Calling all Scouts.

John

Artisan
I am thinking of shifting from fighter to scout and wanted to hear from any or all scouts.

1. Did you shift or start off scout?

2.If you shifted, What level did you shift over?

3. What are your suggestions for progression in this class?

Thank you to all who respond in advance,
John

I rules forged into scout several years ago, having played up as a Templar for many years, before fluid class was a thing.

The best option is to pick either fighter or rogue and buy whatever it is you'll want when you're done.

There are a lot of ways to build the class and the "best" build is going to depend a lot on how you play the game. More info on that would definitely help people help you.

Thanks. I currently play an archer who seems to forget he shouldn't be on the front line in wave battles. I always end up the target of the enemy scholars because they are usually my target. I usually end up on one of the flanks on these battles. I am tall so flinging over shoulders of sword and boarders is no problem. hhmmm. Dunno what else to put.

What class are you now? Where is your build at? Do you run?

Fighter, 63 spent and 5 free , Archery, OHE, Style Master, Read/Write, 2 Profs, First Aid, Teach, 3 Craftsman (Tracker) In short bursts that are pretty quick.

Get your parry first since you have the build for it.

Sticking to fighter until you have 4 profs and two parries and then getting rogue skills until you fluid over is often a common tactic. Then go up by 2s in each depending on what you want to build. Always make sure you do your rogue skills in bursts of 2 backstabs, 1 dodge, 2 evades (often in that order instead of getting the evades after the backstab).

Do you want to stay a primary archer who is more a skirmisher? Would you rather focus on defense over raw damage? That's going to define your balance between profs and backstabs.

This was more to find out how and when others made the jump as I am not sure yet that I am gonna switch. I have only PCed 2 events so barly know which way is up.

I am likely to start going scout once I am at eight profs, four parries and two ripostes. Not sure if I'm gonna pick up Slays or not yet before I do so.

I am very interested to see what people say in this thread.

I am likely to start going scout once I am at eight profs, four parries and two ripostes. Not sure if I'm gonna pick up Slays or not yet before I do so.
That would be close to level 20 wouldn't it (after build adjustments for the increase in cost for profs)? That's some long-term planning. Hoping to not get this one obliterated? :p

I dunno if I could switch over at that point.

Your best bet is to get all the profs you are going to want before you flip. Swinging 10s is a solid spot to go for but it will hurt when you star to buy backstabs. It's a little easier going from rogue to scout, because profs are cheaper for rogues than backstabs for fighters and the dodges give you excellent survivability.

8 Profs is great, 10s with one hand 15s with 2 handers (including bows etc. 16 with a heavy crossbow if you really want to be THAT guy)

Generally I think of scouts as skipping the attack skills (slay, eviscerate etc.) in order to have enough to buy the defenses (dodge, evade, parry etc.)

Defenses were what I was thinking about but the extra damage helps too.

Dave is on the money. Profs and parries till 10s and then backstabs and dodges (maybe evades, I've had events where I go through all 10 and events where I've got almost no need to use them).

Stun limb is great. The rest of the offensive skills should wait.

Gotcha. So I still have plenty of time before I have to decide and not be to far behind.

I think as long as you plan out your build in advance you'll do fine. I started my fighter with the idea that I'd eventually go scout, but then I got all excited about blade skills. Now that I'm at about level 20 there's no chance I'm going scout without a spirit forge because I've got too much build invested in being a fighter.

8 Profs is great, 10s with one hand 15s with 2 handers (including bows etc. 16 with a heavy crossbow if you really want to be THAT guy)

Generally I think of scouts as skipping the attack skills (slay, eviscerate etc.) in order to have enough to buy the defenses (dodge, evade, parry etc.)
I like the idea of consistent damage instead of being bursty. Does anyone have a conflicting opinion that can tell me why I should purchase Slays or Eviscerates?

That would be close to level 20 wouldn't it (after build adjustments for the increase in cost for profs)? That's some long-term planning. Hoping to not get this one obliterated? :p
To be fair, Cael only ended up Spirit Shattered. If I 10% (again) as Durnic, I am just going to quit this game. :p

We don't want to lose you, Rick, so I promise not to enslave you and make you shatter your own spirit in front of your friends, again.

I like the idea of consistent damage instead of being bursty. Does anyone have a conflicting opinion that can tell me why I should purchase Slays or Eviscerates?

Slay, when purchased in sufficient quantity, is the best source of burst damage in the game, provided you are willing to burn all of them at once. Dumping 550 damage into a single target is an excellent way to make sure it is either extremely dead or so busy burning through defensives that it is unable to properly respond to other sources of smaller but consistent damage.

Eviscerate is fantastic for stopping your foes from rifting away, or ripping out of binding.

Both of them make you feel like a hero.

Back