesting?

No. Saying "in our chapter, barbarians are totally cool with Celestial magic" is not a gray area. At all.

I'm not saying all of us should want to kill and perm every Celestial scholar we meet, but all barbarians are supposed to dislike and not trust celestial magic, and refuse to have it cast upon them or wield it. This is why we get Resist Fear and Resist Element.

As someone who has played his race properly for 14 years, and suffered through it when our racial was Detect Celestial Magic, it irks me to see people essentially playing humans with +2 Body and the ability to purchase Resists.

I was just saying that the rulebook doesn't explicitly state that you are supposed to kill Sky casters. I'm completely in the camp of roleplaying every race properly.

Shane said:
No. Saying "in our chapter, barbarians are totally cool with Celestial magic" is not a gray area. At all.

lol you are completely right about that as far as the NH chapter goes. I never was disagreeing with you there. ;)

Shane said:
You all may not be able to tell, but I am mildly passionate about the Barbarian race. :p

Yah, I might have noticed that somewhere along the way... :D

Dreamingfurther said:
Shane said:

lol you are completely right about that as far as the NH chapter goes. I never was disagreeing with you there. ;)

I guess what I am saying is this (not NH-based):

If you decide to play an individual PC barbarian that has embraced celestial magic, despite your race's aversion to it, then cool. You may get ganked, but that's a personal challenge for you.

When a chapter's plot team decides "none of our barbarians dislike or fear celestial magic -- lots of them employ it just like other races do," then they are breaking the spirit of the rules.

This is my beef. Not a player who wants to be the outcast/exile/soon-to-perm "varg."

Shane said:
Dreamingfurther said:
Shane said:

I guess what I am saying is this (not NH-based):

If you decide to play an individual PC barbarian that has embraced celestial magic, despite your race's aversion to it, then cool. You may get ganked, but that's a personal challenge for you.

When a chapter's plot team decides "none of our barbarians dislike or fear celestial magic -- lots of them employ it just like other races do," then they are breaking the spirit of the rules.

This is my beef. Not a player who wants to be the outcast/exile/soon-to-perm "varg."

I agree.

Back