Broken promise

Trunk

Trunk seems to be sitting uncertainly in his seat, as if he is looking forward to something. He has set out 2 cups of his favorite juice, bear dice, 1 and a half cookies (he ate some), a bright yellow ball, and his favorite coloring book.

As people come and go, passing him by, he colors and twiddles with the cord coming off his neck occasionally. As time passes, he looks around less and less. He continues to color in his book and tug at his cord.

Trunk tries to greet people as time goes on, but after hearing from everyone that they are too busy enough times, he eventually stops looking for a friendly face in the crowd.

As the hustle and bustle passes him, the look of hope begins to fade from his uncertain eyes. He nervously rolls his bear dice a few times, and does a few exercises before he sits back down to his table with a sad look on his face, an empty cup of juice, and half a cookie on his side of the table. Nothing but dissapoinent lies on the other.

Gally made her way along, looking around. Noticing the rather sad looking orc she made her way over, pulling a few papers and chalks from her basket. "Don't look so glum, winter doesn't last forever" she offered as she motioned to a near by seat.

Gally Thornrose of the Waupani

Trunk lets hope flow back to his eyes, with a bit of caution. "I made extra snack for friend. Did not know friend was you."

The smile of a beggar getting his first meal beams across his face, accenting a tear of joy. "Name Trunk, what youur name, friend?"

"I'm Gally, Gally Thornrose. It's always nice to meet a new friend, Trunk. Is that your name because you're as sturdy as a tree? I'm Waupani. We're from the islands down south."

She peered at his book curiously, then pulled a paper wrapped package from her basket containing a seed and sugar bar and offered it to him as she took her seat.

Trunk gleefully accepts the seed and sugar bar, pulling it in close, like a child experiencing the first Christmas.

"I like you story about name, more happy story than true story. Mine is find Trunk in broken tree, is how got name."

He ponders momentarily, and breaks the bar in half, cautiously placing a piece on the same plate as your cookie. As he takes a bite out of his piece, he tears up a little.

"I from Raging Plains, raised with animal masters, lucky be alive. Miss my dog, but this town have nice people." He carefully pulls out what appears to be an toy of sorts, a few twigs and some fur twined together in a fashion resembling a dog. "Is best Trunk make, for best friend Trunk make."

"Can I make picture of you?" As he opens his book again, more concerning pictures are witnessed.

"Oh.. you can have the whole thing, I have more where that came from.. you know, I sleep as a bush sometimes. When I have a long sleep. I think we're all lucky to be alive in our own way. Where I'm from, there's an island that's corrupted, those of my kind who were sleeping there were not as lucky as me." she takes the cookie, nibbling at it a bit. "You know, one of the things I really like there is that everyone belongs to themselves. We work together and help each other, but at the end of the day, we are responsible for only our self. It's very laid back. As long as you're not hurting others or worrying excessively." She smiled at him. "Please. Feel free. I don't mind."

Trunk looks on, almost glazed over as he hears your worlds, in as much amazement as a child meeting their missing sister of 3 years. Then he snaps back to your comment about life.

"I told early to know words: This one is simply glad to be allowed to Live. I know pain of friends not so lucky to live, but I learn to carry with me, like memory of parents, make feel of better times. I like idea of care of self, but if need help who help? I guess everyone. Would be nice some day I feel of myself." He tugs at his cord a bit, almost shrinking into his seat, assuming the helpless posturing of a puppy in trouble for eating a shoe. His eyes take on the darting expression of an animal that hears a predator in the grass, examining everyone in a different light. "Is hard remember nice people here, not bad people. Very different here, very better here."

"What you do here? You make fire, swing sword, fix broken people?"

"I'm a scholar of Earth magics. Admittedly, just a novice compared to most here, but I can fix broken people. I can also fix armor and make potions. I can teach others." She smiled a bit at him, picking up her juice and drinking it. "It's interesting around here, we have people like Zeth, Garrick, and Nova who seem very interested in making sure we do well and learn, and yet are protected at the same time."

"I hear Earth magic is magic make people stand up, not knock people down. Is good fix armor, help people stay up in fight. I need meet these people you talk about, much to learn. Remember Garrick name, he going teach me use stick for hitting better. Zeth I talk to one time, he was a little broken. I think Nova talk like town boss or something."

His stance in his seat relaxes, and he seems to be enjoying the lack of stress in the moment.

"Well I don't know any spells that would knock someone over, that's for sure. Garrick is very nice, helpful, remembers what it is like to be the little person. Zeth can be a bit fustrating at times, but is usually a good guy, Nova is probably the oldest person I have ever met, except for a few immortals that serve Domonus... dominus... the Khronos guy."

"Mayhaps you be my guide, show trunk these people, say hello for me? No good at meet new people, just friend like you."

If an orc could make puppy dog eyes at you, he just did. It's almost cute, borderline pathetic, but mostly hilarious.

Gally blinked a few times, confused look at the orc version of puppy eyes. "Oh course I can introduce you. Garrick is likely the easiest to find. Have you ever tried to find a busy raccoon kyn? Best to make it so they want to find you. " She giggled just a bit, mischievous written all over her face. She then looked a bit more serious. "Nova is likely the hardest, she's very old and therefore important and therefore busy. "

Roann enters, bracers in one hand and his leather-bound journal in the other. His travel bag is slung over one shoulder and his sleeves, rolled up, are stained with dry blood. He takes a seat at the far end of the tavern, affording only a single piercing glare at all present before setting his things on the table and dropping his bag. He produces a quill and vial of ink and cracks open his journal, briefly glancing up once more before he begins scribing something carefully on a bare page. At some point he produces a single glass orb from one of his belt-pouches and rolls it idly between the fingers of his unused hand.

To Gally "Would be good meet your Garrick, but who that guy?" Trunk gestures toward the newcomer at the end of the table. "Look like have bad day, and sit down to draw picture. I know how this is. Maybe I get cookie and juice, make him new friend? What you think?"

She tenses up, looking over at Roann, her eyes just going wide at the very suggestion they go make friends with him.

Roann doesn't seem to take note of them, the only sound from him the scratching of his quill across the page.

"You nice lady, how he not like you? Of course he like you, I like you. Was he mean to you? Do you want me to bonk him with stick or hammer? What big deal?"

Last edited:
After a long day a lone dwarf walks in. He places his shield and sword in the corner. The sun makes him sparkle a bit. His plate armor looks new. As he looks around he spots the orc and dryad.

He walks over and says Hello to his dryad friend but remembers her averison to his gear. He looks at the orc and smiles.

"Hello new friend. I offer you cookie and juice? Better than cookie and juice you no have."

He smiles sheepishly, as he gets into his bag and starts fishing out the goodies.

"My name Trunk, who you, friend?"

Durnic, his back to the wall of the rear of the tavern, leans forward in his chair. A thin plume of smoke unwraps itself from his pipe. "Trunk, my boy, if you would like any training at all of the martial variety, just let me know."

Back