Best Class level 10-20 and leading beyond

Good morning all,

Question is: Best or most enjoyable class 10-20
Follow up question: What best converts into the best most enjoyable class 20 and beyond

I wanted to ask this question to get as many perspectives as possible, before choosing the route I am taking. I completely understand the concept of playing whatever I think I will have most fun with and I plan to do so, but for myself as a player I also want to be effective and this will add to my enjoyment. I ultimately want to end up as a one of the following three:

Adept
Scout
Fighter (Not sure if this is viable 10-20 and then beyond)
Earth Templar

I was looking at the ability to change your class eventually, but not sure how much difference that would make to me.

Would love the heard peoples input on this.

Thanks!

Kevin Green

I think it largely depends on persoanl play style to be honest. What do you want from the game at high level. If your talking raw metagame its golems or polearme fighters.

Celestial templar at level 30 plus is sick, golem plus profs and parries, but most classes get something good end game. You can reasonably have a golem as a c-caster around 20. And fighters are unlimited damage, a level 30 fighter with polearm, profs, and parries is a beast and has the best raw damage out put in the game. Combine that with not spending resources on a golem you can have a strong cloak wall.

I would love for healers to be more butch at high level but honestly rebirth is pretty ba, something has to put serious effort to rezz you. It does gt outshined by the other classes though.

Last thought think about the level 30 mwe artisan. You are a master at all production and have a ton of cos. This can be really ba for the right person. Not for me but I have a friend or two who this appeals a lot too.

Well it looks like you are focused on the fighter class with different flavors added on. So I'd stick with a straight up Fighter at 10, then try NPCing a bit more to see which skills you want to tag on. If you go straight fighter, do you want as much damage (profs) as possible or do you want the fun fighter skills (slays, eviscerate, etc.). If you want some Rogue skills (evade/dodge/assassinate), you can go Scout/Adept. In the Scout vs. Adept, alchemy is really the pivotal skill. If you want to self-heal with Earth Magic, go Templar, although I've rarely seen this concept work. Healing is mostly used from one player to another ("backpacking" a scholar/fighter together) or through potions.

Anyway you go, it's really difficult to feel effective in the way you are describing if you divide your specialties more than once. You've already mentioned personal happiness, but let me help you get more focused. The equation that really only you can answer is: Fighter + ??? = Best Class for Kevin Green.

My input is based on a different sort of take.

To me badass/effective means that I get to play the most game possible. So here is what I do-

NEVER call the most damage, call two points less. That way you still effect almost everything and are not constantly hit by prisons/take outs etc.

Do not use expendables in a wave battle, save them for modules and woods/smaller fights. In wave battles there are so many damn people sometimes you have no idea if the thing you hit even knows it was hit. Also why slay a monster that has 5+ lives? Why worry about it? And on modules or smaller fights what you use matters more.

Do not fight the big boss. Unless you are already living at that power lvl you are unlikely to earn/get a seat at that table- that spot is filled. Kill 2nd's in command.

Talk to EVERYONE. Modules = getting more from the game. Get those hooks- and then let others go on them. That gets you Lifed when the town starts running out.

Do NOT go for a Golem. Hear me out. My mission statement is play the most game possible. Rift opens up? Unless monsters come out of it in a few tics RUN INTO THAT RIFT. A Golem player sometimes worries about going into the unknown because of the investement. My flesh bag characters have no such concern. Golem's are powerful, but remember my idea abount NOT calling the most damage. Same idea here- do NOT make yourself a target (unless you want to that is- but with a Golem it is harder to hide).

Get chummy with the in-game power structures. Get to go to secret meetings. Become influential. Set up battle plans that guarentee that you play a vital role, but can avoid being put in a losing situation (as much as possible).

Buy Weaponmaster. And then go around for a day with one sword. It will make you a better fighter no matter what style you fight with. Also helps because when any sort of magic melee whacker comes out you can use it.

So what class does all that- Earth Weaponmaster Templar who tells everyone he is celestial so they do not bother him for healing. Ohh and Read Magic and a 2/1 because 2 Fortresses are GREAT once you decide to fight 2nd in commands and another repel/magic armor never hurts.

Fighter's are awesome at all levels. If you don't think that you haven't considered the different ways in witch to build them! :)

Dreamingfurther said:
Fighter's are awesome at all levels. If you don't think that you haven't considered the different ways in witch to build them! :)

Fighters that have magic items, racials, or backpacks to give them Packet defenses are awesome at all levels.

Avaran said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Fighters that have magic items or backpacks to give them Packet defenses are awesome at all levels.

So make friends?

That's where the (created) magic items and the "backpacks" come in. :)

The game includes magic items and production treasure that can go a long ways to provide character skill support... Play one or two events and that will be readily apparent to anyone.

Is it reasonable to NOT plan characters and play the game under the expectations that magic items 'shouldn't' factor into the long term viability/construction of a given class? Personally I don't think so, but if you feel that way we can certainly talk about it. :)

But the OP is asking what class can be the most fun/enjoyable both short term and long term. And I think there are many reasons why Fighters can be awesome at all levels.

And even beyond that, if there were no such thing as magic items or dragon magic in the game... Make friends and yea fighters are awesome at all levels. Endless continuous damage is sweet. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or trying to sell you something... ;) (the last sentence was meant as a light comment to raise the mood, please ignore it if it would set you off into a flame war...)

Realistically, it doesn't matter what your class is (or race).
All skills are open to everyone, it is usually just costs that prohibits the OMG-Uber-Munchkin guy.
Toss in the Respec, Race Change, and other Rits; you are not ever really locked into anything.

I play a high level Sarr earth templar. I still took three levels of alchemy. I took read magic and a first level celestial spell for spell shield scrolls. I can be an utter beast on the field as well as filling any gaps. I am always useful even when medpaging after getting heat exhaustion at an event.

Thank you all for the input, it is really appreciated.

At this point, it seems like polearm warrior might be the way to go for me. It gives a good damage boost at lower levels that carriers well into the upper levels. It is also a style I have not fought, usually I am married to sword and board, but I think it might be time for a new style to learn.

I may consider doing a small celestial column or Alchemy 3, though I have never been much for expendable resources like that.

My big temptation is to go celestial scholar or templar and do the golem thing, simply because I always wanted to store in a golem so that is really tempting...especially since it lets you basically buy magic items into the golem the use of resources seems really strong.

I am thinking the answer right now is polearm fighter potentially forging later to templar.

Now to find someone who makes a GREAT UL polearm.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Polearm fighter is a strong style. I played one for several years before I had to switch over to scholar to save my knees.

I would recommend trying it out as an NPC for an event before you fully commit to it. Some people just don't like it and I would hate for you to spend the build (and the cash on a rep) only to find out that you don't enjoy it.

Some good things to keep in mind for a strong polearm style:

1. Work on your footwork. You'll be backing up quickly A LOT.
2. Buy your parries. One of my favorite parts of fighting with a polearm was the ability to parry for people that weren't right next to me. It made the difference in more than a few fights.
3. Make sure to have a plan for fighting critters with spellstrikes. They are sneaky strong against polearms if you dont watch out.

Stephen

RiddickDale said:
Polearm fighter is a strong style. I played one for several years before I had to switch over to scholar to save my knees.

I would recommend trying it out as an NPC for an event before you fully commit to it. Some people just don't like it and I would hate for you to spend the build (and the cash on a rep) only to find out that you don't enjoy it.

Some good things to keep in mind for a strong polearm style:

1. Work on your footwork. You'll be backing up quickly A LOT.
2. Buy your parries. One of my favorite parts of fighting with a polearm was the ability to parry for people that weren't right next to me. It made the difference in more than a few fights.
3. Make sure to have a plan for fighting critters with spellstrikes. They are sneaky strong against polearms if you dont watch out.

Stephen

Agreeing with Steve on this one. Big damage delivering fighters are in high demand, and at 1.5 pts of damage per prof, two-handers are a good way to go. I can tell you honestly that if you showed up at Caldaria as a team-less, 10th to 20th level, polearm fighter (assuming the character is not Necro Mcserialkiller or Sir Deathwish Von Lichetaunter), I would do borderline absurd things to covet him. Backrubs, pep talks, magic items, whatever, sign here…

I always tell people to just buy the skills they want to have and the class will sort itself out in the fluid class system. If you want to be a fighter with spells, buy fighter skills first and when you're somewhat effective as a fighter, start buying caster skills. Eventually, you'll have enough caster skills that it'll be more "cost-efficient" to be a Templar than a Fighter and your class will slide over. If you want to be a Rogue with some Fighter skills, get your Backstabs, Dodges/Evades, and Alchemy early on and then start picking up Profs, Parries, Slays, or whatever else. The same goes for any class combination...start with your "primary" and then buy skills for your "secondary" and your class will slide on over seamlessly.

Also, keep in mind that Archers benefit from the 1.5x profs as well as polearm fighters. Or, if you're looking for a little extra reach but want to keep your shield, go with a shield/spear combo. Try fighting with a bunch of different styles (as an NPC, sparring with your friends, check out a local Amtgard group, etc.) to see what works best for you.

-Luke

KevinGreen said:
Dammit Gary, with the comment you are going to make me want to play caldaria now...

Good chance my team would welcome you in NH as well.

Hmm, I hope that works out...Playing is so much more fun when you have people to share it with!!

I am currently on the quest to find a really nice polearm, once I hear back from some feelers I sent out, hopefully I will have one under construction!

Thanks again for the input!

Kev

Avaran said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Fighters that have magic items, racials, or backpacks to give them Packet defenses are awesome at all levels.

Magic Items are awesome on all levels.

A fighter with a DA weapon, Arcane, and a pocket full of cloaks is going to be good.

However, nothing will match up to a caster with Arcane Armor, a DA weapon, and maybe a golem body to go along with those cloaks. There's no end-game ability for fighters like Formal or High Magic for casters.

Swinging 10-15-20's all day constantly against 'anything'. If we are comparing the 'best'/high level end games for scholars/fighters then those are the numbers to think about.

x per/day Parry/Dodge/Eviscerate/Slays. = awesome and not duplicatable with MI's. Yes you can have a pocket full of times evers... but once those are gone they are gone. A fighter/rogue just goes back to logistics...

The power of the repetitive damage and per day mele skills cannot be overstated in combat.

Yes a fighter will never be casting rituals or activating certain high magic abilities. Those are awesome 'powers' that only the scholar will get. But even with all the 'tricks' in the world a scholar is always going to be weaker in direct combat than a fighter. And yes I'm talking about even taking into consideration a golem. +8 str, and +8 from a slayer will yes allow that scholar to swing 18's against the right monster (or 15's with a +3 da...). But a fighter/rogue that has the 10-16 profs to match that will also easily have 4+ per day fighter skill defensives and also be able to just 'take' the random terminate/eviscerate and whatnot...

Not to mention having 50-60 body vs the 20-30 of a scholar also adds up.

Bottom line I think they both greatly have their strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think one class can just 'do it all'.

Back