Blade spells proposal

I'd still object to it because Blade spells would still be scrollable (and therefore you have less need for the spellcrafted version), available for enchant/expanded enchant (making the formal-cast version less necessary) and because it now includes removing the spellcrafted version.

X-minute effects need to die a fast, horrible death. We have enough fudging of effect durations as it is. Prison is workable since you can ignore all other timed effects for the most part. But you can be Slept, Waylaid, Unconscious, Nausea'd, Drained, Diseased, Paralyzed, and more all at the same time, and have to keep track of each time limit separately. Why add to that pain?

I suspect it is more likely that players will conveniently fudge the ten-minute duration to be even longer while simultaneously continuing to play their detrimentals as much shorter. I'd rather see the duration as "per combat" (which tends to be pretty easily defined), or "per logistical period" (which is fairly rigidly defined).

Removing spellcrafting from the Damage, Elemental and Earth/Chaos Aura scrolls only helps the people that don't want to rely on Celestial formalists (for one, those are better defined, duration-wise and target-wise). Formalists like using their skill. It justifies the build they spent. Elemental Aura and Damage Aura are mainstays of Celestial casting. Removing that from their exclusive options makes them even less necessary.

On the opposite side of the argument it does mean that people would need to go to a formalist to actually get the items made, thus expanding business for formalists.

One piece of the argument I can see is that the use of spellcrafted auras does cause problems for scaling. Suddenly everyone in the game has access to a daily magic sword of some kind. In order to scale appropriately you end up with monster inflation which makes the game more difficult for those who don't have access to the spellcrafting for whatever reason.

How many times has the town banded together and given almost everyone an earth blader when they know the undead are coming? Many by my count. This kind of evewns that battlefield.

Dave said:
How many times has the town banded together and given almost everyone an earth blader when they know the undead are coming? Many by my count. This kind of evewns that battlefield.

Dude really? I haven't seen it. Why don't I get to get in on the good candy?

I think you're over-estimating how many people have been recipients and how often it's happened, Dave.

Dave said:
On the opposite side of the argument it does mean that people would need to go to a formalist to actually get the items made, thus expanding business for formalists.

One piece of the argument I can see is that the use of spellcrafted auras does cause problems for scaling. Suddenly everyone in the game has access to a daily magic sword of some kind. In order to scale appropriately you end up with monster inflation which makes the game more difficult for those who don't have access to the spellcrafting for whatever reason.

This change will make that more prevelant. When people spellcrafted they just gave themselves the auras most of the time, except in the case of Monster Slayer and Racial Reaver. Actually, Elemental Aura does not add any damage to the weapon at all (and I think Earth/Chaos Aura doesn't either). Also, you needed a Formal Scroll, a component on that scroll, and a Formalist to spellcraft these rituals. Therefore, this change will decrease the amount of business Formalists get due to the fact that spellcrafting is, in general, more prevelant then actually casting a ritual.

Now, it will be standard for everyone to have at least two Elemental Blade scrolls and two Magic Blade scrolls. Earth/Choas Blade cannot be made into a potion (at this point in time), so that will still need to be memorized. With Elemental Blade and Magic Blade becoming "standard equipment" you will see a lot more people swinging for magic, flame, and ice (not so much stone just because few people use it, and not so much lightning because that is a lot of syllables).

I don't really care either way, I am just pointing out what I see as counter-arguments to Dave's statements.

Thank you. I am actually bringing the arguments here to the Owners' board and vice-versa. I think this dialogue brings in a lot of problems they are not seeing sometimes.

This has been withdrawn from voting to be re-written by ARC. The proposal is going to a more crit attack/back attack model

Dave said:

Um.. you just named a classic example of PCs thinking well, and working together and using their resorces well. That (in my view) should bloody well make the scale in the PCs favor. Monster inflation is a bad reaction to the PCs using the IG resorces well instead of being greedy, hording, basteches.
I think that scaleing something for long term and known things like magic items and weapons is fine, but since spellcraft uses limited components, and limited applications (aka you can only do X spellcrafts per Y time) the reward for using them right is to make the fight easyer.

I still want to know if the following three questions can be answered:

1.) Can you switch weapons while the blade spell is active? (i.e. Using a bow with Magic Blade active. Someone gets close, I drop the bow and pull out my non-magical sword.)

2.) Will the spell be "handed"? (i.e. Will one Magic Blade affect both swords of a Florentine fighter?)

3.) Can the person with the Blade Spell prematurely end the effect and apply a new one? (i.e. I have a Flame Blade on my sword. Can I deactivate it and cast another Elemental Blade spell for an Ice Blade?)

4.) I am not familiar with crit attack or "per battle" effects. If it is a "per battle" effect and you are in "wave" combat will the effect persist throughout the scene? Or will the effect dissipate at the end of each "wave"?

Crit attack refers to the way Critical attack works, which is it adds one damage to all your melee swings against one specific opponent for one fight. So, if you're walking along and run into a troll, instead of saving that Elemental blade spell for the KB you could swing "flame" for the whole fight against him.

Well, until we see what the new proposal looks like, I don't think I can answer any of the questions you have, Alavatar. Lert's wait and see what they hand us to discuss.

Maxondaerth said:
Crit attack refers to the way Critical attack works, which is it adds one damage to all your melee swings against one specific opponent for one fight. So, if you're walking along and run into a troll, instead of saving that Elemental blade spell for the KB you could swing "flame" for the whole fight against him.

My question was in regards to wave combat, though, where there are 4 NPCs that fight for 3 waves for a total of 12 monsters/enemies. Does the Elemental blade last throughout the 3 waves, or does it dissapate after the first wave?

Back