Blade spells proposal

Earth Blade, Magic Blade and Elemental Blade spells will last for a 10 minute duration after casting, with no damage enchancement bonus.

Hmm... interesting. On one hand, that would make them more useful long term. On the other hand, you lose the damage, which also means that you can't blow all of them at once with a vorpal for like 30 any more.
I have an inclination that this has something to do with "duplicating fighter build, and we can't have that," but that might be the jade glasses.
Gotta think about it.

I like this, have been hoping to see it for some time. Far too many cases of fighting trolls, undead, whatever and only the big boys with the big toys get to play cause no one else can hurt em. On the other hand, there's also the problem of things with high thresholds that can't be hurt by the lower level players. Could it maybe be put in that the spell can do one of two things:

1) This will ad the X carrier to all weapon swings for ten minutes.
2) This will ad the X carrier plus 5 points of damage against one opponent, much like Crit Attack or Back attack.

Put those in and I think you'll see 4th and 6th level spell slot memorization change drastically for C-casters especially.

Drop the current incarnations down a level, create another spell to the no +Damage / 10 min duration effect a couple levels up.

I know quite a few people rely on these spells to get around things like Thresholds and such. If there's a Spell for each type, it may even increase peoples' usage of production items (Like Mike seems to want to push on harder by the minute).

1. Can the wielder activate the effect at any time, or is it 10 minutes from casting? I just reread the OP. Answer was there. :)
2. Does it affect one weapon or can you switch weapons within the 10 minute timeframe.
3. Can the wielder de-activate the spell, cast another blade spell to over-write the spell (for instance, using Elemental Blade: Flame, want Elemental Blade: Ice), or must the caster/wielder wait for the 10 minute duration?
4. Will this devalue the Elemental Aura Spellcraft? If people can scroll Elemental Blade, then why would someone pay for the scroll and waste the components instead of saving the components for something better?

The proposal has been amended to include the following:

Also, Blade Spells can no longer be Spellcrafted.

Rituals for damage, earth, chaos and elemental auras can no longer be spellcrafted.

I'm marginally in favor of this.

I'd be 100% on board if they either made a +damage blade spell to accompany it, OR made some changes to alchemy to make Vorpals (and Alchemical light>.>) usable by the general masses.

Re: Blade spells proposal - revised

Earth Blade, Magic Blade and Elemental Blade spells will last for a 10 minute duration after casting, with no damage enchancement bonus.

Damage aura, earth/chaos aura and elemental aura rituals may not be spellcrafted.

The above revision is the new proposal. The voting has been reset.

My commentary remains the same. I'm marginally in favor, but there are many that do rely on the damage part of the spells as is to beat thresholds.

I never really used the Blade spells before. With this change I might actually consider them, but it is doubtful. Likely, I will just have scrolls of Elemental Blade and Magic Blade just in case I might need them.

If people need the extra damage they can get an Endow.

JP, can you clarify why you don't like this change?

Oh, and these questions were never answered. Can anyone help?

Alavatar said:
2. Does it affect one weapon or can you switch weapons within the 10 minute timeframe.
3. Can the wielder de-activate the spell, cast another blade spell to over-write the spell (for instance, using Elemental Blade: Flame, want Elemental Blade: Ice), or must the caster/wielder wait for the 10 minute duration?

I am fairly against this. I wouldnt mind if it was the 1st made shot, instead of the first swing, but other than that the blade spells work as one shot tricks, and thats all they need to be. Making them elemental aura just makes fighters more powerfull and everyone else suffer.

as to this
"Rituals for damage, earth, chaos and elemental auras can no longer be spellcrafted."

No No No No No No No

These are spellcrafted all the time and are a great drain on components.

Alavatar said:
JP, can you clarify why you don't like this change?
X-minute effects need to die a fast, horrible death. We have enough fudging of effect durations as it is. Prison is workable since you can ignore all other timed effects for the most part. But you can be Slept, Waylaid, Unconscious, Nausea'd, Drained, Diseased, Paralyzed, and more all at the same time, and have to keep track of each time limit separately. Why add to that pain?

I suspect it is more likely that players will conveniently fudge the ten-minute duration to be even longer while simultaneously continuing to play their detrimentals as much shorter. I'd rather see the duration as "per combat" (which tends to be pretty easily defined), or "per logistical period" (which is fairly rigidly defined).

Removing spellcrafting from the Damage, Elemental and Earth/Chaos Aura scrolls only helps the people that don't want to rely on Celestial formalists (for one, those are better defined, duration-wise and target-wise). Formalists like using their skill. It justifies the build they spent. Elemental Aura and Damage Aura are mainstays of Celestial casting. Removing that from their exclusive options makes them even less necessary.

Kauss said:
I am fairly against this. I wouldnt mind if it was the 1st made shot, instead of the first swing, but other than that the blade spells work as one shot tricks, and thats all they need to be. Making them elemental aura just makes fighters more powerfull and everyone else suffer.
Those spells already are one-shots, not first swing.

Those are some pretty sound arguments, JP. Guess I hadn't really thought about it.

I change my mind. This proposal isn't terribly necessary. Toss it out.

jpariury said:
Kauss said:
Those spells already are one-shots, not first swing.

Not unless its in the addendium. In the main book all 3 spells (earth blade,magic blade,elemental blade) are good for one swing. Even if you hit nothing (aka no defences, you just miss or swing at air with the call) you use the effect. Now admitedly you dont use it untill you call it, but if they really want to make the spells better (in my view) work them like a slay where you keep making the call untill one solid hit (defended or not)

Ahh I see the confusion. When I say first swing I mean first called swing (aka you activate it by changing the damage call and you get one swing) I know you dont use the effect up on the 1st attack after the cast (unlike coatings)

jpariury said:
I'd say no, only because I don't believe the game needs more X-minute effects.

I agree with JP. There are already so many effects with timers, it's a pain in the backside to keep track of crap like this, especially for those of us who don't have time pieces readily handy. I don't want to have to carry a stop watch with me everywhere I go (personal preference, no offense to those who do). :(

Back